3 Months In.

Apologies to start off with, this might be in the wrong forum section but I wanted to offer my experiences with newbies that I have had after 3 months of working on Class 2’s.

Sure, 3 months isn’t a massive amount of time potentially to offer my thoughts, especially with the old skool types that have being doing it for 300 odd years and know the ins and outs of a truck more than their specific type of partner in life, but I just thought it would be a glimpse into what one may expect in the run up to passing their test and looking for work afterwards.

I worked in retail for many a year, security wise, before venturing into office work, sat at a desk, looking at the same faces day in and day out, answering phones and generally getting peed off with the command and control management style, bullying, target driven office monkeys that were other people in positions they must have shagged their way to. It came to ahead when I got to work last year, sat there looking at my ‘chained to the desk neighbour with an attitude problem that even a Nun would want to slap’ and thought ‘I’ve ruddy had enough of this, I’m off’.

I then went to HR and told them ‘I’m off’, they asked ‘Where to?’ I replied, ‘Anywhere but here’, got up and walked out. The feeling of relief after 13 years of sitting on my now lardy arse was epic. The weight lifted off my shoulders. I drove home listening to ‘Gonna Fly Now’ from Rocky, turned up to 12 (11 is so yesterday). It then set in about a mile from home ‘Oh what the hell have I just done? Mortgage, bills, car etc. How will I manage?’

In an extreme turn of luck, HR phoned and said they would pay me to the end of the month due to services rendered, great I have a months worth of wages. Now what?? I happened to contact a mate and chatted about what I had done and he said ‘Why not try getting your HGV license, plenty of work, decent money and the view from the office changes all the time’.

Ok, why the hell not. And so started my journey into the wonderful world of Professional Driving or in other terms, getting a large vehicle into places you didn’t think a car would go…

For a few weeks I spent my time walking the pooch with the truckers bible in hand, learning about the modules I needed to take and what was required, taking in all the info I could while picking up dog poop (with a bag of course). Course booked and the day loomed closer, ‘Gonna fly now’ was changed to ‘Gonna fail now’ as I set off to the test centre, sharting myself. Got there, did the modules and surprised myself when I was told I had passed.
For some reason, I still recall the chap in the wheelchair that just wheeled into the road on my hazard perception test. I hope he is ok still.

With this passed it was now time to get some proper lessons. The internet is a wonderful place but also one that has unscrupulous websites offering you all sorts of goodness and opportunites in learning to drive an HGV. I got a call from one, they talked the talk and asked me how £35k a year sounded. Well, that sounds great. Good we can get you a job once passed. Hmm I thought. Sounds too good to be true, I’ll think about it. The calls kept coming ‘Have you decided, we can reduce the payment to entice you’, ‘No, I have actually changed my mind and decided on working in ■■■■’…silence and click.

Ahh, a forum for truckers, trucknet. Lets sign up and see what’s what. Spent a good while trawling the forum, reading everything I could. Sure enough, there are places that offer you loads, training wise, but don’t deliver, over priced and full of promises that even a virgin on their first night of passion couldn’t keep. Thanks trucknet, good advice for us noobs.

Finally found a place local to me, wnet for an assessment and away we went, trucking…or actually learning to truck. Reversing, taking corners, speed, mirrors, signal, manoeuvre, hill starts both up and down, positioning on the road, distance from other vehicles and all other wonderful things, loved it.

Test time…oh budgie hell. Nerves set in (of course). My tutor told me ‘Hey you know how to drive, all you are doing is showing the test person that you can do it in a larger vehicle’. We arrive, I view the scene for reversing. For some reason it reminded me of Krypton Factor. Nerves set in even more. We walked into the waiting area. I walked into the toilets and unloaded, literally. I hadn’t been this nervous since I went on a date with an ex Miss Italia. It wasn’t a date, but felt like one, but wasn’t.

The test chap walked in and called my name, I showed him my license. He was a grizzled old bugger, face that had never smiled in centuries, short, chubby and grey haired. Like a wizened version of Johnny Vegas, just not as fun.

‘Right, let’s go to the vehicle and I will ask you some questions’ So we did. ‘Show me, tell me’ ‘Can you show me how to put the wipers on and check they are working’ Done, ‘Can you tell me how to check the tyres’ 1mm, 3/4 across all around the tyre, checking for rips, tears or cording (I am missing some parts, I know…shut up).

Right now can you bring the truck up to this point (points to where he wants me to go) and stop. Time for reversing. I potter up slowly towards the starting point, my right leg shaking like a parkinsons victim. I stop, he says ‘You could have gone quicker’ Me thinking 'Yes, I could have gone quicker but I didn’t because my leg is doing a really bad impression of shakin stevens.

‘Now I want you to reverse into…’ Yep I got it, one and half turns of the wheel and away we go’ I do that, I reverse and knock over a cone.

‘Right, stop’ he shouts. WTF■■? Did I knock it over? Did I turn the wheel correctly? Wait, 5 mins in the vehicle and game over■■? Nooooo, surely he hadn’t set the flags up correctly, I have never hit any of them in training. Arsebiscuits. Game over.

I return to the waiting room, and reluctantly tell my tutor I failed. We drive back, I say it wasn’t set up correctly, I definitely did a turn and a half of the wheel. I am confused, disappointed and annoyed.

C’est la vie’, dude.

I get home and drown my sorrows into a bottle of whiskey, helped along by a friend who also helps themselves to said whiskey.

A month later, I have a morning of driving and then go for my test again still nervous but not as bad as before. A different chap this time, still greying and miserable as sin, but less Johnny Vegas, more Jabba the Hutt. We go straight out and do the driving test part. All seems well until I clip a kerb, gently. Arses, failed. Ok, well lets just drive. I do. We get back and time for reversing, I pull it off perfectly.

Ok, well I have to say you failed this time, clipped three kerbs and didn’t see a car to the left when we came up to a roundabout. Noooooooooo. Also, you are slow when going round roundabouts so just pick it up a little.

■■■■ it.

3 weeks later Test 3, I go out with a different chap for the morning just to get some practice, he is chilled out, not an Army Sarge type. I relax more. Time for the test. Same chap as my 2nd attempt. He doesn’t recognise me… Off we go.

Sometime in he asks me to take the 4th exit on a roundabout, I indicate and take the third, he shouts ‘No, that way’ but it is too late, I indicated and committed myself. He isn’t happy. ■■■■ it, failed I think.

He tells me that I have now added 8 miles to the journey. Sorry, pal, but if I had changed you would have failed me, I think to myself.

Later, we arrive back, do the reversing and he says he is happy to say I have passed. Aces, I feel so chuffed. But…he says, you were a bit too quick around the roundabouts. I look at him and tell him the last time he said I was too slow, make your mind up. He also tells me he is annoyed with me for taking a wrong turn. I again explain that if I had followed his command when I was taking the 3rd exit and went to the 4th he would have failed me. He doesn’t reply. No matter, I have passed.

Onwards to finding a job…I’ll add to this if folk want to but right now the dog is pestering me to take her out…(job has been found and 3 months in)

Thanks for that, I really enjoyed reading it. And good luck with the job search :slight_smile:

steviespain:
Thanks for that, I really enjoyed reading it. And good luck with the job search :slight_smile:

Cheers, I have a job now it was just a long read and didn’t want to carry on unless it was asked.

Right forum :smiley:
Well written :smiley:
Nicely set out so easy to read such a long post :smiley:

Apart from the fact you were not born with a lorry attached to your harris, the story made me smile, driving examiners are not born sociable. I only met mine once though [emoji12]

Wheel Nut:
Apart from the fact you were not born with a lorry attached to your harris, the story made me smile, driving examiners are not born sociable. I only met mine once though [emoji12]

Well I only met mine once, when I actually passed, the other time was a practice run :wink:

Enjoyed reading that - look forward the next instalment.

Thank you!

New word added to my vocabulary: arsebiscuits! How long until that gets ZB outed?

I look forward to hearing about the job search :slight_smile:

Looking forward to Chapter two, good post!

jbaz73:
New word added to my vocabulary: arsebiscuits! How long until that gets ZB outed?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
isnt arsebiscuits not in the same catagory as
clagnuts,dangleberries,winnits,clements,farmer giles,■■■■ nut,clinkers,and klingons?? or am i thinking of something completely different? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I like this. I considered writing a similar thread telling newbies what I wish I’d known when I first started my class 2 training. But knew with my history on here I’d get roasted for it. I think that a recent new pass can pass on information to really new drivers which is highly valuable to them. Looking forward to part 2 as well.

Really good read, having just failed my first attempt at class 2 its reassuring to hear other people fail first time too… I’m only human!
And when I figure out what arsebiscuits are, I will definitely be using that word :slight_smile:
Looking forward to part 2…

dieseldog999:

jbaz73:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
isnt arsebiscuits not in the same catagory as
clagnuts,dangleberries,winnits,clements,farmer giles,■■■■ nut,clinkers,and klingons?? or am i thinking of something completely different? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Exactly that :slight_smile:

An entertaining and well written post. Having done near 20 years in retail I understand where you are coming from.

Best of luck with the job :smiley:

Part II

And with my certificate in hand, I head off home to celebrate. I phone the Mum on the way home and she asks me how it went the 3rd time. I declare solemnly ‘Aww Mum…I passed, I actually ruddy passed’. A cry of ‘Yahoo’ rings down the phone, Great news son, now to find a job’. ‘Aye, now to find a job’

So far this has taken me 5 months from start to finish and I took on a part time job to keep my head above water and to pay some bills. Thankfully the bank were ok with regards to my mortgage and gave me an extension. Said part time job was delivering food for a large chain whose name is also the name of a country. I enjoyed it, but now to find an HGV job but realised I hadn’t got my CPC card or updated drivers license or tacho card. Ahh bummonkeys.

3 week later they arrived…

Scouring the net and looking at jobs near where I live and further afield I come to a shocking discovery, one that I had, for some reason, not noticed when I was casually looking while learning to drive an HGV.

2+ years experience required, 1 year experience required, 3 years experience…you get the gist. Ok, so how do I get experience when I need experience to drive? Hmm, let’s just apply for them anyway, no harm and a no is better than silence.

Now, after reading through the forum, I notice folk mentioning going round to companies, CV in hand, and doing an Oliver Twist with a twist ‘Please sir, can I have a job?’. I thought of going down this route but for some reason I didn’t and still have no idea why. I guess maybe my lack of experience in doing so was my excuse and/or the insane thought that I would be laughed out of the door. Stupid? Yes, but there we go.

After a month of rejections for lack of experience due to not being able to get experience to build up experience, I landed an assessment. One with an agency. Great.

So, the Sunday before the assessment date, I head to bed around 9pm, set the alarm for 5am and try and get to sleep. I don’t. Too excited, too nervous, the whole shibang (spell check). 10pm, 11pm, 12am, 1am. I glance at the clock and start to understand how insomniacs feel. I am gonna be cream crackered (knackered).
Then all of a sudden the alarm goes off, I awake, bleary eyed and jump. The ruddy dog is on the bed with her backside three inches from my face. I thought I was about to enter some other worldly dimension involving chocolate starfish. ■■■■ it girl. Not something I need to see first thing in the morning.
I get up and take her out for her morning ablutions and a walk down the field at the back of the house. It’s quiet and I ponder on the mornings adventure.

7am, I decide what to wear, suit is out, shirt and tie is out. Ok, some smart jeans, boots (not safety) and a polo shirt. I get into the boost bus (the car) and off I go, a 40 minute drive. I am due to be there at 8am but I like being early. I take it slowly and pretend I am sat in the cab of a class 2. A bit of practice.

I arrive in plenty of time and park up and head to the reception area. A chap is waiting. ‘Morning, I’m here for my assessment’, I cheerfully reply. ‘You got safety boots?’ he grumbles. ‘Erm, no…I wasn’t asked to bring any by the agency’, ‘Well you need them or no assessment’. ‘Oh,erm…well No I don’t. I wish I had been told, it’s my first assessment’. ‘No boots, no assessment’ he mutters.

Now I am the type of chap that is quite laid back but I despise ignorant people and miserable ones at that, they get my back up and alas I fired back ‘Well, probably a good thing, I don’t like working for arsey people’, turned and walked out. Not the best of replies I could have come out with but with the lack of sleep and the miserableness of said chap, to hell with it.

I ring the agency, explain what has gone on, they say they were not told prospective workers needed them either. He will call me back. I get in the car and drive off, feeling somewhat peeved but also somewhat crappy at myself for what some people would consider a rookie mistake, no PPE to an assessment. He doesn’t call me back so I ring an hour later and he explains that they are needed but because they were not told they didn’t pass this on to me. Would I like another assessment next week. No thanks.

I get back home and straight on to the computer. I see two other jobs, no mention of experience. Local, so I ring up the first one. Can I come down for a chat? Yes I can, I’ll be there in 20 minutes if that’s ok. It is.

I arrive to a small yard and head into the office, a lovely women comes over and I explain I am here for the vacany and she asks me to fill in a form and offers me a cup of tea. I decline. For some reason, years back I was told not to accept drinks when going into an interview and since then it has stuck with me for some stupid reason. I could have murdered a cuppa.

10 minutes later I am called into the bosses office. A big unit of a guy, hands as big as shovels, and a face that told many tales. He smiles and shakes my hand. For some reason I am shaking, nerves have set in. We have a chat about my CV, and work that I have done before, why I decided on a change etc, etc. He tells me it’s a job that will be working away for the week, hourly rate, what to expect per week which is a good amount for a first job (nearly twice what I was on doing an office job) and what he expects from me, bonuses, staying out payments, the lot. He tells me he also wants me to get a decent sat nav and will happily loan the money and take some off each week to recoup if I can’t afford one at the moment. We chat about other things, life and that sort of stuff. A really nice chap and one I feel I would definitely want to work for which is good as he offers me the job on the pretext that I go out for the morning with someone to see how I do (yes, we will pay you for that too if you pass).

Then I realise, wait, it’s working away, I can’t take the dog. Shoot. Ok, can I work round that, I think? Hmm, I can call in some favours. I explain this and let him know I will call back later that day. Off I go back home and get in touch with friends and family to see if they would be kind enough to look after the pooch through the week, Food etc of course covered by me. Alas, I get ‘no’ from everyone bar one person. We chat about it and after a while I realise it’s a no go. She works full time too and despite the pooch being ok to leave for the day, it’s too much work while I am away. ■■■■ it

I call up and speak to my now ‘not new boss’ and explain. He thanks me for calling and tells me not a lot of people call back which I am a bit shocked at, he wishes me well and says if my circumstance change to get back in touch.

I get back on the interwebs and happen upon another job, 20 miles away. Call up for a chat. So I do and end up speaking to the MD. We have a bit of a chat and he asks when can I start? ‘Erm, is it possible to come down and speak face to face so you at least get to see me etc?’, ‘Yes no problem, how about tomorrow at 8am?’ ‘No problem, see you then’

Again, I don’t sleep that night but thankfully I do not have to wake too early this time. I drift off around 3am ish and get woken by the dog again around 6ish. This time she is the right way round staring in my face…

I set off in the car again, 30 odd minutes later I arrive. A massive yard compared to the last one and a lot of things going on, artics parked up being unloaded by forklifts, rigids being loaded, people milling about having a smoke and a cuppa. It reminded me of an ant colony for some reason. I take a deep breath and walk towards reception, climb the stairs and poke my head through the door (well the open door, be a bit daft headbutting my way through like some ‘Here’s Johnny’ Shining type affair sans axe).

‘Hello, you’re here for the interview, yes?’ says a youngish chap with a smile
‘I am indeed, yes’
‘Right, lets go into the conference room and have a chat’
We do, and we chat. 5 minutes later he asks me when I can start. ‘Well I need to give a weeks notice to ‘x’ but I can potentially start the Weds as I have some holidays they may allow me to take’.

Great, well lets get some forms filled in…what size boot are you so I can get you some safety boots’. ‘A 10 I reply’ ‘Cool, we have them in…right hopefully see you the wednesday’ and with that I am away, get in the car phone the company I am doing part time work for and yes they are happy to do that, bring in a resignation letter and all is good’

I call up the now new company and confirm we are good to go. ‘Ok, see you wednesday 7:30 ok?’ ‘It is’

Yes, I have a job driving rigids, full time too.

And so, in a few days (back in May) I start my journey into the exciting world of HGV driving. I say exciting, to some oldies it probably isn’t but for me all the months of rejection, failing my two tests, the money and the sweat and tears has finally come to this…I am going to be a pro driver…What lays ahead■■?

Great stuff!
So this brings us up to where? The start of your 3 months driving? That means there´s more, yes? :slight_smile:

One of the things I commented on in a waaay earlier post was that someone posted about the “No steelies, no assessment” thing.
I think I said at the time that this is gold nugget for us noobs because we just didn´t know.

Right, what´s next? :slight_smile:

steviespain:
Great stuff!
So this brings us up to where? The start of your 3 months driving? That means there´s more, yes? :slight_smile:

One of the things I commented on in a waaay earlier post was that someone posted about the “No steelies, no assessment” thing.
I think I said at the time that this is gold nugget for us noobs because we just didn´t know.

Right, what´s next? :slight_smile:

Well I am 3 months in to the job, that was a prequel of sorts, so yes there is more :slight_smile:

Yes, that is a golden bit of info to have, one I didn’t even think about with regards to steelies.

Next part is my journey down the noob path of getting my head around the wonders of HGV work, including an accident…

Thanks, this is turning into a real interesting thread. Tell us more :sunglasses: don’t worry about having an accident, most of us do when we start out! I know of one lad, a new class two, who was doing an 83 point turn in a street in Markfield. He was doing the reverse part, and he let the clutch out, and the wagon didn’t move. So he gave it some wellie, and the truck jolted back!!!

What had happened was as he reversed, he just kissed a metal lamppost. This was enough to stop him moving. When he gave it das boot, the lamppost failed and dropped. This is where bad moves to disaster! The lamppost landed in an ornamental pond, and proceeded to fry the fish! Thousands of pounds of koi carp electrocuted!

I can’t say for definite that that’s how it went down, but I sumise that it probably did. I know the fish rode the lightning because I saw the insurance claim in the office

jbaz73:
Thanks, this is turning into a real interesting thread. Tell us more :sunglasses: don’t worry about having an accident, most of us do when we start out! I know of one lad, a new class two, who was doing an 83 point turn in a street in Markfield. He was doing the reverse part, and he let the clutch out, and the wagon didn’t move. So he gave it some wellie, and the truck jolted back!!!

What had happened was as he reversed, he just kissed a metal lamppost. This was enough to stop him moving. When he gave it das boot, the lamppost failed and dropped. This is where bad moves to disaster! The lamppost landed in an ornamental pond, and proceeded to fry the fish! Thousands of pounds of koi carp electrocuted!

I can’t say for definite that that’s how it went down, but I sumise that it probably did. I know the fish rode the lightning because I saw the insurance claim in the office

Well, it wasn’t that type of accident however…