Options at this time of year

Looking on indeed (where I normally look for a new job) I’ve noticed that the agency positions are pretty much as I expected them to be in August. Another thing that I have noticed is that there are a lot more full time positions available than years gone by.

I think that I may stay with my present company, but move from night shunting to night trunk. They do only 2 runs at night, one to reading, one to Manchester. The drivers alternate between between them. I do fancy it, they are both 9 hr shifts.

I don’t know about moving company. I have been there for a couple of years now, and I’m quite settled. Or roll the dice on agency and shake things up?

The idea of going on agency, doing something totally new, and getting a few extra hours in appeals. I like a change, I like a new challenge that I’ve not done before. Financially I can do it, I have savings and my mortgage is paid off, so I don’t have to worry about the financial hit if I have a couple of days off.

On the other hand, where I am is easy and stable, pay is reasonable 13.86 per hr. the 9 hr shifts appeal, it gives me a good work life balance… albeit boring, same runs, trailer swap and back. No need of a sat nav.

I would like your opinions, what would you choose? If I go agency, I know it goes quiet after Xmas. I don’t care if I get 3 months off (which is unlikely, previously when I’ve done agency there is always plenty of work on offer)

I really don’t know what I want to do. But it comes to this; stability and boredom, or challenging and irregular?

Whatever I decide, I’m not doing anything until after my holiday. So that’s mid September at the earliest.

There is also the option of moving to another company full time. There are a couple of jobs online that may suit, but I’m really not feeling it. I just don’t know if that’s what I want. I like the idea of being on agency for a while, having a look round in my own time and pace.

Then I consider my present job. We have it so EASY!! It bothers me leaving that I will never find such an easy ride again.

Anybody’s opinions will help me. What would you do if it were you? If you take out the money, which road would you choose?

Financially, I would be better off on agency, but the money isn’t what’s driving me, it’s job satisfaction.

If I were you, I’d choose first of all between doing the night trunk for your present employer or simply staying put. IF you go for the night trunk and decide it’s not for you, you may have the chance of getting your shunting job back or you can go agency. You’ll know by the end of September how it’s going so plenty of opportunity to pick up agency work on the run up to Christmas.

Following that route will minimise the risk as far as I can see.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete :slight_smile: a very wise answer to the problem. Makes total sense to me, I think I have just got the itch to drive, doing the night trunk would scratch it. I hope :grimacing:

Plus, if you stay where you are and just shift sideways to trunking for a while, you get a change of job but you already know the firm, the infrastructure, management style, the way they do things etc. You wouldn´t have to learn how a new firm works.
They must be decent to work for if you´ve been there a while.

Whats the saying, better the devil you know? Stick with your current firm and try the trunking. If it doesn’t suit you then you have another rethink on your next steps.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk