15 hour maximum working day?

Could someone clear this up for me, as I’m struggling to find anything online.

On Friday, I started work on the isle of Wight at 7am. Worked for about 3 hours then had to wait for the ferry. Got back on the mainland at about 7pm, and drove home, arriving at 1.30am.

In total, 17.5 hours working, about 9 hours driving. I then had the weekend off.

I thought this was totally fine, as I was inside my driving hours, and would take the correct amount of rest in between shifts (an entire weekend, in this case).
But my boss just pulled me into his office and said I had gone over my working hours. He said that in a 24 hour window, you have to have 11 hours rest or 9 hours reduced, which essentially gives you a 15 hour maximum working day (or 13 hours with regular rest)

So, who is in the right here? Could anyone point me towards the actual legislation? He said he’s going to ask me to sign a form to say I won’t do it again, so I want to at least know whether or not I’m in the wrong.

Cheers guys

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

He is right and I’m sure ROG will provide the legislation.

I hope he is paying you for those extra hours worked. I’ve gone over 15 hours a few times. Fortunately, the invoice still gets paid. But I’d not do it and leave evidence on the card.

hazbazz:

On Friday, I started work on the isle of Wight at 7am. Worked for about 3 hours then had to wait for the ferry. Got back on the mainland at about 7pm, and drove home, arriving at 1.30am.

In total, 17.5 hours working, about 9 hours driving. I then had the weekend off.

I thought this was totally fine, as I was inside my driving hours, and would take the correct amount of rest in between shifts (an entire weekend, in this case).
But my boss just pulled me into his office and said I had gone over my working hours. He said that in a 24 hour window, you have to have 11 hours rest or 9 hours reduced, which essentially gives you a 15 hour maximum working day (or 13 hours with regular rest)

So, who is in the right here? Could anyone point me towards the actual legislation? He said he’s going to ask me to sign a form to say I won’t do it again, so I want to at least know whether or not I’m in the wrong.

Cheers guys

Hi Hazzer, sorry not answering your question but I’d also like to know what are the maximum hours, taking breaks, you can actually work in one day also.

Hazbazz your boss is correct, only in extreme circumstances can you go over 15 hrs and generally that’s when perhaps being held up in a traffic accident or road closures etc and then you should only go over to allow yourself enough time to find a safe/suitable place to park up which is an excuse you cannot make as you went over by such a large margin.

sammym:
He is right and I’m sure ROG will provide the legislation.

I hope he is paying you for those extra hours worked. I’ve gone over 15 hours a few times. Fortunately, the invoice still gets paid. But I’d not do it and leave evidence on the card.

Agree about the rest amount being within 24 hours from the start of the shift

If you had started a daily rest at 10am and finished it at 9pm+any ferry movement time added then you would have been legal

All daily rest must fit into that 24 hour period from start of shift - something to remember in the future

Stating that loads of rest was taken after 17+ hours is not allowed because if it was then you could do 20/30/40 hours and then take a load of rest :exclamation:

Woops! OK, thanks for the info guys, at least I know for future

hazbazz:

Your boss is right and you are wrong.

When on EU regulations you must complete a daily rest period within 24 hours from the start of the shift, even though you’re starting a weekly rest period this also applies to the last working day of your working week.

Click on 1.4. Daily rest periods

hazbazz:

You need to get your head around the hours.Because it will get expensive if your pulled by dvsa.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

hazbazz:

You need to get your head around the hours.Because it will get expensive if your pulled by dvsa.

Whats the fine like?

marsbars:

daftvader:

hazbazz:

Whats the fine like?

Anything up to £300 I believe