Went through a red light!

Managed to go through a red light today for the first time!

I’m not usually one to ‘chance it’ and I’ll generally stop rather than than run ambers, which ironically was my downfall this time.

I was in a 26t with a full load of steel and I wasn’t expecting the pedestrian crossing to change as there wasn’t anyone standing near it (reckon a kid/passer by must have pressed it). I would’ve been absolutely fine if I’d just carried on without hesitation but I started braking instinctively before realising that I wasn’t going to stop in time and then had to accelerate again.

This moment’s indecision meant that the light changed to red a split second before the front of the wagon reached it.

Do pedestrian crossings generally have cameras and if so how likely am I to get booked for this stupid mistake? Feel like a right plum now.

Just look it up on google street view and see if it actually did have a camera there.

That a a good idea, although not sure I’ll be able to easily find it again as I’ve been all over today.

I read elsewhere that red light cameras are generally either free standing or are those big yellow Gatso ones. Do you know if this is still true? It was just a pedestrian crossing (not a junction) and defo didn’t have any yellow/standalone cameras.

You will probably be all right then. There’s a set of lights with a camera at Leicester that I habitually jump, and have never got done. One of the lads at work told me that you get 2 seconds leeway after the light goes red. My experience would seem to bear that out.

There probably wasn’t a camera anyway, so you could be worrying about nothing. Whether or not they have satellite surveillance though is another question… :sunglasses:

jbaz73:
You will probably be all right then. There’s a set of lights with a camera at Leicester that I habitually jump, and have never got done. One of the lads at work told me that you get 2 seconds leeway after the light goes red. My experience would seem to bear that out.

There probably wasn’t a camera anyway, so you could be worrying about nothing. Whether or not they have satellite surveillance though is another question… :sunglasses:

Satellite surveillance?
Take a trip to Bully’s Bar.
You’ll hear about it all there! [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Here’s a question…do all speed cameras have a flash? I don’t mean the average speed ones but the ones at the side of the road with the lines painted on the tarmac.

I only ask because without realising it I’d crept to 37mph in a 30 whilst fully laden going down hill with exhaust brake on. When I saw the lines in the road it was too late as I was following the lorry in front. However, I never saw the camera flash me or the driver in front

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
Here’s a question…do all speed cameras have a flash? I don’t mean the average speed ones but the ones at the side of the road with the lines painted on the tarmac.

I only ask because without realising it I’d crept to 37mph in a 30 whilst fully laden going down hill with exhaust brake on. When I saw the lines in the road it was too late as I was following the lorry in front. However, I never saw the camera flash me or the driver in front

A lot of cameras don’t work because the operators won’t maintain them. There is a speed camera on the A43 which is covered in more rust then yellow [emoji23]

SouthEastCashew:

stuwozere1:

A lot of cameras don’t work because the operators won’t maintain them. There is a speed camera on the A43 which is covered in more rust then yellow [emoji23]

This one wasn’t yellow anymore either. And it was hidden by trees. ■■■■ myself when I saw my speed, although I think I managed to get it to 34 before I went through. Driver in front gave little care to it as he was pulling away from me.

stuwozere1:

SouthEastCashew:

stuwozere1:

This one wasn’t yellow anymore either. And it was hidden by trees. [zb] myself when I saw my speed, although I think I managed to get it to 34 before I went through. Driver in front gave little care to it as he was pulling away from me.

Covered by trees is probably a good sign…