Failed test at first attempt

Pretty self explanatory really. I took my test Friday afternoon, as could probably tell from my posts i was not confident!! Bit of a summary really, it was expensive to find out but not sure driving is for me as in the skill required. I had a horrible week at the training place i used… had the same trainer first two days and then switched to somebody else for Weds/Thurs was told he would be taking me out on Fri before my test… had the original guy back who had no clue as to what to work on! The instructors seemed to just sit there not explain about how to take kerbs, corners and the gaps need to leave for other traffic, it was just a them sit there and then pick up on something when i went wrong. Come to my test was a bag of nerves and ended up doing my test at place where i had not even been. The motto i guess to save other people is make sure you do the assessment drive and see if it really is for you and how you get on straight away

You should be able to pass your test at any test centre - not just the one where you have become familiar with the road layouts. You really need to get yourself along to Peter Smythe of this parish and do the job properly.

Pretty self explanatory really. I took my test Friday afternoon, as could probably tell from my posts i was not confident!! Bit of a summary really, it was expensive to find out but not sure driving is for me as in the skill required. I had a horrible week at the training place i used… had the same trainer first two days and then switched to somebody else for Weds/Thurs was told he would be taking me out on Fri before my test… had the original guy back who had no clue as to what to work on! The instructors seemed to just sit there not explain about how to take kerbs, corners and the gaps need to leave for other traffic, it was just a them sit there and then pick up on something when i went wrong. Come to my test was a bag of nerves and ended up doing my test at place where i had not even been.

Yet another example of poor quality training. This was evident from the first post where there was no demonstration drive. This is one of the absolute basics. There is NO legal requirement for an “instructor” to be trained, qualified or registered. And for as long as this is the case, these issues will persist. One day, folks will sit up and take notice that not all training is the same.

You really need to get yourself along to Peter Smythe of this parish and do the job properly.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I went to My Smythe’s business for class 2 - and failed twice. Even though I had excellent training imo. First time I knocked the mirror whilst pulling in to stop. Next time I stopped at a green light. I was a total plonker. So you are doing better than me if you didn’t have good training and you didn’t sabotage your own tests with nerves.

I also recently failed a driving assessment for Tesco. Failed it on Tuesday morning. Rather than beat myself up about it I got another assessment booked in for another supermarket on Thursday. I took the advice and feedback on board and passed that no problem.

So my advice is to get back in as soon as possible and get it done. Driving is a job that slaps you in the face a fair amount. I had a bit of a surprise after passing the assessment turning up the next day and having to take out a rear steer urban trailer. It was interesting if nothing else… But it’s all good fun and you can’t give up or quit. Trust me - you will be fine, just don’t let it get you down!

Roymondo:
You should be able to pass your test at any test centre - not just the one where you have become familiar with the road layouts. You really need to get yourself along to Peter Smythe of this parish and do the job properly.

I agree with you to some point but then also you got to admit some test routes are harder… big city centre for instance. I did enquire about Peter’s place but being a single parent too 2 kids, 1 who is disabled and another who can need to go to hospital quickly it just isn’t possible to spend nights away training

sammym:
I went to My Smythe’s business for class 2 - and failed twice. Even though I had excellent training imo. First time I knocked the mirror whilst pulling in to stop. Next time I stopped at a green light. I was a total plonker.

Ahhhh FFS! Stop! You’re killing me :smiley:

There’s no doubt that not everyone has the skill set, co-ordination, and mind set, to be a HGV driver. But I don’t think you’ve had a chance to find out properly yet, with the shoddy instruction and all.
Don’t be disheartened, get back on the horse, find a GOOD trainer with checkable results and good, no…GREAT references from people who have used their services.
hint Don’t look too far from this forum.

Nothing comes cheap or free at this day n age, I took a loan from Halifax 2k and went to Peter Smyth solely on people’s recommendation,
I can put hands on my heart and say it out loud that Peter Smyth Training was the best, they teach you everything that you need to know but how you perform on test day is solely your responsibility,

I passed 3rd time I reckon and 1 test missed cause my car head gasket went on motorway M6 Jct 19. I failed 3 times and they were my own Faults, But I took pass protection and 1 free retest should I fail first time it was on offer at that time. And i spend 1600 pounds i reckon at that time.

All in all money well spent in my case. Julie in the office were just amazing. Hassle free no tention nothing to worry about. I am glad I went with Peter Smyth.

This is just my experience and i do believe I made the right choice. Do a weekend course where your only out for Saturday n Sunday and have a test on Monday morning
Goodluck x.