Frustrated Finding A Job

I am sick to the back teeth of Agencies!

I am sure everyone has felt this way one time or another

I recently passed my Class 1 and have been using agencies for Class 2 to provide an income until I had done my C+E which I now have.

So I am looking for Artic work on a permanent employed basis but can I has hell find anything direct from companies…it’s all Agencies

When I do find a vacancy there web site directs me to a bloody agency, if i call the company direct they direct me to an agency!!! :angry:

While I am looking I am trying also to pick Class 2 work up if it arises but when it does I can not get it as my licence has been sent off for amendments and no one seems to be able to take the DVLA online check anymore!

The agency I am registered with are inundated all of a sudden with f*****g drivers and don’t have the work to go around.

But why is this industry all agencies!!! It’s doing my head in :angry:

I need Class 1 work quick, bills to pay and Santa is doing his pre-checks :laughing:

I am based near Chesterfield if anyone hears anything please

What you are experiencing proves there is not a driver shortage as a few well know organisations are saying :exclamation:

Have you loaded your car boot with work kit and gone directly to the companies with CV in hand then handed it to the TM especially early on a Monday morning :question:

ROG:
What you are experiencing proves there is not a driver shortage as a few well know organisations are saying :exclamation:

One does not need to personally experience the trying to get work in the HGV driving industry to realize there most likely isn’t a driver shortage - quite the opposite. All HGV training companies are booked out for months (sometimes 3-4 months) ahead, their fees are high and rising which speaks for high demand for HGV training services; yet job adverts offer pay rates of about a pound, pound and half-two at most above the min. wage - evidence for high enough supply of already existing (qualified) drivers so companies can attract them for 10-11 p.h. that is CLass 2.

For Class 1 the ads I’ve come across offer about 12-14 p.h. but the cost of going from cat. B to C+E is not affordable for most people looking to get into driving, so when they manage to get enough money to pay for at least their C license they then get stuck in an 8-10p.h. job unable to save up for the coveted C+E license to print money- or so we’re told by driving schools representatives all over the internet; which keeps Class 2 wages low with more and more people coming out with fresh licenses willing (in some cases- desperate) to take any driving job for any pay so they can repay the oh-so-generously provided funding for their training by some driving schools or their credit card debt accumulated while paying for CPC, Class 2, Digi card, license, medical, PPE, satnav…

My theory, anyway. Based on observations, anecdotal evidence, speaking to other trainees and reading adverts with a questionable amount of truth in them.

Agencies are scum, I agree, but if companies wouldn’t use them, they wouldn’t exist so their existence is again the result of transportation companies looking for ways around hiring people - they’re looking to rent instead. I blame the economy, globalization, (largely) unregulated competition, over-regulated employment T&Cs causing companies to be reluctant to hire long-term etc. In short, they’re here to stay and not just in the transport sector.

Hang in there, OP- it will come. In a month or six but you’ll get there.

ROG:

Have you loaded your car boot with work kit and gone directly to the companies with CV in hand then handed it to the TM especially early on a Monday morning :question:

No I have not tried this but mainly all the companies around me Great Bear, Gist, Coop etc have secure sites and the Security Guard / Intercom / Barrier would tell me p off.

This is why I don’t mind calling them direct rather than just email CV’s all the time

Kynszon:

ROG:

No I have not tried this but mainly all the companies around me Great Bear, Gist, Coop etc have secure sites and the Security Guard / Intercom / Barrier would tell me p off.

This is why I don’t mind calling them direct rather than just email CV’s all the time

You should try Great Bear/Culina as they’re pretty good at taking on newbies .

bald bloke:

Kynszon:

ROG:

Great Bear I have tried via agencies and direct and the old chestnut of “experience for 2 years” rears is ugly head again.

Which I was surprised about as surly they do not have any insurance premium issues

How can you gain experience if no one is willing to give you the chance.

I have driven around all the industrial estate near me and noted their names down and have either contacted them direct, through email or agencies…I have even resorted to applying for a newbie job with Eddie Stobart…god knows the location but i’ve applied

As a newly passed C+E driver myself I can relate to your frustration. Luckily im in employment driving Cat C where I’ve been for years so I am not desperate to find artic work. I have been looking at jobs though and the ‘minimum X years experience’ keeps rearing it ugly head. Im resigned to the fact i am most likely going to be doing the [zb]y jobs till i get that minimum experience i need. Good luck in finding something, hope you can post good news soon!

All HGV training companies are booked out for months (sometimes 3-4 months) ahead, their fees are high and rising which speaks for high demand for HGV training services;

Not quite “all”. Only speaking for us, but we control our lead time to ensure we provide good customer service. So we are generally booked 3 - 4 weeks ahead. Not months. And as for fees rising, we haven’t revised our rates for nearly 3 years. Remind me what’s happened to diesel prices in 3 years? Staff costs, utility bills have increased(don’t get me started on business rates!) But, contrary to what some would have you believe, we’re not all out there to screw the last pound out of the gullible public.

For us, we provide a top service at a fair price. And I have never quoted the “driver shortage” or promised anyone they’ll find work. To do so would be a folly IMO.

It’s simple. Buyer beware.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Warning - lots of mention of agencies below. :slight_smile:

You might be lucky, but the most likely ways are switching from a fulltime class 2 job within the same company, or the dreaded agency to get the 6 months.

I went about a year on agency class 1 until someone took me on fulltime, but I have heard Great Bear at J29a are supposed to be taking on with 6 months experience. Some depots are 2 years although when i was on agency they took me even at Kegworth with a couple of months but that was mostly nights (they get desperate).

Coop at Alfreton might take on new drivers but they seem to take people more from the warehouse or ADR agency. They are constantly short of class 1 drivers from the agencies so you never know. Would need to call as you cant get in half the time even when working there (buzzer is crap).

It is a slight chance that CS2 at J29 (Park Road) might take on people. I know they were looking and took me with 4 weeks experience on agency, but they do take people direct too. Not the best pay rate, but fairly easy work.

Gist - no chance unfortunately, 2 years absolute min. Doubt I’d get in there to be honest.

Greencore use a lot of agencies at Worksop, but think they’ll take on with 6 months these days. If you can impress with agency they might take you on direct.

As for why agencies, its mostly because they don’t have the hassle of tax, holidays, having to worry about lack of work etc. Also many will take you on fulltime after a period of time but this is an easy way to test you out.

One other option would be getting ADR card which can also get CPC credits at some providers. There is a serious lack of ADR drivers on pallet work and many will take you on with no experience. Our lot did last year.

Been there, suffered from it but eventually got there. It just takes a while, then you wonder why you’re doing it. :slight_smile:

Peter Smythe:

All HGV training companies are booked out for months (sometimes 3-4 months) ahead, their fees are high and rising which speaks for high demand for HGV training services;

Not quite “all”. Only speaking for us, but we control our lead time to ensure we provide good customer service. So we are generally booked 3 - 4 weeks ahead. Not months. And as for fees rising, we haven’t revised our rates for nearly 3 years. Remind me what’s happened to diesel prices in 3 years? Staff costs, utility bills have increased(don’t get me started on business rates!) But, contrary to what some would have you believe, we’re not all out there to screw the last pound out of the gullible public.

For us, we provide a top service at a fair price. And I have never quoted the “driver shortage” or promised anyone they’ll find work. To do so would be a folly IMO.

It’s simple. Buyer beware.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You could very easily get the business rates down to zero ,Section the yard up to each area being less than 1000 square feet ,Section the site up start up four other businesses .One the office peter smyth consulting 2.The garage peter smythe garages .3 peter smythes training facility .4 peter smythe storage yard .Then charge yourself to rent each and every one off yourself .You pay no business rates on partitioned businesses on the same plot of land .I thought you may have had that sewn up Pete.

Kynszon:

bald bloke:

Kynszon:

ROG:

Great Bear I have tried via agencies and direct and the old chestnut of “experience for 2 years” rears is ugly head again.

Which I was surprised about as surly they do not have any insurance premium issues

How can you gain experience if no one is willing to give you the chance.

I have driven around all the industrial estate near me and noted their names down and have either contacted them direct, through email or agencies…I have even resorted to applying for a newbie job with Eddie Stobart…god knows the location but i’ve applied

Stobarts will take you.

Turners or Downton also if you have one in your area.

Just get a start. Once you have some experience doors start opening

As said above, go direct to companies and speak to the TM. I did my class 2 and 1 back to back. After passing class 2 I went to a local company and spoke to the owner and one of the driver trainers and explained I had my class 2 and was doing class 1 in a couple of weeks. They told me they had no class 2 jobs currently but come back when I pass class 1 and they would give me an assessment and sure enough they did and I got the job immediately. A mate of mine has just done something similar. He’s been on class 2 for 2yrs and has recently passed his class 1 and already has a job by going direct to a local company so it is possible but go direct to the company and speak to them. Emails and phone calls don’t always work and seem to be ignored a lot. Good luck

I have just had some positive news, Stobarts have called me and asked me in for an interview and drive assessment on Friday at Doncaster.

They are not bothered about DVLA online check or my licence as long as I can produce my Pass Certificate.

I understand that I have a face to face interview, a scenario answer and question test and the driving test which includes reversing onto a bay! (oh ■■■■ hahaha…that will be fun as reversing was my weakest part of my test)

Reversing an artic is most new drivers biggest problem.Be honest tell them at interview and when you meet the assessor ,you are new and need help -Practice reversing .

Beetlejuice:
Reversing an artic is most new drivers biggest problem.Be honest tell them at interview and when you meet the assessor ,you are new and need help -Practice reversing .

I would love to practice reversing but how?

I haven’t even got a job yet?

Kynszon:

Beetlejuice:

I would love to practice reversing but how?

I haven’t even got a job yet?

At the assessment lol

Kynszon:
I have just had some positive news, Stobarts have called me and asked me in for an interview and drive assessment on Friday at Doncaster.

They are not bothered about DVLA online check or my licence as long as I can produce my Pass Certificate.

I understand that I have a face to face interview, a scenario answer and question test and the driving test which includes reversing onto a bay! (oh [zb] hahaha…that will be fun as reversing was my weakest part of my test)

Good luck with it and just try and be calm and take it slow, tell them it’s the 1st time you have reversed since your test. I don’t think they are going to ask you to blindside it in between two parked trailers at the assessment. I’ve got all this to come myself soon so I hope all goes well for you.

Reversing an artic or a W&D uses the same principals as reversing a car and caravan for example so if you can find someone to let you use that type of set up it will deffo help :bulb:

Ive done it myself went 4 years after passing my class 2 before i found work so i know your frustration i got a job driving vans first before they moved me on hgv. It was depressing for me and even gave up on the driving career for a while and worked in a different career but id imagine the whole monday morning show ya face thing works. I go in at work and my TM is always pulling his hair out saying someone has rang in sick and agencies cant cover the day as their drivers are elsewhere. So show your face early doors and tell them your looking for work with some luck they will be that desperate they will have you working the day.

Good luck and dont give up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Had my CPC training the other day and instructor was convinced there was a driver shortage…

He also spent the best part of 8 hours explaining all the ways we would get fined/sent to prision if we done this wrong or done that wrong. If you load is not secure you go to prision if you mess up your tachograph you go to prision if you go over the speed limit and have an accident go to prision OR lose your job and be fined massively.
He then honestly said ‘I can’t understand why people don’t want to join the industry’. :laughing: :laughing:

There is no driver shortage at best there is a lack of surplus drivers for Xmas but tbh I doubt that as well.