Importance of employment history?

To cut a long story short I got depressed and spent a long time unemployed, if I went and got the Cat C lorry driving licence stuff would people be unwilling to hire me? Near gatwick if that makes a difference.

A little bs goes a long way

Google a company that’s gone into administration and use them on your CV [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Yep, was waffling today, on the phone, to a prospective employer about a firm I used to work for 35 years ago. He said he knew them so …jobs a good un.

Depends on the time of year. I’ve found work dries up on the agencies around January-March time, unless you’re already in somewhere that isn’t seasonal.

I’m 30 minutes south of Gatwick and at this time of year, my phone doesn’t stop ringing, offering all kinds of class 2 or class 1 work.

Do you have anyone that could write you references for the previous 5 years, be it a personal reference that isn’t family or maybe job centre related etc ? That should be good enough to get you into the airport - They prefer employer or educational references, but there are ways around it - Assuming you have no criminal record.

Some people get creative with references and just ask mates to say they worked for them etc

I guess it depends how big the gap in employment is, but I wouldn’t say it’s a barrier to work in the area

I have NO work history at all for the past 30 years. I was self employed as a musician.
BEFORE that 30 years I drove wagons, concrete, removals, haulage. But everyone that worked for is either dead or… dead.
When I talk to prospective employers now I tell em where I worked, when I worked, and that the people they need to talk to are, well, dead.
I´ve been offered a load of work so I don´t think it really matters tbh.

OK thanks guys, certainly some intersting suggestions haha. Well sounds there’s an OK chance then, Thanks.

Most work, or lack of, does not impact on getting a driving job.

Enthusiasm and persistence is key.

Get your licence, go knocking on doors and speak to the people in charge. Phoning and emailing is ok but follow this up after a visit, as you are more likely to get a response then.

I don,t think Agencies are that particular Some will make up any BS you need for you ?