I’ve got a new C+E and 15 years experience on Class 2

I can’t get a Class 1 job cos I have no experience but I’ve got 15 years class 2 experience. I’ve applied to over 130 odd online adverts. I’m currently working for a big supermarket chain in Essex hoping that they will give me a start on a class 1.
Has anybody else here had problems trying to find work with a new licence either 1 or 2?
When I passed my Class 2 I was out working in 18t the next day. I never thought I would have this much trouble with a class 1. I passed in January so it’s been 6 months now.

You worked with me at that Transport company where Lidl are, the owner retired to Spain, I think he died out there.

Wheel Nut:
You worked with me at that Transport company where Lidl are, the owner retired to Spain, I think he died out there.

Not me mate

Well I’ve read a few other threads on here about the same problem. Someone said it doesn’t exist but it does. This Industry is storing up some big problems in the future. I wished I’d never bothered to be honest. I did the ADR course in January too but getting on a tanker is never gonna happen. All I can say is what a load of ■■■■■■■■ things are. The agencies are staffed by kids who know nothing about driving. As are the HR depts in companies.

I suggest you re read wheel nuts post and think Bout it ,. Nudge nudge wink wink

johnnymac1965:

Wheel Nut:

Not me mate

Yes, you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you manage 15 years on class 2 ffs :laughing:

Lee1976:

johnnymac1965:

Wheel Nut:

Not me mate

Yes, you did.

Where Lidl are. Which one?

SuperMultiBlue:

I just got on with it. I’ve done all kinds of pallet work, skips, rollonof on demolition firms, Tipper’s, Pharmaceuticals, currently at a supermarket. I wanted to do the class1 for years but never got round to it. When I drove one for the first time I thought it was pretty easy after getting used to it.
I work with lots of lads from Eastern Europe. A lot of these are blagging their way in to jobs via agencies as they can’t verify their experience. Which is what I’m thinking of doing as honesty isn’t getting me anywhere.

syramax:
I suggest you re read wheel nuts post and think Bout it ,. Nudge nudge wink wink

Where can I find that pls mate?

johnnymac1965:

Lee1976:

johnnymac1965:

Wheel Nut:

Not me mate

Yes, you did.

Where Lidl are. Which one?

Right gotcha. It’s the heat :wink:

What kind of work you looking for then?.Tramping or day work?.Djv have a sign outside there yard at Tilbury for class one driver.No idea if they take newbies on though.Our lot certainley do take new drivers on though.Based in Tilbury also.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

daftvader:
What kind of work you looking for then?.Tramping or day work?.Djv have a sign outside there yard at Tilbury for class one driver.No idea if they take newbies on though.Our lot certainley do take new drivers on though.Based in Tilbury also.

I have applied to a few in Tilbury but all wanted 2 years exp. Im looking for day work.

What’s your firm called?

johnnymac1965:

daftvader:

I have applied to a few in Tilbury but all wanted 2 years exp. Im looking for day work.

What’s your firm called?

I work for Downtons for my sins

Just try Stobarts, Downtowns, Keedwell etc. All willing to give “Newbies” a start.

But to be fair with 15 years expierience you’re not so new to the buisness.

I can’t believe nobody is giving you a chance.

Try and print some CV’s off, dress up ready to work (clean T-Shirt, Worktrousers, clean safety boots, pair of gloves), load everything in your car and go round your local industrial estate. Knock some doors and demand to speak to the TM.
Tell him about you, your work life and that you looking for Class 1 work.

Also use Google Maps and search Haulage companies around your area. But go there in person and drop your CV off, fill an application form in etc. Much easier because once you there and show some good will/interest, they can’t fob you off like on the phone.

Also use the search function in the forum and search for “Newbie finding Class 1 work” i.e. other topics like that. There’s enough people on here how found a Class 1 job with zero expierience but good attitude.

Good Luck.

Tipperdipper1:
Just try Stobarts, Downtowns, Keedwell etc. All willing to give “Newbies” a start.

But to be fair with 15 years expierience you’re not so new to the buisness.

I can’t believe nobody is giving you a chance.

Try and print some CV’s off, dress up ready to work (clean T-Shirt, Worktrousers, clean safety boots, pair of gloves), load everything in your car and go round your local industrial estate. Knock some doors and demand to speak to the TM.
Tell him about you, your work life and that you looking for Class 1 work.

Also use Google Maps and search Haulage companies around your area. But go there in person and drop your CV off, fill an application form in etc. Much easier because once you there and show some good will/interest, they can’t fob you off like on the phone.

Also use the search function in the forum and search for “Newbie finding Class 1 work” i.e. other topics like that. There’s enough people on here how found a Class 1 job with zero expierience but good attitude.

Good Luck.

Thanks mate. Yes I’m a bit flummoxed about all this. I would have thought with 15 years in the game a lot of employees would have at least given me a assessment.

Anyway I did get somewhere yesterday with Stobarts! I’ve got an assessment next week.
It’s drop in money but I’ve got to get some experience or I won’t get a job anywhere else. After 6 months of knock backs I’ll give any chance I can get a go.

Stobarts ain’t so bad. I did 13 months with them. Agency though, wouldn’t go on there full time, I always knew I’d be moving on.

I also worked in a large chain supermarket… very good with me for time off to get my license but wouldn’t take me on with a transfer! Did weekend work for agency then eventually left and went for one of the companies I did work for via agency.
Ironic thing is through the haulage company, I do work for the supermarket!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnnymac1965:

syramax:

Where can I find that pls mate?

Second post

SuperMultiBlue:

I did 16 years on class 2[emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk