Contemplating HGV training

Hi all. New to the forum :blush: at a bit of a crossroads in life (no pun intended) … 28y/o F who’s competent behind the wheel and always had a passion for driving and exploring the roads in general. Worked behind bars and in sales mostly, more recently doing multi-drop driving. Looking for a change in career, but worried I’ll spend all that money on training and fail or pass and won’t be able to find work because I’ll have zero experience… as you can see I always look for the positives… :unamused: :laughing: Any hints/tips or useful advice or motivational quotes for me? :smiley: looking forward to hearing from some of you, thanks :grimacing:

Hi and welcome to the forum. Depending on your location, it may or may not be relatively straightforward to get work. It’s generally easier with a CE licence under your belt though there can be plenty of CAT C opportunities as well.

Ignore ads stating ■■ amount of experience needed. When the truck is stood in the corner with no driver, the rules quickly change!

I’ve also sent you a pm which you may find interesting.

Any questions, fire away, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Peter, thank you very much for your reply and PM. I appreciate all the information you have given me and have checked out your links and offers which look great, thank you. Will be hoping to start training after the New Year, and will definetely give you a call to find out more. I am currently based in Widnes with close links to motorway. Looking forward to speaking more soon :smiley:

Do it. I did it at 30 and haven’t regretted it. The drop in stress levels is brilliant.

I spent the extra money, went straight to class 1 because I never had any interest in multi drop or class 2 trucks in general. There are a number of big firms who will take new passes, so don’t worry about that and dont get sucked into “agency is the only way” route.

Peter Smythe:
Hi and welcome to the forum. Depending on your location, it may or may not be relatively straightforward to get work. It’s generally easier with a CE licence under your belt though there can be plenty of CAT C opportunities as well.

Ignore ads stating ■■ amount of experience needed. When the truck is stood in the corner with no driver, the rules quickly change!

I’ve also sent you a pm which you may find interesting.

Any questions, fire away, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Could you send me the same PM if it’s relevant to all people in this position please Peter? I am in the same boat as the OP, except I’m quite a bit older :frowning:

All done. Let me know if I can help further, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter, I’m going to your open day on the 6th :slight_smile:

Look forward to meeting you. Make yourself known to me. A little tip; Open Days tend to get busy from around 10. So come early, if you can, and we can spend more time chatting.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

slowlane:
Do it. I did it at 30 and haven’t regretted it. The drop in stress levels is brilliant.

I spent the extra money, went straight to class 1 because I never had any interest in multi drop or class 2 trucks in general. There are a number of big firms who will take new passes, so don’t worry about that and dont get sucked into “agency is the only way” route.

Thank you very much !! Yes I think I will :grimacing:

give you a call to find out more.

I’m not often in the office but I’m in a bit this week due to staff holidays. I’ll be there till about 1230 tomorrow (Tuesday) if you want to catch me. But there’s other folks that can help just the same if that’s not possible.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Rosie

Just round the corner from you in Runcorn (Salford is the depot), all new starts have that dilemma and yet everyone one way or another gets behind the wheel, otherwise we’d not have any truck drivers.

I’m an employer and I have taken on new passes in our other office (it’s vans and 7.5s here) and a big part of what makes an employer take a chance is attitude and presentation and women often do really well on that score :wink:

Based on your location, which I hadn’t noticed until Albion brought it up - look at Stobart’s offering for training.

I did my licence with them and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them, plus it makes you a shoe in for a job with them afterwards.

I didn’t choose to work for them after I got my licence due to geography more than anything (I lived in London at the time). Now I’m about to start work for them out of Widnes container port. So it seems I’ve come full circle by chance!

I’d agree with slowlane… do it! I done cat c a couple years ago at the age of 25 and spent 2yrs or so with a pallet network firm on multi drop, after about 12months I moved on to c+e with the same firm still doing pallet multi drop. Was daunting at first some of the places they expected us to get the full size artics were unreal but on the whole a great experience and gave me the opportunity to develop my skills as well as the opportunity to use and get used to many different types of tractor units and trailers.

Although not the easiest work I would recommend it to new drivers, most pallet network hauliers won’t worry wether you start with experience or not. In my own experience that is. From that I moved on and now have one of the easiest c+e jobs I’ve ever known of, hours suit well and the money is good for the work I do.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow , thank youu so much everyone, I didn’t expect so many replies :blush: :smiley: just reading through them properly now, will take on board everything you have said and will check out the the offers/training suggested . Thanks for being an excellent bunch of people :grimacing: can’t wait to get this ball rolling in the very near future.