Drivers hours question ....

I have just passed class 2 and will be doing class 1 early next year in preperation for jumping out of the NHS and embarking on a new career (after cashing in my pension :slight_smile:) …

I understand the 90 hours over a fortnight etc BUT …

Can I legally do other work on my days off if its not driving?

Can you have a second job? i.e. Could I work a shift as an RMN?

Yes you can do other work but the total working hours for both jobs mustn’t be more than 60 hrs a week and an average of no more than 48 a week and you must comply with the weekly rest requirements too.

Obviously it’s your choice and I’m sure lots of people do 2 jobs and get away with it but if you’re ever involved in a serious rta then the powers to be will delve deep into your work habits.

bald bloke:
Yes you can do other work but the total working hours for both jobs mustn’t be more than 60 hrs a week and an average of no more than 48 a week and you must comply with the weekly rest requirements too.

Obviously it’s your choice and I’m sure lots of people do 2 jobs and get away with it but if you’re ever involved in a serious rta then the powers to be will delve deep into your work habits.

A second non EU regs job cannot count as rest for the EU regs

If the second job is not under EU regs then the WTD does not get added to the driving job WTD as they are separate forms of WTD of which the non driving one can be fully opted out of anyway

ROG:

bald bloke:

If the second job is not under EU regs then the WTD does not get added to the driving job WTD as they are separate forms of WTD of which the non driving one can be fully opted out of anyway

Ok cheers.

ROG:

bald bloke:

So is that a yes?

Post what hours you are intending to do and then we can help you

example
Driving job
mon 6am to 6pm
tue 7am to 7pm
wed 6am to 6pm
thu 7am to 7pm
fri 6am to 7pm

Non driving job
■■?

I would have thought you are half way there to being a lorry driver, your mental nursing skills will come in handy.

ROG:

example
Driving job
mon 6am to 6pm
tue 7am to 7pm
wed 6am to 6pm
thu 7am to 7pm
fri 6am to 7pm

Non driving job
■■?

The odd Saturday or Sunday. Maybe 2-4 shifts a month ish

Wheel Nut:
I would have thought you are half way there to being a lorry driver, your mental nursing skills will come in handy.

Ha! Indeed :slight_smile:

For most people with a “full time” weekday job, it will only be legally permissible to do a LGV driving job one day every other weekend due to the requirement to take an unbroken 45 hour Rest.

Roymondo:
For most people with a “full time” weekday job, it will only be legally permissible to do a LGV driving job one day every other weekend due to the requirement to take an unbroken 45 hour Rest.

No the other way round Roymondo, a full time driving job then working shifts on days off as other work, can it be done?

marsbars:

Roymondo:

No the other way round Roymondo, a full time driving job then working shifts on days off as other work, can it be done?

Yes - subject to the same requirement for an unbroken 45 hour Rest period every week (reduced to 24 hours every other week, which in essence permits working on one day every other weekend).

P.S. - Aplogies for not reading what you wrote…

Roymondo:

marsbars:

Roymondo:

Yes - subject to the same requirement for an unbroken 45 hour Rest period every week (reduced to 24 hours every other week, which in essence permits working on one day every other weekend).

P.S. - Aplogies for not reading what you wrote…

Brill, exactly what I was asking for, thanks fella :slight_smile:

marsbars:

ROG:

example
Driving job
mon 6am to 6pm
tue 7am to 7pm
wed 6am to 6pm
thu 7am to 7pm
fri 6am to 7pm

Non driving job
■■?

The odd Saturday or Sunday. Maybe 2-4 shifts a month ish

If doing roughly the above driving shifts then you can legally do one day every other weekend