Tight turn airlines

New driver advice please
Do I need to undo suzies before swinging round ?
Cheers tony

Topcat1522:
New driver advice please
Cheers tony

If you are a proper HGV Man you would know if you take the RED SUZI OFF you are going nowwhere , :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Topcat1522:
New driver advice please
Cheers tony

If you are a proper HGV Man you would know if you take the RED SUZI OFF you are going nowwhere , :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Larry I’m not a experienced hgv driver this why asking but your obviously not either because that’s what the shunt buttons for mate

Well Shunt Buttons didnt exist in my day so I stand corrected, But you see when one gets to 83 years old one can still learn as the old saying goes,Never too old to learn :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well Shunt Buttons didnt exist in my day so I stand corrected, But you see when one gets to 83 years old one can still learn as the old saying goes,Never too old to learn :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

no offence taken first day out tommorow ■■■■■■■■ myself got to do a split couple on a fridge unit and its my first couple since passing test been driving a wagon and drag for a year totaly different to artic as you know
so any tips ueful lol

Topcat1522:

Lawrence Dunbar:

no offence taken first day out tommorow [zb] myself got to do a split couple on a fridge unit and its my first couple since passing test been driving a wagon and drag for a year totaly different to artic as you know
so any tips ueful lol

I fully agree with you, But just stick in and give your best and Im sure you will come out on the winning end,Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Topcat1522:

Lawrence Dunbar:

no offence taken first day out tommorow [zb] myself got to do a split couple on a fridge unit and its my first couple since passing test been driving a wagon and drag for a year totaly different to artic as you know
so any tips ueful lol

I fully agree with you, But just stick in and give your best and Im sure you will come out on the winning end,Regards Larry.

Cheers bud

Wow, it’s another world from the sixties and seventies! I don’t remember any shunt buttons!

Aye mi Lad in my day it was two line air and palm couplings !! Now that will really ■■■■ todays “Star” men up ! Little bit more Eric steady ! Bang on the pin is in, thumbs up ! Bit of saliver ( spit) around the seals and the palms are on ! back into the cab and off ! What ? Double Dutch ! Those were the days ! Hey Possy 'ave we got a “Shunt” button on the Octopus ? “Yes Brother, YOU” :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Topcat1522:
New driver advice please
Cheers tony

Quite possibly the worst forum to post your question in, now you’ve gone and woken up all the day time snoozers, we’ll have to up their medication again now, after I’ve moved you to the Newbie forum of course :smiley:

Topcat1522:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Topcat1522:
New driver advice please
Cheers tony

Larry I’m not a experienced hgv driver this why asking but your obviously not either because that’s what the shunt buttons for mate

Actually not all shunt buttons nowerdays work due to muppets moving trailers and forgetting to put the park brake back on so a lot of companies have had them disabled

You’ve answered your own question dude! The suzies have a fair bit of give in em, I personally wouldn’t pop em unless you’re sure you need to.

lol

:sunglasses:

Also, on a serious note; be careful if you’re heavy with no suzies and the shunt button popped. It can be a bugger for rolling away on you.

Simple answer - no leave them all on.

If tight turn then watch they don’t snag on trailer esp if a curtain as the release handles are like fishing hooks [emoji3]

Also I’d advise putting it in manual mode if auto - they have a habit of trying to change gear at wrong time

Once you’ve completed turn I’d check connections still ok for the minute it takes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:
Simple answer - no leave them all on.

If tight turn then watch they don’t snag on trailer esp if a curtain as the release handles are like fishing hooks [emoji3]

Also I’d advise putting it in manual mode if auto - they have a habit of trying to change gear at wrong time

Once you’ve completed turn I’d check connections still ok for the minute it takes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. I snapped an airline last week screwing round in a tight cash & carry. Bit of a pain in the arse, but if you can (assuming it’s a curtain sider, try and ratchet the front pole a touch more than the rear.

That way the end of the handle/lever should stay tucked out of the way.

Tbf a full artic load at our place only grosses a couple of tons, so we never connect the lines. I’m not the most experienced with airline issues.

I’ve just seen how that reads. Don’t worry, there are no juggernauts thundering along our streets with the airlines off. I should have said, I’m a cun… sorry I mean shunter :blush:

jbaz73:
I’ve just seen how that reads. Don’t worry, there are no juggernauts thundering along our streets with the airlines off. I should have said, I’m a cun… sorry I mean shunter :blush:

wp-like-button.png

I recall Spanish artics having their air lines in a piece of channel hinged at a point underneath the fifth wheel and attached to the trailer as normal.When the truck turns the swivel follows the front of the trailer so no stretched air lines.
When i was a regular on the Felixstowe/Zeebrugge ferries in the 80s I snapped a few air lines doing u turns on the vehicle deck.I asked P and O for permission to reverse up the ramp onto the middle deck.Permission was granted provided I didn’t delay loading.Never had a problem.