New Driver Employment

Next week I am sitting my 35 hrs for cpc, I hold 7.5 tonne through aquired rights (no experience). Thinking about doing my Cat 2 straight after…I am based 10 minutes from Dover. Have new drivers found it easy to find work? This is a career change for me at 46 and slightly nervous. Thanks.

benjamincp:
Next week I am sitting my 35 hrs for cpc, I hold 7.5 tonne through aquired rights (no experience). Thinking about doing my Cat 2 straight after…I am based 10 minutes from Dover. Have new drivers found it easy to find work? This is a career change for me at 46 and slightly nervous. Thanks.

Pity you did not wait and get some of those 35 hours from doing your cat C with a provider such as the forum sponsor

Go for it. You will regret it if you don´t.

Work is around - and it can be very enjoyable. I’m leaving tonight to do a night shift involving handball and opening up places all by myself. Most people would call that a dog of a job on here. But I genuinely enjoy it. I’ll earn good money for it as well.

In some/many ways class 2 work is more interesting than class 1. Class 1 is invariably easier (except for blokes like me who handball off an artic) - but it’s can be a bit dull. Driving along the motorway coming off a juntion and then straight to an rdc doesn’t really give you a chance to see much.

If you are not too picky you will get a start. And if you are willing to move around (or simply go agency) you will work out what you’d like. If I were looking for a full time class 2 job it would be for a same day courier. A nice mix of work, variety of destinations, keeps you on your toes etc… But that’s just me.

P.S - I’m about to take an almighty risk and say I think ROG is wrong. Whilst you won’t get the hours credited for THIS cpc - if you do your class 2 at an accedited place you can get them added on for the next one. Meaning if you got 2 days added you will only need three more to get 10 years worth of CPC. So doing the full course now is no biggy.

■■?
He´ll get credited for all those hours CPC, and a card in the post. It´s what I´ve just done.
Mebbe ROG is saying he could have saved some money? Yeah, I´ll go with that hypothesis :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies, regarding the cpc I could have just done module 2 and 4 but to be honest there wasn’t much difference in the price for the 35 hour which is neither a pass or fail…

I’m hoping on getting night work when all done 4 shifts a week, has anybody done gritted work here?.. I’m hoping to avoid the multi drops to be honest…Thanks again

Multi drop is not as hard as it’s made out to be. I quite enjoyed my time on c2 doing multi drop. But I did get cheesed off in the end, which is why I moved up to class one.

Now I’m stuck on shunting! If you want boring, give that a go! Why am I still there? Where else would you get paid £13.86 per hr to watch YouTube till 3am?

jbaz73:
Multi drop is not as hard as it’s made out to be. I quite enjoyed my time on c2 doing multi drop. But I did get cheesed off in the end, which is why I moved up to class one.

Now I’m stuck on shunting! If you want boring, give that a go! Why am I still there? Where else would you get paid £13.86 per hr to watch YouTube till 3am?

And here is my who has just finished 15 hours of class 2 multidrop handball! I say multidrop I had three. And it’s no harder than levelling air suspention and rolling some cages onto tail lift. Then pushing them off after opening the doors.

P.S - Can’t reply to your PM mate. I’m not sure why but it’s stopping me sending PM’s. Can only assume I’ve upset the wrong person.

Jbaz73
The answer to your question where else would you get paid £13.86 to watch YouTube at 3am…Don’t know about these days but I used to get plus that working nights in the print, sadly 20 years in the trade and there is no money left in it… maybe one of the reasons being the above!!

To be honest I will take anything at first but had an interesting conversation earlier regarding gritting during the winter months…with the multi drops don’t you get constantly pushed on time.?