Class 2 part time work

Hi. I’m about to start my class 2 training. My idea is to go with agencies once passed.
I’m in the south UK. I’m looking at doing 3 days or nights per week, is this possible? Or do companies prefer full time work? I will be going on to my class 1 but feel it’s probably best to get class 2 experience first? Thoughts people?
Thanks

If you sign on with an agency not only are you likely to get work, but you can choose when you work and how many days [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I’ve done it many times, it is possible

TruckerBear:
Hi. I’m about to start my class 2 training. My idea is to go with agencies once passed.
I’m in the south UK. I’m looking at doing 3 days or nights per week, is this possible? Or do companies prefer full time work? I will be going on to my class 1 but feel it’s probably best to get class 2 experience first? Thoughts people?
Thanks

My expert topic. In fact you were me in January.

Firstly it is possible. It’s not only possible but it’s relatively easy to do. Pass the tests - go to agency. Tell them when you can work - and then wait. They will call you. Weekend work is easy to get. Most full timers want weekends off. Lot’s of people don’t like nights - so again easy shifts to get. And the lack of traffic makes them easy shifts.

Class 2 experience - not required. The work is very different from class 1. Although I don’t mind a bit of class 2 now and again still. Biggest problem - you will turn the steering wheel the wrong way when reversing. After a few seconds you will snap out of this.

Do it - I have ZERO regrets. I enjoy driving. I earn a significant chunk of cash into my bank each week. And I have an insurance policy for life (or very ill health) meaning that I can always earn some money if needed. It doesn’t have to be a forever job - but it’s a good way to supplement your income.

P.S - you will read a lot of total garbage on here about lots of things. Agencies are not all bad. They provide a serice. And the job is not that bad either. As I’ve said I enjoy it - and frankly it’s easy. You will get to see some fascinating stuff as a driver.

P.P.S - if cash is tight or you are not 100% sure then just do the class 2. I have some really found memories of my class 2 work. And some shocking ones. But that is all part of the fun.

That about sums it up :smiley:

Sammy did it the same way I did (except the Ltd bit, I was paye) pass the test, go to the agency, tell them when you are available and wait for the phone call. Simples.

I was lazy! I was going out partying, and only wanted to work 2/3 shifts a week. They were very accommodating. They kept asking/begging me to work full time, but at that time I didn’t want it

I found driver hire/qs/protemp and zest to be the best of the bunch where I am. But most agencies should accommodate what you want. If the agency you’re signing up to won’t then go to another, there’s plenty out there to choose from.

whereabouts in the South are you?

people may be in a position to give you a few companies to approach if we have a better idea of your location

Jonny

Thank you all for the brilliant replies. Much appreciate the time you’ve taken. You have put my mind at ease that part time is possible.

Sorry it’s taken a few days to reply, work getting in the way!
I’m based between Portsmouth and Guildford.

sammym:

TruckerBear:
Thanks

My expert topic. In fact you were me in January.

Firstly it is possible. It’s not only possible but it’s relatively easy to do. Pass the tests - go to agency. Tell them when you can work - and then wait. They will call you. Weekend work is easy to get. Most full timers want weekends off. Lot’s of people don’t like nights - so again easy shifts to get. And the lack of traffic makes them easy shifts.

Class 2 experience - not required. The work is very different from class 1. Although I don’t mind a bit of class 2 now and again still. Biggest problem - you will turn the steering wheel the wrong way when reversing. After a few seconds you will snap out of this.

Do it - I have ZERO regrets. I enjoy driving. I earn a significant chunk of cash into my bank each week. And I have an insurance policy for life (or very ill health) meaning that I can always earn some money if needed. It doesn’t have to be a forever job - but it’s a good way to supplement your income.

P.S - you will read a lot of total garbage on here about lots of things. Agencies are not all bad. They provide a serice. And the job is not that bad either. As I’ve said I enjoy it - and frankly it’s easy. You will get to see some fascinating stuff as a driver.

P.P.S - if cash is tight or you are not 100% sure then just do the class 2. I have some really found memories of my class 2 work. And some shocking ones. But that is all part of the fun.

Wow Thank you for all the info. I love driving, hence why I have choosen this route. I’ve always wanted to drive HGVs, and finally taking the plunge. Cannot wait to start my training in a couple if weeks time.

Is it worth calling round agencies now to start the ball rolling? Or will they just say call back when passed?

I’m guessing as I will be a newbie I will get the dregs? That’s cool as I’ve got to prove myself too.

TruckerBear:
Is it worth calling round agencies now to start the ball rolling? Or will they just say call back when passed?

I’m guessing as I will be a newbie I will get the dregs? That’s cool as I’ve got to prove myself too.

Until you have passed (and realistically have the cards in your hand) you are no use to an agency. You might fail or you might decide driving isn’t for you (or simply get another job). So they won’t be too interested until you have passed.

Make sure you have applied for your tacho card (you need a cheque book) as if you pass you will need this before you can do anything else.

This time of year it’s starting to go mental. Blokes who usually drive class 2 but have class 1 are being tempted to have a go at driving the big trucks as the money is being thrown around. So there will be work.

With regards to work - if you don’t like a place just tell them you don’t want to go back there. As long as it’s legal and safe I’d just crack on if I were you. Right now it’s so busy it’s a great time to learn the basics - no one is going to get too funny if you are not great. They don’t have enough drivers to be that picky.

You’ll be run ragged and wonder why you bothered within a week guaranteed :laughing:

SuperMultiBlue:
You’ll be run ragged and wonder why you bothered within a week guaranteed :laughing:

People said the same to me. 8 months in I still enjoy it.

I work at my own pace. I ignore people if they tell me stuff I don’t like. And I do my own thing.

I’d also not consider myself run ragged. 75% of my shifts have been what I’d consider ‘easy’. They include rocking up and just sleeping in a truck as a relief driver. You are only run ragged if you allow yourself to be - just bring stuff back if it’s too much. If they don’t like it they can find another mug.

sammym:

SuperMultiBlue:

People said the same to me. 8 months in I still enjoy it.

I work at my own pace. I ignore people if they tell me stuff I don’t like. And I do my own thing.

I’d also not consider myself run ragged. 75% of my shifts have been what I’d consider ‘easy’. They include rocking up and just sleeping in a truck as a relief driver. You are only run ragged if you allow yourself to be - just bring stuff back if it’s too much. If they don’t like it they can find another mug.

I work for a very well known postal service, so I’m use to standing up for myself and telling them to find another mug!!

I’ve got my drivers card back, so now it’s a case of passing the test, easy…right!!!
Also I should mention I’m female. Will this be a negative in finding work?

TruckerBear:
I’ve got my drivers card back, so now it’s a case of passing the test, easy…right!!!

No one will care in the slightest. No one will hold is against you. There is nothing I do that a women couldn’t do just as well (and in most cases better). Driving is not a physical job (apart from a small amount of work that no one would really want anyway) look at the state of most drivers - they’d struggle to do their shoelaces up themselves with their belly.

Just turn up and drive - I do a ‘handball’ job a couple of nights a week. It involves me reversing onto loading bays - then tolling cages onto a taillift and pressing the down button. I then need to push them through the doors. My partner could easily do it - and she’s 5"4 and weighs about 8 stone. This work is considered too hard for most drivers and they avoid it. You have nothing to worry about.

sammym:

TruckerBear:

No one will care in the slightest. No one will hold is against you. There is nothing I do that a women couldn’t do just as well (and in most cases better). Driving is not a physical job (apart from a small amount of work that no one would really want anyway) look at the state of most drivers - they’d struggle to do their shoelaces up themselves with their belly.

Just turn up and drive - I do a ‘handball’ job a couple of nights a week. It involves me reversing onto loading bays - then tolling cages onto a taillift and pressing the down button. I then need to push them through the doors. My partner could easily do it - and she’s 5"4 and weighs about 8 stone. This work is considered too hard for most drivers and they avoid it. You have nothing to worry about.

Ah that’s all good. I’m physically fit anyway, use to walking miles and lifting heavy bags! Plus I don’t mind getting my hands dirty, I’ve worked on farms and with dogs.

The more I think about it, the more nights appeal to me. But is there much night work for class 2? I will move on to class 1 as I’ve paid for it already, but want to start driving as soon as I pass!

Another question…can the cpc course be broken down to just covering a year? Or do I have to do the full 35 hours in one go (over a week).

There’s bags of c work around in my area, can’t speak for yours.

A trained chimp could do my job, so you’ve no worries there.

The cpc in a perfect world would work how you suggested, but sadly the loonies are running the asylum! You have to do the full 35 before you’re going anywhere

I’ve just seen that you want night work. I like night work, not many people and not a lot of traffic. But you have to factor in a few other problems, like road closures. They always close the road you need to be on. If you hit a problem, you may very well be on your own. I trunk to rdcs (when I go out) but this isn’t likely to be the case. You may very well be given a set of keys and a code for the alarm, then have to reset everything when you leave. The hours can still be long, if you start at midnight and finish at 3pm and you have a 40 minute commute, it doesn’t leave too much time for sleep. They can do that to you 3 times a week. Also if you get caught with a night out?

I don’t mean to be negative, the job you get may be your dream job. I’m just pointing out what can potentially happen. I love nights! I wouldn’t do any other shift. But I do 18:00-0300 and I’ve only done 2x15 mins overtime in 3 years!

I wish you luck with it :smiley:

Thank you for your input. I’d rather know the good and the bad. I don’t want people to make it look all fluffy, when sometimes it isn’t. I’m sure it will be trial and error at the beginning of this new journey I’m taking, but hopefully I will find what works best for me.
Night work just seems to fit home life better.

jbaz73:
I’ve just seen that you want night work. I like night work, not many people and not a lot of traffic. But you have to factor in a few other problems, like road closures. They always close the road you need to be on. If you hit a problem, you may very well be on your own. I trunk to rdcs (when I go out) but this isn’t likely to be the case. You may very well be given a set of keys and a code for the alarm, then have to reset everything when you leave. The hours can still be long, if you start at midnight and finish at 3pm and you have a 40 minute commute, it doesn’t leave too much time for sleep. They can do that to you 3 times a week. Also if you get caught with a night out?

I don’t mean to be negative, the job you get may be your dream job. I’m just pointing out what can potentially happen. I love nights! I wouldn’t do any other shift. But I do 18:00-0300 and I’ve only done 2x15 mins overtime in 3 years!

I wish you luck with it :smiley:

jbaz73:
The cpc in a perfect world would work how you suggested, but sadly the loonies are running the asylum! You have to do the full 35 before you’re going anywhere

Hi,

It’s my understanding that when getting a first LGV license, you only need to take the theory and walk around tests for CPC to be able to work. You are then covered for the next 5 years and do not need to do any hours based training within this 5 years…

Hope this is true as I take my test next week and this what I have been led to believe.

Can anyone confirm this please?