Hi Truckers!!

Hi All!!

My name is Liam. and a class c/2 driver.
I have been at it for a couple of weeks now, which is great and loving being on the road. I qualified in August and got a job at the beginning of this month.
I have a few incidents already and had the truck in the garage 3 times, I’m just feeling a little concerned about my driving, does anyone else feel the same?
I look back at my training and its nothing compared to what we have to cope with on the road. I guess I feel at undertrained if you know what I mean?

with the incidents that I have had already, I do worry about my routes, for example, the one I have tomorrow which is in the center of Edinburgh with the tight turns and slim streets, its just concerning.
Has anyone had any of the same feelings and worries, just would like to know so i know that I’m not the only one lol

Thanks

Nobody is perfect, no matter what they say - Nice that your company appears to be understanding

Are you using a Truckers Sat Nav or Truckers Atlas by chance? These might give you better routes that are more suitable for vehicles your size etc.

I’ve not driven in Edinburgh but I have done plant delivery in Central London. If you need to slow to a walking pace for some turns or even stopping to get out and look to be sure, then so be it - Much better than hitting something and the associated paperwork etc

Make sure your mirrors are spotlessly clean with the mirror heaters on when raining etc - It makes life much easier.

If you have a reversing camera, you’re not relying purely on that are you? A place I did some agency work with had drivers reversing into things all the time as they relied on the camera and didn’t bother with mirrors

Good Luck - Things get easier over time :slight_smile:

It’s a steep learning curve for new drivers. After 100 shifts you will be fine…maybe!

We’ve all been there pal, as has been said to you already it is a steep learning curve and something that only comes with time and experience. The longer you’re at it the better you’ll get.

Don’t let anyone rush or push you… take it at your own pace and at a rate you’re comfortable with, that way you’re minimising accidents / incidents. If you aren’t comfortable with doing something, don’t do it, you’re asking for trouble if you do.

Don’t be afraid to ask the guys with experience for help as the real drivers will know how you’re feeling as they’ll remember having been in that place themselves. I’ll always help a newbie out if I see him / her struggling.

Good luck and bare with it pal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve held my class 2 for about 5 months and it really is a case of getting chucked in at the deep end…

…so learn to swim.

You very much learn from your mistakes in this industry so don’t let yourself get too flustered if something happens. Each event is a learning opportunity. I still pick up something new almost every shift whether it be loading techniques, tacho knowledge, reversing tips, how to find a destination etc etc.

Stick at it and enjoy the ride

Liam 84:
I look back at my training and its nothing compared to what we have to cope with on the road. I guess I feel at undertrained if you know what I mean?

Of course your massively undertrained - the test is bare minimum and I mean bare minimum.

Once you’ve been driving that’s when you really learn

You’ve not mentioned what type of incidents but you mentioned garage, so assume hit something !

If that’s the case then you need to slow down! New drivers tend to hit things by going too fast as they think they have to hit planners idiotic targets.

I don’t mean your speeding everywhere just that your going too fast in that you’ve not realised an incidents going to happen and can’t stop in time ?

It’ll click into place all of a sudden without you realising it. I’d look forward to the Edinburgh trip rather than stress. It’s a perfect set up to learn slowly how to manoeuvre!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C’mon Liam, don’t keep us all in suspenders, what happened?
I’m guessing your training kicked in and you took it nice and easy, weren’t afraid to stop, get out and check, and didn’t head down some stupidly narrow street just because your satnav said it was ok.
You finished the shift on time having done all your drops apart from old Mrs McDougals heart medicine because the lift was broke and you didn’t want to walk up all that flight of stair :slight_smile:

Being curious here but where in Edinburgh are you heading to?

Hi guys.
Thanks for all the encouragement. It’s been a real help.
I have been taking all the advice and I just slowed down and if in doubt I got out and looked and still in doubt don’t do it.

It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who has had the same difficulties.

A a new driver I could wax lyrical. But I won’t.
That’s it. Slow the ■■■■ down, and put your head on a stick. Never trust any drivers mate for guidance and ignore any other road users (I mean when they are parping and ■■■■■■ off). Just ignore them and make sure they aren’t pressuring you into a hasty move. If some ■■■■■■ up your arse and you need to reverse just sit there with your reversing horn blaring until they move. Even in London.