Scraped van which was illegally parked on corner

Just caught the corner of a van.

I was making a drop to a restaurant on corner of a pretty tight street. No chance of parking in next street as three heavy pallets of flooring to get off and was turning off a main street so couldn’t park before corner.

There was a van parked just around corner at mouth of junction on double yellow. Had already asked him to move and drove round the block (he said he would).

On my return van was still there so foolishly tried to squeeze past and just caught him with the tailswing.

Do have any recourse being that he was blocking access to the street and parked illegally? I know I shouldn’t have tried the manoeuvre but just wondering.

No. You hit a stationary vehicle and you are responsible. It doesn’t matter how he was parked.

As someone who has had more than my fair share of dings - I know it’s not nice. But learn from it and move on. These things happen and in a week or two you will have forgotten about it.

He was illegally parked thought ■■■■■■■ on he’s part

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Illegally parked makes no difference

The driver hit a stationary vehicle so that is 100% the moving vehicle driver fault

ROG:

The driver hit a stationary vehicle so that is 100% the moving vehicle driver fault

Sorry ROG ZB what’s right or wrong in this case !!!
The van was parked on the corner and what about a fire engine trying to get down that street , it couldn’t

Not got a leg to stand on unfortunately,hitting a stationary vehicle renders you 100% to blame…

Annoying as it is,my one and only accident in 14 years of driving was almost a carbon copy of yours but I scraped my trailer on a bollard trying to negotiate a class 2 jobber who had parked like a first class tool on a corner about a foot from the kerb and was no where to be seen!

Driver to blame, no excuses

blue estate:

ROG:

The van was parked on the corner and what about a fire engine trying to get down that street , it couldn’t

Emergency services have a reasonable exemption in regards to damage if another vehicle is causing an obstruction and in this case it seems that a fire truck could get through without an incident if I have read it correctly

ROG:

blue estate:

ROG:

Emergency services have a reasonable exemption in regards to damage if another vehicle is causing an obstruction and in this case it seems that a fire truck could get through without an incident if I have read it correctly

If a fire engine hits an illegally parked car it is still the fire engine driver’s responsibility. They do of course enjoy the luxury of several extra pairs of eyes which can be deployed to guide them safely through a tight gap (the owners of said eyes also have strong arms, which when used in unison can make light work of enlarging the gap…).

Having said that, the nature of their job means that their bosses will usually cut them a little slack if damage is caused.

There is a difference between being at fault and being sanctioned as a result…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately legally as mentioned the other driver can state “I was parked with handbrake on and engine off” even if they forget to add “I was also parked like a nob”.

When faced with situations like this, I either phone the office and tell them theres no way to get close to the delivery or attempt to drag them on a pallet truck.

Often amazing how the office phoning the customer can get things shifting including annoying vans when they find out they’ll get charged twice. Unfortunately doesnt always work with annoying car parking but then its not your problem.

Yeah, it was defo one of those moments when I would’ve benefitted from taking a step back.

I’d already squeezed past twice whilst looking for the drop, but on third occasion there were a couple of uber drivers parked opposite him making it more of a bottleneck. I wish I’d just sat and waited now but in city centre traffic it’s easy to let the pressure get to you - had a good few cars behind and was backing up the traffic flow.

On a separate note, I find it really hard to judge the tailswing on 26t vehicles when looking in the mirror - it can be two feet clear and look really close. I think an hour driving around a rec yard in an old wagon which I could bump would really help because if I knew exactly what “too close” looked like it’d be easier to judge from a point of reference.

Tailschwing:
On a separate note, I find it really hard to judge the tailswing on 26t vehicles when looking in the mirror - it can be two feet clear and look really close. I think an hour driving around a rec yard in an old wagon which I could bump would really help because if I knew exactly what “too close” looked like it’d be easier to judge from a point of reference.

If you drive a regular truck then is it possible to put a marker on it which, when looking through the mirror, shows you where the rear is on the ground :question:
This is often done on training vehicles

How do you mean, Rog?

I can see where the back end is, but it’s hard to gauge if it’s parallel with or clear of the parked cars.

Tailschwing:
How do you mean, Rog?

I can see where the back end is, but it’s hard to gauge if it’s parallel with or clear of the parked cars.

If you have say a white marker fixed to the side of the lorry - perhaps on a mudguard - which, when looking at it from the mirror, places where your rear end is on the ground then if that mark gets too close to something else then it is likely to hit it

Ah, I see. That’s a great idea. Thanks!