Unclaimed Test Pass

I am waiting for my license to come back from DVLA after passing test.

On the website my entitlement is shown as “unclaimed test pass” for cat C.

Am I allowed to drive cat C now, or do I have to wait until it shown as an entitlement, or even wait until license physically arrives?

I have work lined up and waiting and want to get started.

Thanks in advance…

Have you got a drivers card? I would crack on and argue later.

Yes have driver card.

Employer says he’s fine with it, but just wanted to be sure in case I get a pull

Cheers

You can drive as soon as you pass your test.

milesahead:

Only if you have your pass cert I believe

This is where it gets murky. If the examiner sends your licence away you’ve always got the pass certificate so all good if you get pulled just show them it.

If your sending away yourself then the pass certificate goes with licence. You then have nothing to show as neither DVLA will have a record as yet till they process your docs you sent in and neither will you have something to prove you’ve passed!

If you can wait I would so that there’s no doubt or comeback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:

milesahead:

This is where it gets murky. If the examiner sends your licence away you’ve always got the pass certificate so all good if you get pulled just show them it.

If your sending away yourself then the pass certificate goes with licence. You then have nothing to show as neither DVLA will have a record as yet till they process your docs you sent in and neither will you have something to prove you’ve passed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s why examiner advised me to make a copy of pass certificate, before I send it away. But you can drive before your licence arrives.

dcgpx:

milesahead:

Thanks for the info, I don’t have the certificate as I had to keep hold of my license as I had mod 4 CPC a few days after test. Sent certificate off after that.

I think if it came to it, the “unclaimed test pass” status online would be the same as having the certificate, but I will probably wait till it shows properly to be safe.

Cheers

milesahead:
That’s why examiner advised me to make a copy of pass certificate

I knew I’d forgotten something!

Searching for it, this seems to occur when DVLA are informed you passed so got the form from the examiner, but have not receieved the old licence yet (the pass cert runs for 2 years then expires).

In their eyes its not on your licence yet which is a bit odd. Might be worth calling them to be sure they got all your bits too - 0300 790 6801 - esp if you sent the licence off rather than via the examiner.

Personally I wouldn’t drive without it because you could get stuck somewhere if the police or VOSA decide its not valid. Truck gets stuck, you are in the middle of nowhere and would potentially have to explain it in court (even if you are in the right).

Thanks Trev.
I just called DVLA and I’m very surprised!
Firstly got through to a human within 60 seconds…
And she told me that my license is ready to go and is being posted out tomorrow. I only sent it in last Thursday. Quick turnaround
She also said that I was legal to drive as soon as passed test, still sounds like a grey area though as you say if you have to explain it at the roadside.
Moot point for me now though cheers