Caught Speeding (Car)

Hey guys,

I was caught speeding in my car and have received a NIP to acknowledge that it was me. I was driving down the M1 doing 63 in a variable 50. I left it too late to ease off.

It’s my first offense. Given that I hold a HGV licence, How screwed am I? I must admit, I’m freaking out a little.

• Agent

At 63 you’ll be offered a Speed Awareness Course if you haven’t already done one - end result no impact, other than to your pocket! Won’t affect work, but some car insurers ask and load accordingly (primarily the Admiral group - Admiral, Elephant, Bell, etc). They can’t check though :wink:

If you end up taking 3 points it might make getting jobs harder, but I can’t imagine the Traffic Commissioner taking an interest in something like this!

Don’t worry drive :slight_smile:

Personally I can’t see a speed awareness course being offered for 13 mph of the posted speed limit ( I may be wrong ) probably just the 3points & £100 fine

It’s 10%+9mph in a lot of police force areas, so up to 64mph in a 50 limit

doubt if any prospective employers will worry about just the 3 points on your license.

I’ll tell the company that I currently work for what happened.

This Agency guy freaked me out. Saying that I’d be called before the traffic commissioner and I could potentially lose my license if I’m not careful etc…

Basket:

Don’t think there is any tolerance in the variable speed cameras.Might be wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You will be offered a speed awareness course whether it’s a variable speed limit or not.
The agency bloke is just scaremongering.
You can book the speed awareness course for a day/time that suits you, and you don’t have to do the course in the area you were caught in, there will be places close to your home for you to do it. They also vary in price by as much as £20 so be selective when you choose.
But stop worrying.

daftvader:

Basket:

Don’t think there is any tolerance in the variable speed cameras.Might be wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You’re allowed 10%+1mph at any speed cameras on public roads, including for VSLs and average speed checks. For 50mph motorway VSLs, you can go through on the 56mph limiter (enforcement starts at +10%+2mph, in this case 57)

Agentile:
I’ll tell the company that I currently work for what happened.

This Agency guy freaked me out. Saying that I’d be called before the traffic commissioner and I could potentially lose my license if I’m not careful etc…

^^^^^^^
tell them nothing.
and anything heard in an rdc is waffle unless proven otherwise whether from a limper or from someone with a real job.
itl be a course or a pishy fine,then nothing…forget about it completely.

Pity they never offered SAC’s in Scotland, yesterday received the NIP for doing 94 in a 70 on the A9, again … as the wife says will I ever learn, doubtful but I’ll keep a better eye out for camera vans in future :sunglasses:

Speed Awarness course irrelevant for Scotland. Go down the unsigned route and you won’t get any points. It’s a lot of hassle to.do but you will not get any points at the end of the day

When did you physically receive the NIP compared to the date of offence? If it was after the 14th day then it’s unenforceable. It is legally binding up to the 14th day but anything after and its not.

Dangerous-Dan:
When did you physically receive the NIP compared to the date of offence? If it was after the 14th day then it’s unenforceable. It is legally binding up to the 14th day but anything after and its not.

Absolute tosh and a common myth. The NIP only has to be posted within 14 days of the offence. You don’t even have to have recieved it. It is assumed to have been received once it has been posted.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

Absolute tosh and a common myth. The NIP only has to be posted within 14 days of the offence. You don’t even have to have recieved it. It is assumed to have been received once it has been posted.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

It’s not tosh or a myth but a fact. It has to be served e.g received on the 14th day as a maximum. There are some exceptions like postal strikes or abnormally bad weather but basically that NIP has to have been sent on the 12th day to be received. If it’s dated the 13th or even 14th day and then received beyond the 14th day it’s not enforceable.