Day 1 of Cat C Training

A quick-ish!! Guide to my first day training. It was all a bit wham bam, no going out with trainer driving and then i take over. I went out straight away and did about 1h 45 mins before a tea break, i was gagging!! Then we practised the reverse exercise a couple of times with a few tips. Did not do too bad with it tbh. The problem i had and please please can somebody admit/confirm i aren’t the only one is junctions/kerbs?? It is getting used to length so has anybody got any serious tips for turning left and turning right? And any other tips will be much welcome too

It’s just practice mate, soon be judging the length\width better.
Make sure you get as much time on the road as possible, you are not paying them a small fortune to sit drinking brews.
As for turning, make sure you are reading the road well ahead, observing everything, and get into the correct road position for the manouvere. If you approach it out of position you are screwed from the start.
Just ask your instructor everything. Every little thing that you are not sure of, ask and then ask again.
It’s just practice and confidence, good luck

Here’s one that helped me a lot…
When you’re coming up to parked vehs and have to move out, especially at slow speeds in town etc, move out early, you don’t want to passing them at an angle, try and be parallel as you’re going past. And emphasise your head movement when using mirrors.

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile: i guess i am partly beating myself up and also confidence issue that i was not perfect the first day. I think next couple of days might be easier. Tbf i had one 10 min break for a cuppa and then went onto the reverse exercise. Will take all advice on board and it is very welcome

DAY 2

It seemed to go a lot better and even instructor said massive improvement. I feel am judging corners better, not clipping hardly any kerbs and judging roundabouts better. By tight corners we did a couple that were full lock left, quickly straighten, left turn, straighten and full left… phew seriously felt like i was never getting round!! I got work to do on my reverse i will admit, more the when to actually turn to get in bay. Any help or tips again guys would be great. I got new trainer today, tomorrow and practise run before my test so see how i get on. Biggest problem am facing is nerves and not getting much sleep at all. Will keep you informed though think very unlikely i will pass Friday

JASCAMBS:
I got new trainer today

Why :question:

steviespain:
When you’re coming up to parked vehs and have to move out, especially at slow speeds in town etc, move out early, you don’t want to passing them at an angle, try and be parallel as you’re going past.

I wish someone had told me this before my class 1 test…that’s a good one.

For turns, position yourself early and correctly - for example if you’re about to turn left from a 2 lane road through a roundabout, follow the middle lane with your right front wheel as close to the lane as possible as opposed to following/focusing on the curb on your left as you would with a car.

But you should ask your instructor since he’s the one qualified to teach/show you and he’s the one getting paid the $$$$ to do it :slight_smile:

ROG:

JASCAMBS:
I got new trainer today

Why :question:

The person who was training me, he has to go to another training centre and do some trailer tests and i think got some class 1 tests. He did say it was likely would have this other trainer rest of week and have met him. He is the boss of this centre and seems a more friendly guy

ETS:

steviespain:
When you’re coming up to parked vehs and have to move out, especially at slow speeds in town etc, move out early, you don’t want to passing them at an angle, try and be parallel as you’re going past.

I wish someone had told me this before my class 1 test…that’s a good one.

For turns, position yourself early and correctly - for example if you’re about to turn left from a 2 lane road through a roundabout, follow the middle lane with your right front wheel as close to the lane as possible as opposed to following/focusing on the curb on your left as you would with a car.

But you should ask your instructor since he’s the one qualified to teach/show you and he’s the one getting paid the $$$$ to do it :slight_smile:

I got my turns pretty much there tbh and clutch control and slowing down on approaches to roundabout. I am going to say want to do a lot of work on reverses today because it is my weakest part. Previous trainer seemed to want me to get it in bay dead centre

move out early, you don’t want to passing them at an angle, try and be parallel as you’re going past.

I would have thought this was basic, run of the mill stuff. But, for as long as folk are allowed to “teach” without any training, this is a prime example of what will happen.

There are reasons why some of us are trained, qualified and registered and the others simply hold a driving licence. Driving is one thing. Instructing - properly - is another. There are around 600 registered instructors in the UK; it shouldn’t be too hard to find one.

Note to all: PLEASE consider where you part with your hard earned!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

move out early, you don’t want to passing them at an angle, try and be parallel as you’re going past.

I would have thought this was basic, run of the mill stuff. But, for as long as folk are allowed to “teach” without any training, this is a prime example of what will happen.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Absolutely, Pete. Back to basics. It’s one of the very first things I was told. First day on HGV2 course. Never forgot it, and it works.