Digicard, first use.i

Heading out on a job tomorrow, using tacho card for the first time. All my googling suggests there´s nothing spectacular going to happen. I just put it in, manual entry if needed, drive on.
Is that about what happens?
I don´t want to look like a ■■■■ at the yard :smiley:
Thanks

I personally don’t bother with manual entries unless I’m told to, your call :slight_smile:

Ok :slight_smile:

I was also thinking about keeping track of hours, for pay. I get a signed daily timesheet anyways so…

I effin hate being a noob at my age! :smiley:

No manual entry req if it’s a new digicard. Stick it in and crack on.

simcor:
No manual entry req if it’s a new digicard. Stick it in and crack on.

Not quite true

You need to account for all your time which is where manual entries come into play

Personally if your turning up and card gets put into a truck within 15min on a first use then no I wouldn’t bother with a manual entry

However if it’s a first job and your turning up at say 6am, going through whatever induction etc they might have then it’s a good chance your card won’t go near a truck for going on 30+ min in this case I would do an entry to cover time so might not get near truck till 7 - 730am

Up to you but I’d recommend getting used to manual entries - I do them every day and never had a problem.

Chances are you’ll eventually have to do one for an assessment etc and better to know now than be under pressure when being assessed

I can’t fathom why some see manual entries as a dark art to be avoided at all costs?

Last thing you want is to be stopped and your time sheet/ run sheet says you started at 6am but your card hasn’t got anything recorded till 7am - best of luck explaining that away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t remember if it asked for a manual entry on my new card as there’s is no data on it at all. Obviously if it is a new card and there is a manual entry to do then yes it is worth doing one…

I just have a feeling on a new card it doesn’t give you the option for a manual entry but I could be wrong. I had a new card in March this year so not that long ago and it was my first replacement so I ask questions at the time myself what happens with a new card at work.

theres never a need for a manual entry unless your doing naughties and using it as a lie to take the bad look of it.
ive never ever done one in years of driving other than tipping off card or similar.
dont sweat a minor infringement assuming its now and then.

As for keeping a track of work hours etc then I use tachomaster app which was set up on out tachomaster system for me to access my working hours etc.

You can also keep a diary of start times etc.

I use work log free which is kind of like a digital diary and very useful for start and finish times and working out your hours for pay etc. You can even set it up with your pay rates to see what your wages should be.

Quite a useful app and can add notes and stuff too and export it and email logs front as well. Only available on android as far a so can tell though so if your an apple fan then nope.

dieseldog999:
theres never a need for a manual entry unless your doing naughties and using it as a lie to take the bad look of it.
ive never ever done one in years of driving other than tipping off card or similar.
dont sweat a minor infringement assuming its now and then.

As said if your card goes in at the start of your shift and out at then end then there is no need for manual entries.

However as with a lot of places you might not get your truck til after your start time so the requirement is to account for all time since you started and finished each shift.

DVSA can be as ■■■■ as they like over your tacho information and your companies paid hours etc so it’s best to be legal and cover all bases.

At a roadside check they would have no idea what time your shift started but if they had cause to dig further into the company documents then if your card is showing your start regularly after your start time then I’m sure they would happily at the very least send some fines your way or worst case tea and biscuits.

That´s great info, thanks everybody, very much appreciated.

As long as can get the card in the machine within 10 mins, I´l let it go. Anymore than that, manual entry to start of shift.
I have no intention of doing anything illegal,I´m too old, it would just make me dizzy :smiley:

Right, 03:15, shower, off to the bus.
Laters.

Looking forward to Stevie to come back online and tell us he’s not sure what the fuss was all about!

I still think that as part of your training you should use a card (and it should be mandatory) - as a new driver on my first shift I worried about it. Initial CPC - let’s teach you how to check for illegals but not worry about actually showing you which buttons to press on the tacho. Ridiculous.

Oddly our compliance guy told me never to do manual entries at beginning of shift after messing one up (after many moons of doing them).

Said as long as the card is downloaded at beginning of shift that counts aslegit for VOSA…never tested it however.

Now as for getting the card in the right way round is another matter esp at that time of the morning!

Even with a brand new card that has never been used before it asks you if you would like to make a manual entry. I know this as my card was new a few weeks ago.

Manual entries were a challenge for me but just take a look at a few YouTube videos and it all becomes clear. Plus it gives you a complete history of your start, finish and rest times. Do not have to mess around with writing your hours down in a logbook and also VOSA will be happy

Double. Soz.

Dunno what the fuss was all about, didn´t even need the tacho, wasn´t one fitted :imp:

steviespain:
Dunno what the fuss was all about, didn´t even need the tacho, wasn´t one fitted :imp:

Thought you were doing 7.5t?

Sure there wasn’t one? I’ve had them under seats ffs before now!

Saying that, if one was there and you missed it you’d be getting warnings flashing up on dash. Thought all goods vehicles over 3.5t had to mandatory fit them

dcgpx:

steviespain:

Thought you were doing 7.5t?

Sure there wasn’t one? I’ve had them under seats ffs before now!

Saying that, if one was there and you missed it you’d be getting warnings flashing up on dash. Thought all goods vehicles over 3.5t had to mandatory fit them

Agency have probably stitched him up and put him in a 3.5t van.

PC keeps locking up, at random. I had typed up ALL about my day out, like I do :smiley:, including about the tacho and veh. HUGE Merc! :smiley:
Then PC locks up and I lose everything I´ve typed.
Three times I´ve typed my usual crap up then lost it. Gonna wait until later to do it again.

Hmmm, van…hmmmmmm. It was BIG effin van if it was :open_mouth: :laughing:

steviespain:
PC keeps locking up, at random. I had typed up ALL about my day out, like I do :smiley:, including about the tacho and veh. HUGE Merc! :smiley:
Then PC locks up and I lose everything I´ve typed.
Three times I´ve typed my usual crap up then lost it. Gonna wait until later to do it again.

Hmmm, van…hmmmmmm. It was BIG effin van if it was :open_mouth: :laughing:

If it was a 7.5ter mate is must have had a tacho unless it was out of the museum and have paper tachos which I have been reading about in the history books.

Either way - hope you enjoyed it!

Def not a 7.5
Butit was huuuuge, ya hear me, huuuuge :smiley: