I was about to sign up with this one agency, but

when I was nearly done with the application process (I was at step 65 from 66) I had to tick one more check-box titled “Transport Legal Declaration”. Having recently had a less than pleasant experience with another agency, I decided to download and read it and I stumbled upon the following:

I understand & agree that should I cause an accident due to my negligence, I will accept liability to all costs up to the value of £500.00 (per accident) to cover any insurance excess. I also understand that should I cause an accident due to my negligence I will have a ‘deduction of earnings’ issued & any monies owed maybe taken as a contribution to/or to pay in full the maximum amount of excess owed (as stated above). LTD company drivers accept liability for all damage costs under their own insurances unless agreed otherwise.

Now, I have no problem owning up to my mistakes but…If I do end up causing an accident one day, who gets to investigate/decide whether it was caused by my negligence? The agency? The client? The insurer? The police? The DVSA? The Court? Would any of the gov’t agencies want to get involved if the damage is too low (£100-£200)? I paused my application to come here and ask more seasoned drivers about their opinion/experience on this matter - is this normal practice for recruitment agencies?

A driver should not have to pay any part of an insurance claim, the only exception to this is if the driver is self employed and then it will depend on the contract between the driver and the company/agency.

Sent from my mobile.

Find another agency.

Even if you are the perfect driver and never have a crash/accident they can still screw you.
E.g. I regularly drive 10+ year old trucks with dozens of marks on the truck… It only takes one numpty in the office to accuse you of doing it for you to lose out on money.

Driver Hire by chance?

Find another agency or another office that is part of that same agency

adam277:
Find another agency.

Even if you are the perfect driver and never have a crash/accident they can still screw you.
E.g. I regularly drive 10+ year old trucks with dozens of marks on the truck… It only takes one numpty in the office to accuse you of doing it for you to lose out on money.

This all day long. Far too easy to be blamed for damage that was already there. Also as said who decides?

Plenty of others out there so move on somewhere else.

kcrussell25:

adam277:
Find another agency.

This all day long. Far too easy to be blamed for damage that was already there. Also as said who decides?

Plenty of others out there so move on somewhere else.

This too!! :smiley:

It gives open licence for ongoing deductions, so it’s a good spot on the OP’s part.