Another driving/shift hours question

Hi guys. I started my first shift as a class 2 driver for a construction firm today but I have a few questions that I need answered so I don’t fall foul of the rules.

Now EU rules on driving hours are that you must not drive more than:

9 hours in a day - 10 hours twice a week
56 hours in a week
90 hours in any 2 consecutive week.

Now is that for just pure driving? Like 9 or 10 hours DRIVING a day, 56 hours DRIVING a week or 90 hours DRIVING over 2 weeks?

I started my shift at 7am this morning. I drove maybe for 5 hours today and did other work and had my breaks in the rest of the time.

I finished at 5:30pm so that’s a total shift time (Inc breaks) of 10.5 hours.

Now if I do that from Monday to Friday next week and every week will I be ok as that’s 50 hours a week working? but not pure 100% driving

Driving time is what is recorded as such by the tachograph which is when the wheels are moving

Thanks Rog. I thought it was but when I start questioning things in my head I don’t think clearly anymore hahaha.

So working 52 hours a week is ok as long as I stick to the EU driving rules right?

oldwelshdude:
Now is that for just pure driving? Like 9 or 10 hours DRIVING a day, 56 hours DRIVING a week or 90 hours DRIVING over 2 weeks?

Yes those are for driving hours

oldwelshdude:
Now if I do that from Monday to Friday next week and every week will I be ok as that’s 50 hours a week working? but not pure 100% driving

Yes - at those shift hours your average will be below 48hrs taking into account f the weekend rests

Be aware that you can only work a max of 60hrs per week, work in this case being a sum of all your Driving and other work hours added together minus breaks/POA

You might think that’s a lot of hours to work but in this game you’ll be surprised how it creeps up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information mate. I was told that I will be doing more driving so my driving hours might creep up a bit but I know now.

Do I need to keep a manual log book about my start time before I get to my truck, and also my finish time if it is after I removed my card? And is a notebook or diary ok for this?

oldwelshdude:
Do I need to keep a manual log book about my start time before I get to my truck, and also my finish time if it is after I removed my card? And is a notebook or diary ok for this?

Legally any work done before or after inserting the driver card should be manually put into the tachograph not kept in a notebook, I’ve no idea whether or not the DVSA would accept a written entry in a notebook for work done before or after inserting the driver car but I doubt they would be very impressed.

Failure to “enter the required periods of time onto the driver card by using the manual entry facility provided on the tachograph” could result in a verbal warning if you can convince the DVSA bod that it was a genuine misunderstanding, on the other hand if he doesn’t believe you it could potentially result in a £200 fine.

Well I tried a manual entry this morning to account for the 10 minutes before I inserted my card but I got into a right mess and ended up doing a print out and writing my error on the back.

Nobody at the construction firm is there to show me anything. I was just given the keys this morning and told to get on with it. I’m an agency driver. Maybe I need to watch a few instructional YouTube videos [emoji23]

A lot of drivers don’t bother with manual entries, you should learn to do them when you can but the world won’t fall apart for the sake of a few minutes other work now and then :wink:

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:
A lot of drivers don’t bother with manual entries, you should learn to do them when you can but the world won’t fall apart for the sake of a few minutes other work now and then :wink:

Sent from my mobile.

A lot of company trainers don’t either!

Ours insists that we don’t do any manual entries at all as we are ‘allowed’ 15 mins either side of card being inserted/ejected hence we don’t have to do manual entries to account for this free half hour!!

Personally I think it’s because most of our lot make a mess of manual entries and he’s got to work and do all the letters and sort it

Told him to go forth and I will be doing manual entries as I do now and have done since I started driving. He wasn’t impressed and spouted something about if I get it wrong he will take great pleasure in printing the infringement.

So much for involvement and engagement which seems to be latest buzz at work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only infringement I ever got was because of a bloody manual entry. I don’t do em anymore

Ok I got to work this morning at 7am and inserted my card at 7:06. I did a manual entry for the 5 minutes I did yesterday after I removed my card.

So I changed it to other work and changed the date and time to yesterday.

Then I did a manual entry again for other work for this morning before I inserted my card.

Then accepted the date and time and other work as I was about to do my checks.

Did I do it all correctly today? It’s now almost 9:30 am and I have this now as I’m waiting to be unloaded.

What does the 4h06 mean in the corner? Did I miss putting in my daily rest hours manually this morning, is that why?

Sorry for the lengthy post

oldwelshdude:
Ok I got to work this morning at 7am and inserted my card at 7:06. I did a manual entry for the 5 minutes I did yesterday after I removed my card.

Then I did a manual entry again for other work for this morning before I inserted my card.

Did I do it all correctly today? It’s now almost 9:30 am and I have this now as I’m waiting to be unloaded.

What does the 4h06 mean in the corner? Did I miss putting in my daily rest hours manually this morning, is that why?

Sorry for the lengthy post

The 04:06 means you driven 4hrs 06 minutes of your 90hrs hours in 14 days.

It’s basically there to let you know how many hours driving you done in 2 weeks.

Next week it will add all driving time from this week + next weeks driving time.
You will never go near 90 hrs driving time in your actual job, believe me.

Maybe ROG oder Tachograph can explain it better, but the numbers showing will reset in the 3rd week.

oldwelshdude:

Assuming that you checked that the time between the manual entries was rest it looks like you did it right :smiley:

As Tipperdipper1 said the 04h06 is the fortnightly driving time.

Thanks both of you. Yes I worked out that the 4h06 ment earlier today. Just being paranoid that’s all as this is all new to me. Thanks for your help guys [emoji4]

With regards to the manual entry stuff this morning I think I did it all correct apart from the fact I forgot to add an entry for my rest, like an idiot.

I did a print out at the end of my shift and I cannot see any manual entries, is that how it should be or am I just blind [emoji23]

If I just write my error on the back that should be ok right?

oldwelshdude:
Thanks both of you. Yes I worked out that the 4h06 ment earlier today. Just being paranoid that’s all as this is all new to me. Thanks for your help guys [emoji4]

With regards to the manual entry stuff this morning I think I did it all correct apart from the fact I forgot to add an entry for my rest, like an idiot.

I did a print out at the end of my shift and I cannot see any manual entries, is that how it should be or am I just blind [emoji23]
If you look at the activities list on the printout the manual entry should be just above a dashed line that’s directly above the activities list.

If I just write my error on the back that should be ok right?
Assuming that you’d done 1 hour 36 minutes driving and 7 minutes of other work when you took the picture of of your tachograph this morning you’ve almost certainly done it right and have no error to write about :wink:

Ok on my printout I can see what you are talking about now. But it says other work from 00:00 - 07h06.

So I think I did not add my rest but just added my ow from when I took my card out yesterday and then added ow for when I started this morning before I inserted my card, I hope that makes sense [emoji16].

But surely this will be seen as an error!

So do I need to write on the back of my printout to cover myself?

My transport manager is going to download my card on Monday and I only have 1 printout, but I need to keep one for my records too right?

Do 2 printouts and write an explanation of both of them and sign them, hand one in when you download your driver card and keep one with you in case you get stopped in the next 28 days.

It’s obviously a mistake and no-ones going to condemn you or fine you for it :wink:

When doing manual entries always check that the rest period has been properly recorded as rest and you’ll be fine, now you’ve done it once it will look less confusing in future :slight_smile:

Yes now I know what I did wrong I won’t make the same mistake again [emoji6]

I only did one printout. How can I get another one now?

And how do you do 2 printouts anyway because it only gives you an option to do 1 doesn’t it? Or can you do 1 printout and go back with the arrow and do it again?

That’s ok for future reference but how do I get another printout of an old error?

You can get a printout for any days records that’s still on the driver card.

When your card is in the tachograph and the tachograph is on the standard display press the down arrow and scroll to the driver 1 printout menu, enter the date for the printout you want and press OK.

Alternatively offer your boss a copy of the printout (if he wants one), if you don’t do 2 printouts you should keep the printout with you for the next 28 days then hand it in to the transport office.