Becoming Class 1 driver

Hi guys.

Not to bore anyone.I recently passed my Class 1 license as I am thinking to completely change my field of work.

Unfortunately following forum or seeing other sites etc I have noticed that everyone who is posting or writing about this kind of job is very unhappy. Just wondering if being or becoming lorry driver is such bad idea ? Is this really that bad that everyone one wants to leave ?

Why people do it if they do not like it and constantly telling others how bad the job is ?

Learner driver…

A manager says “Go,” a leader says “Let’s Go” - John Maxwell

It’s sunny outside mate.

99.9% of those that moan about the job were moaning about it last year,the year before that,the year before that and so on…still doing it though :unamused:

xichrisxi:
99.9% of those that moan about the job were moaning about it last year,the year before that,the year before that and so on…still doing it though :unamused:

Thank you. I did noticed that even in my current line of work it is rather blame culture. Unfortunate as much as I like my current job it become to dangerous sometimes and as I like to drive as well I though about class 1 work.

As I live in south I was thinking to try attach my self for martime transport professional drivers program. Which I know many people said is bad idea because of maxed hours, Low wage etc. To be honest my current wage in ambulance service is not any better, and as I have not commercial experience or experience in general I would probably prefer to swallow lower wage and learn something then try to improve.

Learner driver…

If you find your niche, it can be one of the best jobs going. I’m unsociable and like to work nights away from other people. I like the driving and I like the relatively easy ride of it. I like the lack of load interaction, I like going to new places. Even after years, I like driving trucks, the bigger the better. The problem with nights is that if you run into problems, you are on your own.

Would I do anything else?, probably, but I always seem to come back to it. I’ve been working part time as a doorman for the last few months, I enjoy that as it’s something different and I know it’s only temporary. Talk about perks of the job! You would not believe what I’ve been offered over the last few months :wink:

Try it for yourself, find what suits, there’s enough to choose from in the trade. Maybe you will love multi drop? Some people wouldn’t do anything else! We are all individuals, and what is golden to me may be your idea of hell, your idea of hell may be the job I love!

Don’t let the moaning put you off. It’s work, it is a responsibility, it is only natural to complain about it, but it pays the bills doesn’t it? And contrary to our complaints, for what we do it pays well.

A manager says go, a leader says let’s go - John Maxwell

A thief says “gone” - Robert Maxwell

If you go with maritime, reckon on doing 6 months for the experience and then [zb] em, go elsewhere. Use and abuse, because that’s what they will do to you. Their professional driver scheme is ok for the start, but as soon as you feel confident, move on to something better. Stobarts isn’t as bad as is made out :wink:

Maritime near me are [zb]s! The driving assessor was a right [zb] when I went for assessment (to add insult to injury, they even offered me the job!) I told them I wasn’t interested, although somewhat less politely. At which point, the 60+ year old 9 st guy told me I had wasted their time and wanted to meet me for a fight! Lol

I told them to insert their “professional driver scheme” into a non wiped orafice and went to stobarts for 13 months, and do you know what? It was probably the best job I’ve had!

jbaz73:
If you find your niche, it can be one of the best jobs going. I’m unsociable and like to work nights away from other people. I like the driving and I like the relatively easy ride of it. I like the lack of load interaction, I like going to new places. Even after years, I like driving trucks, the bigger the better. The problem with nights is that if you run into problems, you are on your own.

Would I do anything else?, probably, but I always seem to come back to it. I’ve been working part time as a doorman for the last few months, I enjoy that as it’s something different and I know it’s only temporary. Talk about perks of the job! You would not believe what I’ve been offered over the last few months :wink:

Try it for yourself, find what suits, there’s enough to choose from in the trade. Maybe you will love multi drop? Some people wouldn’t do anything else! We are all individuals, and what is golden to me may be your idea of hell, your idea of hell may be the job I love!

Don’t let the moaning put you off. It’s work, it is a responsibility, it is only natural to complain about it, but it pays the bills doesn’t it? And contrary to our complaints, for what we do it pays well.

I must say I am getting to the point when I am becoming unsociable person. I think I have enough interacting with public who have completely no respect for job I am doing. Probably with driving is the same but this what I read and see is much much less as at the end you will go to destination be “abused” and drive off, not like now is 10 times the limit for me.

I also did read few ( many) reviews about maritime and to be honest they not the best. But from the other side I do not think that company hire only 30 people. And In my personal opinion we tend to review only if it is bad but we left out the good things.

Anyway thank you very much for that.

Learner driver…

jbaz73:
If you go with maritime, reckon on doing 6 months for the experience and then [zb] em, go elsewhere. Use and abuse, because that’s what they will do to you. Their professional driver scheme is ok for the start, but as soon as you feel confident, move on to something better. Stobarts isn’t as bad as is made out :wink:

Maritime near me are [zb]s! The driving assessor was a right [zb] when I went for assessment (to add insult to injury, they even offered me the job!) I told them I wasn’t interested, although somewhat less politely. At which point, the 60+ year old 9 st guy told me I had wasted their time and wanted to meet me for a fight! Lol

I told them to insert their “professional driver scheme” into a non wiped orafice and went to stobarts for 13 months, and do you know what? It was probably the best job I’ve had!

I did think about stobart but unfortunately there is no depot for them in Southampton to my knowledge. Not sure how far I will have to drive to work then :slight_smile:

Learner driver…

Southampton? You are in a goldmine dude, lots to choose from. May be a bit of travel for some jobs, but you really should be able to take your pick down there.

jbaz73:
Southampton? You are in a goldmine dude, lots to choose from. May be a bit of travel for some jobs, but you really should be able to take your pick down there.

That is why I though about maritime initially to get experience etc. As everyone else requires min 1 year of proven experience. And see how it is. Frankly my idea of work is container work at least at this point as I would really like just to go somewhere and wait. Probably will get bored very quickly but this is what is in my head now.

Learner driver…

jbaz73:

Maritime near me are [zb]s! The driving assessor was a right [zb] when I went for assessment (to add insult to injury, they even offered me the job!) I told them I wasn’t interested, although somewhat less politely. At which point, the 60+ year old 9 st guy told me I had wasted their time and wanted to meet me for a fight! Lol told me I had wasted their time and wanted to meet me for a fight! Lol

Hahahaha :laughing:

SuperMultiBlue:

Thank you for your helpful 2nd comment in the row. It is much appreciated.

Learner driver…

kalim:

SuperMultiBlue:

Thank you for your helpful 2nd comment in the row. It is much appreciated.

Learner driver…

Quoted someone else not you you

To the op, how do you feel about tramping? If you don’t have to travel to work each day, you can look further afield. It’s not for everyone, just putting the idea out there.

jbaz73:
To the op, how do you feel about tramping? If you don’t have to travel to work each day, you can look further afield. It’s not for everyone, just putting the idea out there.

I did thought about it. But to be honest my other half does not like the idea to much. The problem is that she is also nurse which means she could kill me and revive me after. Which means I could be in the deep ■■■■ for a long time :slight_smile:

Learner driver…

kalim:

jbaz73:
The problem is that she is also nurse which means she could kill me and revive me after. Which means I could be in the deep [zb] for a long time :slight_smile:

LMAO! Good one :smiley:

Point taken, I humbly apologise :imp:

My other half don’t want me tramping either. I won’t do it… unless one of the kids move back home, then all bets are off (not joking either) :sunglasses:

It’s what you make it mate, do you really wanna be parked up in a lay by sweating your ■■■■■■■■ off whilst your Mrs is being shagged by someone else.