Time for a Career Change - Birmingham Advice

Hello one and all,

Similar to a lot of other people in this forum I have decided I want to get my HGV license and start driving for a living. I am currently in a 4 on 4 off 12 hours a day manufacturing job and it’s seriously not for me and isn’t doing me any favours whatsoever in the mental department. It’s not really the hours that bother me, just the job itself.

Anyway, so I’ve spoke to my lovely wife and explained to her that I want to be a truck driver like my dad was. Unfortunately he doesn’t have many connections within the industry anymore so there’s only so much advise I can turn to him for, so therefore I thought I’d post a thread here. I’ve done plenty of research as to what modules I need to complete, have ordered all my forms and theory books, I just now need to decide where to have my medical done, and what truck school to go with.

Does anybody here have any recommendations within the Birmingham area for good truck schools? I have done a little bit of digging and noticed they all seem to offer “package” deals which include medicals and theories etc. However I’m hoping to have my medical and theory done before I approach a school, so I’m now a little concerned I won’t be able to get a “discount” for paying for a package deal (if that makes sense?). Would it be cheaper for me to just pay for the lesssons and tests, without the added extras? Also I can’t decide whether to just pass my Class 2 first, all do the whole shebang and get my Class 1 done immediately after… hmmm.

Also, regarding the medical, I have heard a lot of good things about Doctors on Wheels and more than likely will book my medical with them, but if anybody has any other suggestions then I would really appreciate hearing them.

Sorry if this has been asked multiple times already, which I’m sure it has - but I would really appreciate any feedback this community has to offer.

All the best,
Remi

Try top gear in Halesowen. They were bang on and will guide you with what you need etc. I went through them and booked everything from start to finish and I also know loads of other people who did the same and didn’t have a bad word to say. The reviews speak for themselves if you google them. The guy who I dealt with (Wayne), I heard sadly passed away recently but everyone else were also really polite. Good luck

Have you checked out the link in my signature below :question:

Not sure where in Birmingham your from, but if near the airport I would highly recommend Blue Triangle in Garrets Green.

We supply what is needed. So if someone comes to us and they’ve eg passed their theories, we’ll just supply the practical driving course and Mod 4. And we discount everything we do by 10% for Trucknet users.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheemap:
Try top gear in Halesowen. They were bang on and will guide you with what you need etc. I went through them and booked everything from start to finish and I also know loads of other people who did the same and didn’t have a bad word to say. The reviews speak for themselves if you google them. The guy who I dealt with (Wayne), I heard sadly passed away recently but everyone else were also really polite. Good luck

Is Wayne the bloke that seemed to be in charge/manager?

I also trained with them (C+CE) and they were really good. All auto fleet now too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I done my C with Tyne & Wear LGV they done everything even supplied the books & disc ( ok this was quite a number of years ago although couldn’t recommend them long story )

Went to Flair Training in Chelmsford for my C+E which I can recommend

Don’t think it much different in price if you go all inclusive or not but the training schools tend to block book your theory & HPT so can probably do same day similar time if you want if you book may not have as many options just my thoughts

I have heard good things about Peter Smyth mind even from other trainers

El Deano:

Cheemap:

Is Wayne the bloke that seemed to be in charge/manager?

I also trained with them (C+CE) and they were really good. All auto fleet now too.

Yeah that was him. Really cheerful and always polite.

Any idea what happened, he was a good chap and always had time for you. Wether it was just banter or answering any questions. PM if its better.