Three axle rigid - does dropping rear tyres help cornering?

In a pretty long 3 axle 26t today and driving around some pretty tight city streets. I’ve been told before that dropping the rear tyres will help the turning.

Is this the case? I’m guessing it maybe reduces the amount of tailswing but the bloke that told me this is a bit of a Bobby ■■■■■■■■■■■ so wanted to check.

No it will make it worst dropping the rear wheels if you don’t need to as you need to go a lot wider turning out of tight streets with the lift axle dropped when I used to drive 6 wheel ridged once I had the weight of the back axle always lifted the rear axle

If you find a point in the middle of the axles (on the ground) thats the pivot point so if theres 2 wheels down thats why it’ll move the turning circle backwards and make it wider.

It also makes it harder to turn as more rubber on the road equals more resistance. Unless its got rear wheel steering of course, then its a bit different.

I suppose if there was a wheel right at the back of the unit then that might help but never seen one of those except on an artic.

As for these 26T duo axles should not be used for towns as the overhang is stupid. Coop have a few and they are a nightmare.

Get a C+E licence as they dont have the overhang problem and usually dont get sent to houses. :slight_smile:

Does the rear axle happen to steer? That’s the only way it would make it easier for you.

The wagon we were in at the time the guy said that was a Daf Euro 6 with a droppable box I think - I do remember him saying it had rear steering. One I was in today was a Renault.

Yeah, it wasn’t fun driving it down sidestreets in the city centre having only driven one a few times - tight enough in an 18t!

Tailschwing:
The wagon we were in at the time the guy said that was a Daf Euro 6 with a droppable box I think - I do remember him saying it had rear steering. One I was in today was a Renault.

Yeah, it wasn’t fun driving it down sidestreets in the city centre having only driven one a few times - tight enough in an 18t!

Depends which city centre & which streets