Newly passed class 1 jobs ( reverse help )

Okay so i have passed my c + e 6weeks ago, i have got my license back 2 weeks ago now im looking for a job…

I have applied for many jobs online and i have had assessments which both went the same way, uncoupling, coupling driving forward i have no problem but when it comes to reverse i struggle a lot with it which in turn they cant accept me.

money is not a issue for me yet, i need experience what are my option i need to learn, tacho, reversing, how to use curtains etc but the actual driving im good at i live birmingham.

so ideally i want to have a “buddy” driver with me for 1/2 week until im comfortable but everywere i applied for they do not do this

TruckDriverBen:
Okay so i have passed my c + e 6weeks ago, i have got my license back 2 weeks ago now im looking for a job…

I have applied for many jobs online and i have had assessments which both went the same way, uncoupling, coupling driving forward i have no problem but when it comes to reverse i struggle a lot with it which in turn they cant accept me.

money is not a issue for me yet, i need experience what are my option i need to learn, tacho, reversing, how to use curtains etc but the actual driving im good at i live birmingham.

so ideally i want to have a “buddy” driver with me for 1/2 week until im comfortable but everywere i applied for they do not do this

Any firm who gives a newb assessments can see they need a little help ,I would be glad to walk away from the kind who turn you down on a reverse issue, as they are not interested in helping you out … a pair of rubbish firms imo …
Apply to RGF logistics tell them you are new and need reversing help .
They are ok to start with 'Get it right then move on to a better firm ,They are always advertising .Garretts green area .
Good luck

TruckDriverBen:

Congratulations on passing! Did you have your test in Birmingham?

For reverse practice, like someone above said, a decent company (well, as long as their shunters aren’t complete dicks to you) would let you practice reversing in their yard in between shifts. Driver buddy, I think Stobbarts do that - they send someone out with you for several days (someone who works/has worked there pls confirm) but their nearest depot is in Rugby/Crick which is not very close to B’ham.

If you’ve never driven any truck commercially why not give Class 2 a try on agency in the meantime? Rigid curtainsiders are operated in the same way as curtain trailers (I believe?), you will get to drive a variety of vehicles (box, curtain, flatbed). There’s plenty of (admittedly, rather unattractive and underpaid) class 2 work in B’ham right now; you can use these jobs to get used to tacho, strapping/securing loads etc. Also, of all the jobs I’ve done in the last month (8 different companies), only 1 had me do an assessment drive - everywhere else they just couldn’t wait to see me out of the door after they handed me the keys and paperwork.

Finally, if “money is not an issue” you could book 2-4 hours of reverse practice with a driving school and save yourself some trouble along the way. I remember booking 2 hrs of reversing training before my 2nd attempt at C+E, they charged me 100 for 2 hours.

thank you for the replies guys, and no i passed my test in wolv’ not so far from birmingham i shall give the company a call tomorrow and discuss if they have anything for me and for rugby its a 35mile commute from me so i wont be travelling out that far.

Also i do not want to be doing any class 2 work, as i have been driving buses for years and want to be driving something bigger/better :sunglasses:

And the two company i applied for were farmoods and yodel but i dont blame them as they have tight spots to reverse in, farmoods recently scrapped the 2 years experience needed so new rec could apply

TruckDriverBen:
thank you for the replies guys, and no i passed my test in wolv’ not so far from birmingham i shall give the company a call tomorrow and discuss if they have anything for me and for rugby its a 35mile commute from me so i wont be travelling out that far.

Also i do not want to be doing any class 2 work, as i have been driving buses for years and want to be driving something bigger/better :sunglasses:

And the two company i applied for were farmoods and yodel but i dont blame them as they have tight spots to reverse in, farmoods recently scrapped the 2 years experience needed so new rec could apply

Hi Ben have you tried culina Stafford? I was in the same situation as you, they were the first company I applied to after passing my class 1… I started with them on the 23rd of August and I haven’t been on my own yet as they know the issues with new passes and the reverse, I’m getting much better now and it’s been a massive learning curve, but I can’t fault them one bit, they have been fantastic with me, I’m due an assessment on Wednesday and looking to be signed off to go alone Thursday, it’s a 40 mile round trip for me, but this was a no brainier for me as they were willing to put the effort in with me, they won’t send you out until they are confident in you, it’s worth traveling a bit further for a company that will help you, good luck

avfcnat82:

TruckDriverBen:

Hi Ben have you tried culina Stafford? I was in the same situation as you, they were the first company I applied to after passing my class 1… I started with them on the 23rd of August and I haven’t been on my own yet as they know the issues with new passes and the reverse, I’m getting much better now and it’s been a massive learning curve, but I can’t fault them one bit, they have been fantastic with me, I’m due an assessment on Wednesday and looking to be signed off to go alone Thursday, it’s a 40 mile round trip for me, but this was a no brainier for me as they were willing to put the effort in with me, they won’t send you out until they are confident in you, it’s worth traveling a bit further for a company that will help you, good luck

Ben if you can do the trip it’ll be worth it, Culina will put the time in helping you. Another place you could try is Great Bear 1/6, Spring Rd, Wolverhampton, WV4 6UD.just off the A4126 this is a part of the Culina Group working on the ambient side of the business, so you’ll be pulling curtains and securing loads by use of straps etc.
But if you want an easy life pop up to Stafford just off Jn 14.

Reversing is probably the biggest tripup you’ll find with a thing that bends, not helped by every trailer doing it slightly differently (esp little wheels vs large wheels).

Little and often is the best way to turn the wheel, and remember opposite lock is more powerful than normal reversing lock so use it with care.

Dont know if theres a coop depot around you but sometimes they’ll take on new drivers. If you can get into Culina or Great Bear stay, park yourself and don’t complain like an old timer as they are good companies! :slight_smile:

trevHCS:
Reversing is probably the biggest tripup you’ll find with a thing that bends

Once you’ve mastered reversing your headaches are by by no means over. As an artic driver …

1. you are the number one target for VOSA
  2. you are the number one target for illegal immigrants
  3. you are the number one target for thieves and hijackers
  4. everyone gets in your way - even rigid drivers most of whom ought to know better
  5. too many places are “tight” - even newly built lorry parks. you may have been advised to avoid blind side reserving wherever possible. The thing is, out Polish and Romanian friends have been taught the same and you will often find that a LHD vehicle (and also many RHD ones) will be parked in your maneuvering space. You’ll then end up taking your statutory breaks in some unsatisfactory places like the motorway entry slip road
  6. your vehicle breaks down more often - more tyres to blow, more air and electrical lines to fail
  7. you are (mostly) expected to night out on a regular basis if not most nights of the week. Even the most primitive laybys (no barrier between the lay by and th road - you feel every passing vehicle jolt the cab) are full leaving to ever more desperate measure to find a place to stop.

All this for mostly not much more hourly rate than rigid.

I say this with regret as a class 1 licence holder for 30 years, but I’m still on rigid. All those years ago, I would have jumped at any chance to use my licence to the full, but now, there are too many causes of stress. It’s dog eat dog out there.

tgf1961:

trevHCS:
Reversing is probably the biggest tripup you’ll find with a thing that bends

Once you’ve mastered reversing your headaches are by by no means over. As an artic driver …

1. you are the number one target for VOSA
  2. you are the number one target for illegal immigrants
  3. you are the number one target for thieves and hijackers
  4. everyone gets in your way - even rigid drivers most of whom ought to know better
  5. too many places are “tight” - even newly built lorry parks. you may have been advised to avoid blind side reserving wherever possible. The thing is, out Polish and Romanian friends have been taught the same and you will often find that a LHD vehicle (and also many RHD ones) will be parked in your maneuvering space. You’ll then end up taking your statutory breaks in some unsatisfactory places like the motorway entry slip road
  6. your vehicle breaks down more often - more tyres to blow, more air and electrical lines to fail
  7. you are (mostly) expected to night out on a regular basis if not most nights of the week. Even the most primitive laybys (no barrier between the lay by and th road - you feel every passing vehicle jolt the cab) are full leaving to ever more desperate measure to find a place to stop.

All this for mostly not much more hourly rate than rigid.

I say this with regret as a class 1 licence holder for 30 years, but I’m still on rigid. All those years ago, I would have jumped at any chance to use my licence to the full, but now, there are too many causes of stress. It’s dog eat dog out there.

See the only 2 on here that have any cause for concern is 3 and 4 and actually number 3 don’t really come into it as for tyres the main problem is drivers not checking them regularly and failing to check correct pressures.
Admittedly I’ve had 2 go in th3 last 2 years almost a month apart.
1 was due to picking up a bolt on the front nearside unit
The other was a tyre fault a total delamination of the front nearside on the trailer. None were down to poor maintenance or checks