Changing career

Hi all I’m new on here. Retired from the classroom - end of August aged 60 I decided to take up driving for a change in career. I Just passed the LGV Cat C Theory :smiley: and booked in for road training (Holywell) and test (Wrexham) early Oct :slight_smile: and 35 hrs classrom based CPC in early Dec :slight_smile: - should be qualified for the start of next year :smiley: . Is there any thing I can do in between these gaps to get some more /valauable experince apart from watching Youtube videos or reading books?

Does your training provider have their C course driver CPC approved :question:

If yes then you can use that to gain some of the 35 hours needed for a little extra cost

Can anyone just clarify this again…

A newly qualified driver only needs to take the 2 test based modules of CPC, theory and walk around, to be able to work. No classroom or hours based training is required.

The 35 hours must it be done at some point in the next 5 years, but would only be an issue if not completed within those 5 years.

Don’t understand why there are new drivers on here talking about doing 35 hours before they are qualified.

Is this just training providers selling unnecessary packages that are not needed at the time?

Surely it’s simpler, easier and cheaper to put off that training until required, several years down the line…?

you dont need to do any classroom training. The cpc is included most of the time in your class 2 training and that covers you for the first 5 years, but you have to do 35hrs within those 5 years to keep the cpc card, so if he is doing 35 hrs after he passes he might have the extension to that… but the classroom training is only valid for 5 years as far as i know

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Passing mods 2 + 4 gives a DQC for the first 5 years

Completing the 35 hours AT ANY TIME during those first 5 years gives another 5 years from the end of the first 5 years but that DQC will not be issued until near the end of the first 5 years

Ok, that’s what I thought.

Just have noticed a few people doing training that seem to think they will not be allowed to drive until they have done 35 hours but this is not the case

Re the original question - I’ve not found too many books or useful videos for driving as you basically learn (rapidly) as you go.

There are so many parts to this job that you can only really learn by doing, eg: strapping pallets, chaining steel, fridges, curtains etc.

If you go on agency you’ll learn even quicker, as in crash course at 5am in the dark when its raining! :slight_smile:

idrive:
A newly qualified driver only needs to take the 2 test based modules of CPC, theory and walk around, to be able to work.

If you pass your car test before Jan 1997 then you can get CPC three ways.

1. The second theory and mod 4 tests.
  2. 35 hours in classroom.
  3. If training inc CPC credits then they count.

However if you pass post 1997 then you have to do the mod 2 and mod 4 as mentioned (option 1).

As a sidenote, for pre 1997 licences I would go with options 2 or 3 as 1 is an absolute pain due to idiots at DVSA.

trevHCS:
Re the original question - I’ve not found too many books or useful videos for driving as you basically learn (rapidly) as you go.

There are so many parts to this job that you can only really learn by doing, eg: strapping pallets, chaining steel, fridges, curtains etc.

If you go on agency you’ll learn even quicker, as in crash course at 5am in the dark when its raining! :slight_smile:

idrive:
A newly qualified driver only needs to take the 2 test based modules of CPC, theory and walk around, to be able to work.

If you pass your car test before Jan 1997 then you can get CPC three ways.

1. The second theory and mod 4 tests.
  2. 35 hours in classroom.
  3. If training inc CPC credits then they count.

However if you pass post 1997 then you have to do the mod 2 and mod 4 as mentioned (option 1).

As a sidenote, for pre 1997 licences I would go with options 2 or 3 as 1 is an absolute pain due to idiots at DVSA.

Thanks for all the comments. I passed my car test in 1978. I start the road training next week with test on Friday. Then initial CPC training class based followed by test then preactical training then the show and tell test.

Good luck next week, I passed in my 50 s and found the fast paced multi drop too much e.g. brakes, watch what you get into and youll be fine, I found delivering plastic around the country on 18 tonners ok for 2 years with the odd night out , but steady work, facias and guttering etc., a few scattered around the country if you look out for it. Now have moved to day work on tippers and I am happy, that’s my take in the 2,1/2 yrs I have done may be of help when choosing where to settle, Good luck and fingers crossed.