First bump

Had my first bump today. Not my fault as was reversed into but a bit worried about one particular aspect.

Was parked on a yard waiting for the paperwork having already been tipped. Impatient guy in an arctic wants to get onto the bay I’m parked opposite at 90 degrees to (exactly where I was told to park).

I reverse back to give him what looked to me to be plenty of room and he pulls alongside me and starts reversing to the right. Right at the last minute when he should’ve been straightening up I realise he’s going to clip my offside front corner of cab. I try to inch back (knowing I was already close to barrier) and unfortunately bent the barrier (no damage whatsoever to rear of truck).

The warehouse took a load of photos and I’m now wondering where I stand with this? I bent the fence but I was trying to avoid being hit and it’s not like I had time to hop out and check how close I was.

Front of truck is pretty bad. Corner panel has come off, driver door dented near hinge, bottom mirror smashed, mirror stem doesn’t want to stay in place, grill cracked, etc. Wondering if I should’ve just sat there and let him hit me!

Basically yes!,him hitting you was his fault…you reversing into the barrier was yours I’m afraid.

xichrisxi:
Basically yes!,him hitting you was his fault…you reversing into the barrier was yours I’m afraid.

Usually a heavy hand on the horn works best

nick2008:

xichrisxi:

I avoided stating the obvious :laughing:

Yeah, I’d usually have hit the horn. However, I’d been driving a van all week up until lunchtime today and with that one the horn is on the face of the wheel rather than on the indicator stem (and it takes a few hits to work sometimes).

I had already hammered the front of the wheel (thinking it was playing up) and only realised after that the horn isn’t on there. It all happened within seconds…

xichrisxi:

nick2008:

xichrisxi:

I avoided stating the obvious :laughing:

I thought that as well

Obviously the client are only going to be concerned about their fence rather than the truck. Who would foot the bill usually, the agency I work for or the company I’m driving for currently?

Tailschwing:
Obviously the client are only going to be concerned about their fence rather than the truck. Who would foot the bill usually, the agency I work for or the company I’m driving for currently?

Depends on the agreement the agency have.

Ah, of course.

Well, warehouse manager called me back. Nice guy and said it’s just one of those things. However, as barrier is only a few weeks old they’re going to have to claim it from my employer for repair.

It’s very much like the type of barrier used on motorway central reservations. Anyone know if this is likely to be cheap or megabucks and if they can straighten out (rather than fully replace) dents in this stuff?

Shouldn’t cost too much but I wouldn’t worry about it as long as you haven’t got to pay for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m most worried about not getting any more work from that agency/client. £12.50 p/h for Class 2 and also frequently for driving a van, and it’s rarely more than 4-5 drops most of which are rural rather than in the city centre like last job.

Im sure you will be ok

Forgot I’d taken this pic (not sure how to rotate it).

I’m guessing this won’t be too costly to fix?

It looks like only one section to be unbolted and replaced.
The possible problem is the company aren’t likely to get their own “diy handyman” to do it. Since they said it’s new (and it looks shiny) they’ll get in the builders who originally did it. Travelling in from whatever, etc. Quote for work seems high? “That’s ok mate, we aren’t paying ourselves”.

Anyway, don’t sweat too much: you haven’t signed any of those contracts where you carry the cost of insurance excess or owt have you? You aren’t a limited company and liable yourself?

“Stuff” Happens.
It happens to all of us, one way or another. Learn any lessons here, But it’ll just happen a different way next time! :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Tailschwing:
Front of truck is pretty bad. Corner panel has come off, driver door dented near hinge, bottom mirror smashed, mirror stem doesn’t want to stay in place, grill cracked, etc. Wondering if I should’ve just sat there and let him hit me!

Is this damage to your truck after other hit you?

If it is then let warehouse company charge your company who in turn would just claim it all back off other driver ?

Yeah, that’s damage from the guy reversing into me. I’m not too worried about that tbh as the guy admitted it was his fault and there are front cameras on the wagon - which belongs to company I’m working for. I’m more worried about the barrier which was my fault, although I only hit it when I looked up and saw I was a second away from being hit - I think even if I’d hit the horn (rather than pressed steering wheel; doh) it would probs have been too late.

Tailschwing:
Yeah, that’s damage from the guy reversing into me. I’m not too worried about that tbh as the guy admitted it was his fault and there are front cameras on the wagon - which belongs to company I’m working for. I’m more worried about the barrier which was my fault, although I only hit it when I looked up and saw I was a second away from being hit - I think even if I’d hit the horn (rather than pressed steering wheel; doh) it would probs have been too late.

I’d be telling my company to claim whatever the loss is against them from other driver - cause and effect scenario. Even though you meant well its still because of what they did

Then again - I personally wouldn’t be worried as it’s not my truck or insurance.

You’ve given all relevant info so let them slog it out via insurances [emoji6]

It’s good that you’re bothered about it, it shows that you are a good driver and careful. Learn from the experience and move on. Unless you have signed a damage waiver you have nothing to worry about, put it out of your mind.

it shouldnt be long now before some of our more holymoly pedantic nit pickers come along to inform you that unless you contact your own insurers immediately for your private car insurance then if your hienius carnage is discovered in the future then they will cancel your policy forthwith and also refuse to cover any payout in the event of any future accident you may have,leading to you beng sued by any other party you may have an accident with and also being uninsurable in the future because said insurance company refused to keep you insured…
you have had an accident when you were driving a truck.you are obliged to disclse that to your private car insurers .
the reality is that its a load of pish and you wouldnt,but theres the famous few in here are convinced that you are required to do so or face the consequences,