What do I need to buy?

Hi all,

So today I got offered my first driving position!

Can anyone give me a list that I need to take out with me?

I’ve already got gloves, boots, hi viz, sat nav etc.

Just looking for what use take out in case I have missed anything that may be useful.

Louis

Tramping or day job?

If just for a day job, basic stuff off the top of my head would be a truck map book to go with your sat-nav (showing bridge heights and weights), baby wipes, note book and pen, mobile phone, rain jacket, the emergency £10 note in your wallet and hard hat but basic PPE should be supplied by your company.

LouisM:
Hi all,

Just looking for what use take out in case I have missed anything that may be useful.

Louis

As said.Bit more info needed.As in are you nighting out all week.Or the odd night.Day work?.Night work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Unless you are tramping then you have all you need.

Personally I like a kindle and a flask as well. But you don’t need them.

I have map books - and they never come with me when I’m working. The reality is satnav and a phone is all you need.

Being totally honest I also have a small down filled sleeping bag so I can get my head down when I’m waiting for hours like now. But that’s a nice to have rather than need to have.

There is a list somewhere that has been compiled but I can’t find it. Hopefully someone knows and can post the link

A sat nav or a phone with apps, a pen and some food or money for food.

You don’t need anything else unless your tramping.
That’s all I take + a charger and a holder and a ipod but I don’t need it.

I fit all my stuff into a small backpack. Yet I kid you not I see a driver doing the exact same job use a airplane trolley case, two backpacks and a bag for life. I have no idea why he needs so much.

FYI. I do travel stupidly light I because I have a motorcycle so limited space if I could add one thing it would be a waterproof jacket as unloading cages in the rain ■■■■■… But I just man up and get on with it :stuck_out_tongue:

WET WIPES
WET WIPES
WET WIPES
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

if you have a sleeper cab,have £30 in your back pocket,even on day work you can get stuck on a night out these days,with all the accidents & congestion :frowning: as several of our day drivers have found out.

daftvader:

LouisM:
Hi all,

Louis

As said.Bit more info needed.As in are you nighting out all week.Or the odd night.Day work?.Night work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sorry for the lack of info. I’m doing day work.

Still be prepared for nights out just in case of accidents or whatever
Flask
Torch
Towel
Wipes
Food
Spare pants & socks etc
Reading material or smart phone
Tooth brush etc
Plenty of spare charging cables as they are rubbish these days (Sat nav phone)
A truck map incase batteries fail .
Money

A simple Guide here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90870&p=1305146#p1305146

Beetlejuice:
Flask
Torch
Towel
Wipes
Food
Spare pants & socks etc
Tooth brush etc
Money

Wow.
Please don’t listen to this guy lol.

adam277:

Beetlejuice:
Flask
Torch
Towel
Wipes
Food
Spare pants & socks etc
Tooth brush etc
Money

Wow.

Why ?
If a “day job” is around local shops then the OP wont need much, but if the "day job" is up to 4hrs drive away then a night out is a possibility, and more kit is sensible. And you may be happy to work in wet clothes, I certainly aint ! :smiley:

adam277:
FYI. I do travel stupidly light I because I have a motorcycle so limited space if I could add one thing it would be a waterproof jacket as unloading cages in the rain ■■■■■… But I just man up and get on with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Pfft.

I’ve driven for about 3 years and never had to night out and I go over Dartford bridge most days. :laughing: :laughing:
Ye, im sure you could argue that a spare trousers may be worth while but to me they arent.

I may eat my words tomorrow but given the choice of carrying all that gear for that one day in 3 years in which I have to night out or just do a night out with none of that stuff I think I’d rather night out without it.
But that’s me. I get in my cab and I’m ready to go as soon as I’ve done my checks wheras other guys are still unpacking and positioning everything just right about 30-40mins later.
They seem to enjoy it but I would never do that.

adam277:
Pfft.

I’ve driven for about 3 years and never had to night out and I go over Dartford bridge most days. :laughing: :laughing:
Ye, im sure you could argue that a spare trousers may be worth while but to me they arent.

I may eat my words tomorrow but given the choice of carrying all that gear for that one day in 3 years in which I have to night out or just do a night out with none of that stuff I think I’d rather night out without it.
But that’s me. I get in my cab and I’m ready to go as soon as I’ve done my checks wheras other guys are still unpacking and positioning everything just right about 30-40mins later.

If it works for you, fine. Valid comments. But shouldn`t the OP read ALL points of view then make his/her own choice? :slight_smile:

My current job is multi drop, within about ten miles, probably about 40 pallets a day, 8-9 journeys, to different clients.
One of the most important things, I’ve found, is having a phone with all you can eat minutes and some data.
You won’t always get a truck phone, TM says “yeah, call us, we’ll call you back”. Still eats your credit away.
If your phone doesn’t have dual sim then just get another phone. I carry two atm.
Have a half decent camera on the phone, you may need it. I did, last week, had an “incident” with a tonne pallet of bricks an a tail lift :smiley:

Apart from that, a bit of cash, bottle of water and a couple of Snickers bars. Pens, notebook, headache pills, chewing gum, credit/debit card, book or newspaper,

steviespain:
My current job is multi drop, within about ten miles, probably about 40 pallets a day, 8-9 journeys, to different clients.
One of the most important things, I’ve found, is having a phone with all you can eat minutes and some data.
You won’t always get a truck phone, TM says “yeah, call us, we’ll call you back”. Still eats your credit away.
If your phone doesn’t have dual sim then just get another phone. I carry two atm.
Have a half decent camera on the phone, you may need it. I did, last week, had an “incident” with a tonne pallet of bricks an a tail lift :smiley:

Apart from that, a bit of cash, bottle of water and a couple of Snickers bars. Pens, notebook, headache pills, chewing gum, credit/debit card, book or newspaper,

Did the bricks take the “quick” route off the tail lift?

kcrussell25:

steviespain:

I must complain at the deliberate attempt to derail this thread. It must be allowed to run it’s course on the topic set by the OP.
yes
:smiley:

steviespain:

kcrussell25:

steviespain:

I must complain at the deliberate attempt to derail this thread. It must be allowed to run it’s course on the topic set by the OP.
yes
:smiley:

My apologies to the OP :smiley:

Oops!

adam277:

Beetlejuice:
Flask
Torch
Towel
Wipes
Food
Spare pants & socks etc
Tooth brush etc
Money

Wow.

adam277:
Pfft.

You sound like a bit of a know-all ,the OP should not listen to such ramblings .

Be prepared until you know the job .