A Newbie Question for a Reality Check

Thansk everyone for taking your time to answer. Very helpful.

I have taken on board what you have all said; basically that the resticted hours are the main problem.

My wife works full time and historically has been the larger earner, hence why I have looked after the little fella.

However, we have a had a major discussion over the weekned on the back of all your answers and she is interested in swapping the workload…

So, what if my hours were still only daytime availability but, with no restictions like the 8 to 4 thing? To recap, given the following list of known facts, would a newly qualified CE driver be able to find enough work to justify the training cost, and beyond that, make a reaonable wage?

I do not need to be paid top dollar

I would be available days only

Work does not need to be full time or even regular

Part time, contract, agency, relief or fill in / sickness cover work is fine (probably best even)

If I removed the daytime only restriction, what would that do to the prospects of work?

Out of cusriosity, is it easier to find long distance inter-continental work? And what about long distance work within the UK?

Last one question (I hope), what is (a) generally considered to be the best type of HGV work and (b) which one is easiest to get? I hear people talking about long haul, short haul, multi-drop, tramping, single drop, continental, 4 on 4 off, ADR■■? It’s a right old mine field for the naive newcomer!!

Thanks again.

Paulo