Suitable attire for an interview

So after 7 months of no joy since passing my class 2 I may finally have scored myself an interview next week, I know everyone seems to say dress smart/casual for a driving interview, would navy cargo trousers and polo shirt be suitable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanHill87:
So after 7 months of no joy since passing my class 2 I may finally have scored myself an interview next week, I know everyone seems to say dress smart/casual for a driving interview, would navy cargo trousers and polo shirt be suitable?

Yeah that would be fine.Your going for a driving job.No need to go ott.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You only get one shot at creating a first impression - so well worth making sure you’re clean and tidy.

You may have an assessment drive, so take your cards with you.

Do some simple research on the company so you understand what they do.

Be keen but not desperate.

If your test report shows very few driving faults ie under 4, take it with you and produce it. Maybe this will impress - maybe not. But worth a try.

All the very best with the interview, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
You only get one shot at creating a first impression - so well worth making sure you’re clean and tidy.

You may have an assessment drive, so take your cards with you.

Do some simple research on the company so you understand what they do.

Be keen but not desperate.

If your test report shows very few driving faults ie under 4, take it with you and produce it. Maybe this will impress - maybe not. But worth a try.

All the very best with the interview, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the tips, haven’t found a great wealth of info on their website, might take a little more digging.

My last interview I turned up after a rainy shift, covered in grease and crap but still got the job lol

If first interview just be clean and presentable

Cards and PPE a must. Wear the safety shoes carry the hi viz.

Have they said if there is an assessment drive ?

Think most company websites are basic tbh so don’t expect to find too much.

Can’t honestly say I’ve EVER been asked about a company. Usually other way round, they end up telling you about themselves

If they already know your new then I’m sure allowance will be made. Make sure you ask about training on the job. Not desperately ask just show your willing to learn their way ( then when you’ve got job - couple weeks in you’ll just do it way suits you haha)

Good luck with it

Not said much yet, I used to work with the guy that’s just become the transport manager, he’s going to get back to me on Monday with more info.

If there is an assessment drive are you expected to drive on your own tacho card?

DanHill87:
Not said much yet, I used to work with the guy that’s just become the transport manager, he’s going to get back to me on Monday with more info.

If there is an assessment drive are you expected to drive on your own tacho card?

Generally speaking one of the shunters lends you their card to drive on. Then if they offer you the job you can start straight away and not worry about running out of hours.

Shunters don’t need to use a tacho so it’s fairest all around.

Yes most companies expect you to drive on YOUR card, everything else is against the law i.e. tacho fraud but what could possibly go wrong, heh??[emoji849]

Please drive on your own card. Big Blue Chip Companies/Hauliers most definetly won’t let you use somebody elses card and only Cowboy Outfits would let you use another card.
Ok you probably won’t need a card if you only drive around their yard during your assesment but at 99.9% the assesment will include a drive on public roads.

Also most hauliers want to see if you can use a tacho i.e. manual entry, what mode to select during your walk around check etc.

They are looking for someone to drive a truck, not negotiate contracts etc. Be clean, tidy and look responsible. Think of it like you’re sat on the other side of the table, what would you be looking for?

This comes up time and time again.

Do some searching through the last couple of pages, it won’t take long! The subject comes up so frequently.

Tidy. You don’t need a tux. Don’t turn up looking like a hand grenade has gone off in your pocket. T shirt and jeans are fine. Shave? It’s up to you (you can always say you’re growing a beard)

I have tattoos on both sides of my neck and hands, and a Mohawk. I usually wear combat trousers and a t shirt (generally what I put on in the morning)

I dyed my Mohawk cosmic blue a while back and went for a couple of other jobs. Both offered me the job, but due to personal reasons I turned them down. I think part of the reason was that I can work 7 days in my current circumstances (shunting for 5, bouncer for 2) and I need the money for my holiday, but after my holiday I am giving up the door job, it’s getting too much!

Use your common sense, iron your t shirt and jeans, have a wash and a shave and you’ll be fine.

Seriously, you will be faced with a hundred problems every day that requires initiative to sort out. There will be not a soul around to help you, you could ring the office, but ringing them 50 times a day because you can’t remember how to open the curtains will not look good. And there’s a self satisfaction in solving these things by yourself. Initiative is a big part of the job…

And you need us to tell you what clothes to wear?

jbaz73:
Seriously, you will be faced with a hundred problems every day that requires initiative to sort out. There will be not a soul around to help you, you could ring the office, but ringing them 50 times a day because you can’t remember how to open the curtains will not look good. And there’s a self satisfaction in solving these things by yourself. Initiative is a big part of the job…

And you need us to tell you what clothes to wear?

I don’t have a problem using initiative, all I am asking is a simple question to ensure I don’t blow the only chance I’ve had in the last 7 months!

Good luck Dan. I’m an employer and cargo trousers and polo sounds fine to me.

I’ve interviewed someone at Lymm services in one of Keedwells trucks, I’ve interviewed people that have just finished a shift, so whilst clean and tidy is a plus point, if I know they are working, then allowances are made.

The main thing I want to know besides driving ability, is does this guy look like he’s going to get on with my customers and not be a pain, will he get on with everyone else, does he pass the attitude test.

So to tag on to this, I’m assuming I didn’t interview that bad, got invited back yesterday for an assessment drive which I slightly fluffed up, nothing major just gear changes (6 speed manual) and taking junctions to wide due to nerves with it being the first time I’ve set foot in a truck since I passed in January, they are going to get me back later this week for another drive.

I am now wondering if taking this job if I’m offered it is a good idea though, it’s £10.21ph 40p ph less than what I am earning currently, I expected a pay drop I can live with that, but their is no company sick pay and it’s paid weekly on a Friday.

Just looking for some experienced wisdom am I just letting my nerves and fear of change get the better of me or am I likely to find better direct employed jobs for someone with no experience?

If you view this job as a stepping stone to better things, rather than the end? Doesn’t seem so bad to me.

Would it possibly be another 7 months until you get another offer? Maybe a perfect offer will come in the post tomorrow? We all know which is the most likely.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t seem to bad of a job, paid for the full length of the rostered shift even if you finish early, looks to be about 5-8 drops a day (linnen etc to hotels) anywhere between Berwick and the M62.

Is no company sick pay and weekly pay pretty standard in the industry?

DanHill87:
In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t seem to bad of a job, paid for the full length of the rostered shift even if you finish early, looks to be about 5-8 drops a day (linnen etc to hotels) anywhere between Berwick and the M62.

Is no company sick pay and weekly pay pretty standard in the industry?

Weekly pay and no company sick pay is pretty much the norm for most companies.Prob bit different with the supermarkets though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk