Reality Check Question 2

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for taking your time to answer my previous post. I’m very grateful for the helpful comments.

I have taken on board what you have all said; basically that the resticted hours are the main problem.

My wife works full time and historically has been the larger earner, hence why I have looked after the little fella.

However, we have a had a major discussion over the weekned on the back of all your answers and she is interested in swapping the workload…

So, what if my hours were still only daytime availability but, with no restictions like the 8 to 4 thing?
Main Question:
To recap, given the below list of known facts, would a newly qualified CE driver be able to find enough work to justify the training cost, and beyond that, make a reaonable wage?
I would be available days only
Work does not need to be full time or even regular
Part time, contract, agency, relief or fill in / sickness cover work is fine (probably best even)
If I removed the “daytime only” restriction and was available anytime, what would that do to the prospects of work?
Out of cusriosity, is it easier to find long distance inter-continental work? And what about long distance work within the UK?
Last one question (I hope), what is (a) generally considered to be the best type of HGV work and (b) which one is easiest to get? I hear people talking about long haul, short haul, multi-drop, tramping, single drop, continental, 4 on 4 off, ADR■■? It’s a right old mine field for the naive newcomer!!

Thanks again.

Paulo

Bit of a jump going from school hours only, to “inter continental” work.

There is plenty of work around, most of it not well paid and not glamorous.

You may struggle more if you do not have some commercial driving experience (vans, buses etc), both in passing your test first time, and in gaining work initially.

I see you removed the part about money not being an issue. Unless you are stinking rich, circa 3k to find out you are not cut out for a job is a big spend.

As said before, maybe best to get some commercial experience in a van or similar to give you a taste of life on the road, and quash the romantic image you seem to have.

This would also give you an insight into the different types of truck driving jobs available, as each can be a different career in itself. If you don’t know the difference between\meaning of the job types you list, it might not be for you to be honest.

There are plenty of guides on here with advice on the process of getting trained etc, good luck

I have replied to your pm.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Paulo33:
Hi All,

Thanks everyone for taking your time to answer my previous post. I’m very grateful for the helpful comments.

I have taken on board what you have all said; basically that the resticted hours are the main problem.

My wife works full time and historically has been the larger earner, hence why I have looked after the little fella.

However, we have a had a major discussion over the weekned on the back of all your answers and she is interested in swapping the workload…

So, what if my hours were still only daytime availability but, with no restictions like the 8 to 4 thing?
Well that opens up a lot more doors!
Main Question:
To recap, given the below list of known facts, would a newly qualified CE driver be able to find enough work to justify the training cost, and beyond that, make a reaonable wage?
I would be available days only
Work does not need to be full time or even regular
Part time, contract, agency, relief or fill in / sickness cover work is fine (probably best even)
If I removed the “daytime only” restriction and was available anytime, what would that do to the prospects of work?
Out of cusriosity, is it easier to find long distance inter-continental work? And what about long distance work within the UK?
Last one question (I hope), what is (a) generally considered to be the best type of HGV work and (b) which one is easiest to get? I hear people talking about long haul, short haul, multi-drop, tramping, single drop, continental, 4 on 4 off, ADR■■? It’s a right old mine field for the naive newcomer!!

Thanks again.

Paulo

Getting work abroad is probably the hardest for a newbie, though not impossible. I’d concentrate on getting on some agencies books, which depending on where you are, should be fairly easy and gives you some flexibility - though bear in mind, if you were to turn them down early on in your ‘relationship’ or do it too often, they will ring people that are more likely to say yes.

The best type of HGV work is work that suits you and your circumstances -everyone is different.

We do some short haul, some long haul, some foreign work, quite a bit of ADR, we multiman and just single driver, mostly one or two drops, so a bit of a mix.

In theory you should be able to make a decent wage after a few months of taking the pain that generally comes with new starts - it does depend on whre you are in the country, pay and conditions vary wildly.

Reef:

albion:
Duplicated post

You’re a Mod you wally, you can delete posts… :laughing: :laughing:

Oh yes, the power…

3…2…1…

I’m having a bad day, alright… :blush: