Hello one and All

Hello one and all…

My name is Mark and I’m hoping to join all you guys and gals out on the road. Just wanted to introduce myself ahead of what probably will be many future questions.

I have just received my Theory Test handbook…so lots of swotting needed…and waiting for the D2 & D4 forms to drop through the letter box in order to apply for my provisional.

Looking at training options, two providers stand out but for different reasons.

Firstly Eddie Stobarts…purely because of the possibility of employment post training. Been looking online at job offers and it seems many employers are asking for experience (anything from 6 months to 2 years). So this option is a possible way round that.

Secondly Peter Smythe…about whom I cannot find a single bad review. Obviously a quality service, but will I struggle to find employment as a newly qualified driver?

Best regards
Mark.

Hi mate,

I would try to get the license yourself if possible, I used to drive buses and I let the company I was with pay for my training… This resulted in having a lower wage for 2 years to pay them back essentially and it sucked! Plus you’re tied to them unless you want to pay the costs back which I doubt they’re going to make that cheap…

So long as you have something about you and just give off a good impression, you’ll find work. So far I’ve found that businesses largely look to hire based on you rather than your CV, this is face to face mind you. Also agencies will sort you out if you need to, I sometimes do weekend work and that was starting out with nothing I was just honest and said I was after experience!

Best of luck to you, I trained with Peter Smythe - Great bunch! It was just a killer that I felt a few miles short of the hotel deal as that travelling killed me towards the end. It’s what would hold me back on doing my C+E with them to be honest. Good clean vehicles and decent training though so it’s entirely up to you.

I agree with Mark.

Yes, it is hard work getting a decent job to start with, but it’s not impossible. CVs don’t tell you a lot IMO (I’m an employer) because a bit like a website, they tell you what the maker wants you to know. I’d rather see someone face to face. All my lads and lass have come through recommendation from current drivers, so that’s one route if you know anyone already employed in haulage. Nothing wrong with knocking on a few doors early on the off chance that someone hasn’t come in and they are desperate, later in the day you may get lucky and they are thinking of having to put an ad on Indeed and dreading trawling through the 80% of people that didn’t read the ad properly and are applying because the job centre told them to. You walk by, look smart and switched on and you have just saved someone a load of hassle. :wink:

Good luck!

Many thanks for the replies and advice. Greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of sorting my own medical any applying for my provisional and then organising my theory tests in my local area, Preston. Then will look around for the best value/reputation of trainers.

My background is Aviation Avionics on military aircraft, mainly helicopters. Service in Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm then as a civilian working for the RAF at various locations here in the UK and for the British Army in Germany. My last position, from which I have just resigned, was as an engineering adviser and QA Auditor to the RAF of Oman in the middle east.

So obviously this is just a bit of a career change :smiley:

Fortunately I have the funds to pay for my own training which gives the freedom to choose the who and where.

I suppose the thing I fear the most is that at 54 years of age and with no background of professional driving and few transferable skills that my CV is going to be a bit on the light side to say the least. Hence the leaning towards a trainer that may offer a route into the job. Although that said, Stobarts do advertise for newly qualified drivers, but I would suspect that they would give preference to candidates that they themselves have trained.

Any other thoughts and advice would be most welcome.
Best regards,
Mark.

Hi Mark
My experience of getting into the job market, age 61, is that if you are a warm, live, body, with a licence, CPC , and tacho, you can find work. And the “warm, live” bit is negotiable :smiley:

I had NO, and I mean ZERO, checkable work history for the past 40 years.
And now I’m working, for agencies, no problem.
CV is starting to build up a little.

They’ll check your docs, then phone you and tell you to be somewhere at 06:00 Monday.

Evening Mark
As for experience where in the country are you going to base yourself plays a big part in who will employ you.
So that said what’s your area?

Nick, I will be based around Preston, Lancashire. Happy to commute a reasonable distance or for the right permanent job to relocate.

Stevie, nice to know there’s hope for we more mature specimens :sunglasses:

Best regards,
Mark.

AbuZachary:
Nick, I will be based around Preston, Lancashire. Happy to commute a reasonable distance or for the right permanent job to relocate.

Stevie, nice to know there’s hope for we more mature specimens :sunglasses:

Best regards,
Mark.

There’s a few round that way that might take you .
James Hall they do the Spar contract then you have Waitrose all local Waitrose do a lot of night trunking so that coul£ be an option to get on something to start with.
I’m not in there any more but I’m sure someone will know if and what agency they use.
I’ll ask one of our other depot drivers an£ let you know.

I’ve sent you a PM Mark, I am in exactly the same position as you.

nick2008:
There’s a few round that way that might take you .
James Hall they do the Spar contract then you have Waitrose all local Waitrose do a lot of night trunking so that coul£ be an option to get on something to start with.
I’m not in there any more but I’m sure someone will know if and what agency they use.
I’ll ask one of our other depot drivers an£ let you know.

Thanks Nick. Will certainly look at Spar and Waitrose. Any other help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Mark.

AbuZachary:
will I struggle to find employment as a newly qualified driver?

Yeah, if you mean 5 days a week employment. You will almost certainly get agency work but this could be 1-3 days a week, 4 if you’re lucky. Still might be enough to pay the bills but I would prepare for a few months of low income if I were you.

Firstly Eddie Stobarts…purely because of the possibility of employment post training. Been looking online at job offers and it seems many employers are asking for experience (anything from 6 months to 2 years). So this option is a possible way round that.

Secondly Peter Smythe…about whom I cannot find a single bad review. Obviously a quality service, but will I struggle to find employment as a newly qualified driver?

The guy who runs the training at ES is very familiar with our set up. It wont go against you that you trained with us if you choose to work for them.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

The guy who runs the training at ES is very familiar with our set up. It wont go against you that you trained with us if you choose to work for them.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Many thanks for the heads-up on that Peter. Once I get my provisional sorted I will get in touch.

Best regards,
Mark.

Abuzachary I went with Peter Smyth myself, I can’t fault their service absolutely spot on.
I work for stobarts at Appleton myself, Let me know once you got your class 1 I will go speak to them directly in ops office. Goodluck

crazyplay:
Abuzachary I went with Peter Smyth myself, I can’t fault their service absolutely spot on.
I work for stobarts at Appleton myself, Let me know once you got your class 1 I will go speak to them directly in ops office. Goodluck

Many thanks for that, will PM you when I’m fully sorted. Any help to get my foot in the door would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Mark.

AbuZachary:

crazyplay:

Many thanks for that, will PM you when I’m fully sorted. Any help to get my foot in the door would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Mark.

Let me know how you get on in Preston Abu, I’m heading back there soon (hometown) from Newcastle, once I pass class 1 next year :slight_smile:

Hi All!!

My name is Liam. and a class c/2 driver.
I have been at it for a couple of weeks now, which is great and loving being on the road. I qualified in August and got a job at the beginning of this month.
I have a few incidents already and had the truck in the garage 3 times, I’m just feeling a little concerned about my driving, does anyone else feel the same?
I look back at my training and its nothing compared to what we have to cope with on the road. I guess I feel at undertrained if you know what I mean?

with the incidents that I have had already, I do worry about my routes, for example, the one I have tomorrow which is in the center of Edinburgh with the tight turns and slim streets, its just concerning.
Has anyone had any of the same feelings and worries, just would like to know so i know that I’m not the only one lol

Thanks

Liam 84:
Hi All!!

I have been at it for a couple of weeks now, which is great and loving being on the road. I qualified in August and got a job at the beginning of this month.
I have a few incidents already and had the truck in the garage 3 times, I’m just feeling a little concerned about my driving, does anyone else feel the same?
I look back at my training and its nothing compared to what we have to cope with on the road. I guess I feel at undertrained if you know what I mean?

with the incidents that I have had already, I do worry about my routes, for example, the one I have tomorrow which is in the center of Edinburgh with the tight turns and slim streets, its just concerning.
Has anyone had any of the same feelings and worries, just would like to know so i know that I’m not the only one lol

Thanks

You learn to drive to pass then you learn to drive weather it a car bus lorry don’t matter & been used for at least 40 years that I know of so not new training always been the same

But would you pay a lot more to “drive in the real world”

Sorry to hear about your incidents but unfortunately these things happen

Liam 84:
Hi All!!

I have a few incidents already…

Looks like you’ve had another incident mate…you’ve crashed into my thread :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: