Help Needed: Minibus & Trailer

Hi all,

I have tried to look for an answer to my question but I’m unsuccessful so far.

I passed my Category B Licence in 1997 and my Category D Licence in 2016 and I have been offered a job driving a minibus and trailer for an airport travel company on a self employed basis.

What I would like to know is do I need to pass a D1E test to drive the minibus and trailer?

OR can I drive a minibus and trailer up to 750kg legitimately?

I wanted to find out if I needed to shell out for this test or not. Thank you.

Just a quick google on Category D Licence

Category D means you can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).
You can tow a trailer over 750kg on a Category D vehicle.

Good luck with the new job :slight_smile:

The next question should be “Do I need a CPC and Tacho card”

Deffo on the CPC and I dunno about the Tacho.

Category D

You can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg MAM).

Category DE

You can drive D category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

You have passed your D licence so that supercedes any lower category so you B licence.

So you can drive any bus over 8 seats with a trailer weighing no more than 750kg.

You need a DE licence to tow a trailer heavier than 750kg.

As far as I can see from. Gov website.

steviespain:

Category D means you can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Actually, that didn´t sound right to me, so I checked on the Gov web site. They say:
Buses
Category D
You can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg MAM).
Category DE
You can drive D category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

So you´re covered, on a D, with up to 750kg trailer then.

steviespain:

Not quite right steviespain

DE required for trailer over 750kg.

Yes, my bad, sorry. I DID correct it though :slight_smile:

steviespain:
Yes, my bad, sorry. I DID correct it though :slight_smile:

Yep at the same time I was typing my reply. It happens lol

steviespain:

You wouldn’t believe how long it has taken me to try and get an answer to this question this evening. :smiley:

The guy I saw about the job today was adamant that I needed to have D1E on my licence, but i guess as long as the trailer isn’t more than 750kgs it will be fine. I’m guessing the trailer fully loaded with suitcases wouldn’t be more than that so it should be ok.

I have a CPC that is still valid from my (short) time as a bus driver. So I’m hoping that it will be ok and all I need to do is order my digital tacho and I’ll be well away. :sunglasses:

Blacksheep_jo:

steviespain:

You wouldn’t believe how long it has taken me to try and get an answer to this question this evening. :smiley:

The guy I saw about the job today was adamant that I needed to have D1E on my licence, but i guess as long as the trailer isn’t more than 750kgs it will be fine. I’m guessing the trailer fully loaded with suitcases wouldn’t be more than that so it should be ok.

I have a CPC that is still valid from my (short) time as a bus driver. So I’m hoping that it will be ok and all I need to do is order my digital tacho and I’ll be well away. :sunglasses:

D is a higher category than D1 so it supercedes any lower category.

D1E is for a maximum of 16 seat minibus.

He clearly hasn’t got a clue by the sounds of it. A simple check of the gov website explains all.

If you passed your DE then that would also upgrade your D1E entitlement.

Yeah I just thought, well, this guy should know what he’s talking about it’s his business. Rookie mistake there I think. :unamused:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I’ll contact the guy tomorrow and tell him I’ll be fine as long as the trailer isn’t more than 750kg.

Blacksheep_jo:

Find out if you need one first.
Was talking to my course head honcho the other day and he says bus drivers don´t need a tacho as long as they are driving within a 50k radius of base.

If you DO need one…
gov.uk/government/publicati … river-card
I know it says that the form is for existing tachograph holders only, but if you DL it and look at it there is a box you tick for new tachograph.
Or you could order one, linked from the same page, to be delivered to your home. It looks like you´re ordering a pack but you ain´t. Just the one envelope arrives, took about 3 days for mine to plop through
D777B Application for a driver digital tachograph smart card
Is the one you want.

The trailer cannot be more than 750kg PLATED WEIGHT

It looks like this jobs is not a goer. I contacted him today to let him know about the Cat D entitlement but apparently the trailers are more than 750kg MAM. :unamused:

Thanks for your help all! :smiley:

ROG:
The trailer cannot be more than 750kg PLATED WEIGHT

Does that mean that if the trailer has a plated weight of, say, 1500kg, you can´t tow it even if it´s empty?
Genuine question, not trying to be funny.

Does that mean that if the trailer has a plated weight of, say, 1500kg, you can´t tow it even if it´s empty?
Genuine question, not trying to be funny.

Yes.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter.