Getting Work / Best Gloves And Boots

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience to other new drivers and wannabe drivers who are worried about getting work once they’ve passed.

I only received my taco card last Saturday, and started applying for jobs that night.

So far this week, I have heard back from five different companies asking me to go for an assessment drive and interview.

I understand this may be dependent on location, I’m based in Liverpool, but I do believe if you go around going round knocking on doors it does get you places. If you just go on indeed you will come across a lot of agencies.

Also, could anyone recommend the best boots/gloves to buy for the job that will last?

Sorry for the long thread but wanted to share my experience so far.

Gloves viewtopic.php?f=5&t=156724

Boots depends what size you are & what is the best fit also most comfortable for you go try a few on but remember you could be wearing most of the day think how you would normally buy shoes / boots

If buying your own gloves. Buy plenty 10,20 at a time. Even the best of gloves don’t seem to last that long. Constant wear from strapping up An so on.

Second what was said about boots. Buy something that’s comfy to drive in as Well as work in. Trainer style safety boots being better ankle style boot.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jmarks1227:
If buying your own gloves. Buy plenty 10,20 at a time. Even the best of gloves don’t seem to last that long. Constant wear from strapping up An so on.

Second what was said about boots. Buy something that’s comfy to drive in as Well as work in. Trainer style safety boots being better ankle style boot.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I tend to buy boots as they give me a bit more support ( weak ankle )

Gloves I tend to buy a 2-3 at a time just in case so always have a spare pair

Get some comfortable boots then change the insoles for gell type.
Glove I buy the more expensive ones about £6 and pick up 2 pairs at a time.
I always use Arco and when they have a sale on I’m in looking for me identical boots/shoes always buying the same as they tend to be comfortable and in the sale I’m getting 2 for the price of 1

For boots you might be best off trying them on - machine mart is handy if a tadf more expensive, but they usually have a range and you can buy them online next time once you find ones that work. Personally I’d always wear ones with full ankle support as it’s saved mine a few times, especially with the potholes you often find in yards. Wouldn’t bother with anything less than £50 as they won’t last.

Gloves, if you can find the right size those ones linked to are likely very good or if you could just cheaper ones in multipacks and keep changing. I’ve just bought another box of 12 Portwest ones from Amazon which last me about 2 months of strapping and trailer leg winding. £10 for 12 pairs and I just keep them in the car. OK, they aren’t 100% waterproof but keep the muck off. Alright, not very environmentally friendly I know. :slight_smile:

smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B … UTF8&psc=1

screwfix.com/p/timberland-p … ze-9/7200c

A bit expensive but well comfortable and last a good while

Tommy7437:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/timberland-pro-pro-eagle-safety-boots-camel-size-9/7200c

Fine if you csn get to fit but they far to big for me

animal:

Tommy7437:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/timberland-pro-pro-eagle-safety-boots-camel-size-9/7200c

Fine if you csn get to fit but they far to big for me

Heard a rumour they come in different sizes :wink: