Jobs for antisocial people?

Hi everyone,

I’m a new class 2 driver in Glasgow. Been working for a removal company for a few weeks now and I need advice.

The thing is I’m an antisocial person. I don’t mind working hard and doing physical jobs. What wears me out the most is dealing with people. The hour in the yard before we leave is hell for me and listening to the porters once we leave makes me want to kill myself. Not their fault, very nice guys, I have a problem.

So, can anybody suggest any job where I have the least contact possible with other people. I don’t care about how ■■■■■■ it may be in other aspects. It’d be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

you could always try NASA for a job as a tramper astronaut,though you would need to accept you might have a bit of travelling and unplanned nights out?

Stobarts, everyone ignores you [emoji23]

Tippers? Make sure you turn the cb off if there is one.

Mortician… They don’t talk back [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:
you could always try NASA for a job as a tramper astronaut,though you would need to accept you might have a bit of travelling and unplanned nights out?

Wheel Nut:

stuwozere1:

This is why I hate people. Everybody seems to want to be a stand up comedian.

Do some night trunking. Trust me you will get all the loneliness you want. No one wants to chat - and no one is usually around to chat. If you are lucky a forklift driver might say hello - but usually, they will just want you gone so they can get back to napping.

Benigno:

dieseldog999:

Wheel Nut:

stuwozere1:

I feel your pain Brother.

Try the agency instead. Put a small stone in one of your work boots for full effect. Guaranteed way of being left alone.

Go for class 1 if you can. I’m Glasgow based and travel to Bathgate for my work. Unless it’s a double man shift then all I see is the planner (if I’m even in at a decent time) and then it’ll be whoever the other end at deliveries. I’m by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benigno:

Try night trunking and wear dark sun glasses and a baseball cap to let people know that you ain’t into small talk. Remember to remove the dark sun glasses when driving at night as it could impair your night vision.

sammym:
Do some night trunking. Trust me you will get all the loneliness you want. No one wants to chat - and no one is usually around to chat. If you are lucky a forklift driver might say hello - but usually, they will just want you gone so they can get back to napping.

If you are lucky you will land a gig that will require a straight trailor swap and no other human interaction other then picking up keys and destination!

Pretty sure the night milk tanker guys don’t get to see much human life!

Benigno:

dieseldog999:

Wheel Nut:

stuwozere1:

You sound like the sort of bloke I’d enjoy going for a pint with. I love waiting times on bays if theirs a clean bog and a coffee machine, paid to do nowt producive, but my god I hate those drivers in waiting rooms who want to be the entertainer of the room and think they have funny, unique and interesting stories about their jobs. Your just another dull driver mate, I do this job cos I hate working with other humans and their boring personalities, get out my ears.

Benigno:
Hi everyone,

I’m a new class 2 driver in Glasgow. Been working for a removal company for a few weeks now and I need advice.

The thing is I’m an antisocial person. I don’t mind working hard and doing physical jobs. What wears me out the most is dealing with people. The hour in the yard before we leave is hell for me and listening to the porters once we leave makes me want to kill myself. Not their fault, very nice guys, I have a problem.

So, can anybody suggest any job where I have the least contact possible with other people. I don’t care about how [zb] it may be in other aspects. It’d be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Don’t do building site deliveries then. Most forklift drivers on them think the world will end if they take a day off and they think they have the hardest job in the world. They ain’t shy in telling you either in my experience. Gets right on my mits. Am only wanting unloaded and outta there asap when i arrive but have to listen to their utter drivel every single day! Oh, and don’t ask them to print their name as well on delivery note as that usually tips a few over the edge and takes even longer to get the ***** to shut up

Thanks for the answers. Glad to see I’m not the only one with this issue…

I work as a doorman on a Friday and Saturday night for extra pennies. Great job for antisocial people (not driving I admit) people just want to get inside yesterday, 99% are not interested in striking up a conversation, the few that are, you have options, you can ignore them, grunt at them or walk off. And it has the added bonus that if you’re having a really antisocial day, you can take it out on some chavvy, mouthy ■■■■■■■■ Win win

Removals is my idea of hell, I don’t think I could go back to a job with a drivers’ mate either. Some of the agency mates that were put with me wanted to talk about the most inane ■■■■■■■■ ever. One was obsessed with his brother and his bouncy castle hire business. This middle aged mate also lived with parents, sister and at least one uncle. Honestly you could talk about any subject but he would end up talking about his family and their ailments and bouncy castles.
Another mate sulked if he couldn’t have Heart FM on the whole time we we were out; I used to turn the faders etc down and pretend the radio was broken. He even complained to management that it needed replacing.

Hi Benigno
This is a shame, innit?

I followed your first thread with interest and was pleased when you got a job after three days of posting on here.
Personally, I wouldn´t have picked removals ´cos it´s too hard work for the pay. But, for a young fella, it´s fine as a start.

Now you´ve found that you don´t like the people you have to work with. Ouch!
Did you have this problem when you worked in the restaurant? 6-7 years there so mebbe not?

I used to dislike that three men in a cab thing too. Some of them were complete ■■■■■■■■■ OTOH some were great blokes and turned into great mates. Is it just one or two people you don´t get on with? Or is it people in general?

The firm you´re with now, removals, they probably have a Transit or Sprinter sized veh that´s used for smaller, one man, jobs. See if you can get on that? Drop in pay though, mebbe.

Once you get out of removals you´ll find that most jobs there is minimal social interaction anyway, and usually with these it´s a quick “sign here” or “Over there, driver”, or “Turn around, hands behind your back click get in the back of the police car”, kind of thing.

Stick it out a bit more, try and be understanding of anyones unfortunate personality, join in with the laughs and jokes.
My one rule in the cab on removals, NO B.O. Hated them smelly ■■■■■■■■■

Find another job before handing your notice in, and don´t be afraid to do it if the job´s doing your head in.

Good luck mate.

steviespain:
Hi Benigno
This is a shame, innit?

I followed your first thread with interest and was pleased when you got a job after three days of posting on here.
Personally, I wouldn´t have picked removals ´cos it´s too hard work for the pay. But, for a young fella, it´s fine as a start.

Now you´ve found that you don´t like the people you have to work with. Ouch!
Did you have this problem when you worked in the restaurant? 6-7 years there so mebbe not?

I used to dislike that three men in a cab thing too. Some of them were complete [zb]. OTOH some were great blokes and turned into great mates. Is it just one or two people you don´t get on with? Or is it people in general?

The firm you´re with now, removals, they probably have a Transit or Sprinter sized veh that´s used for smaller, one man, jobs. See if you can get on that? Drop in pay though, mebbe.

Once you get out of removals you´ll find that most jobs there is minimal social interaction anyway, and usually with these it´s a quick “sign here” or “Over there, driver”, or “Turn around, hands behind your back click get in the back of the police car”, kind of thing.

Stick it out a bit more, try and be understanding of anyones unfortunate personality, join in with the laughs and jokes.
My one rule in the cab on removals, NO B.O. Hated them smelly [zb].

Find another job before handing your notice in, and don´t be afraid to do it if the job´s doing your head in.

Good luck mate.

Hi Steviespain,

Thanks for the answer and for the interest.

I don’t want to give the wrong impression, I’m quite happy I finally changed career and I’m patiently taking this job as another step towards something I’m completely happy with. No rush for this to happen, I think I’ll get there sooner or later. The hardest part is done, so all good.

When I was in hospitality I hated being with other people as well (I hated everything, more precisely). I have always been like this, nothing new. I just struggle to be amused, not a bad person… only a bit of a miserable ■■■■■■■■

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it.

You are absolutely welcome, my friend.

You know, a couple of things really stick out for me here.
One, even in just a few lines of text you come across as a nice guy. In the real world, that counts.
Ok, mebbe a bit anti-social…no, you know what? I don´t think you ARE anti-social, I think you are mebbe not meeting the right people.
Got any hobbies? Find an evening class, meet like minded people. Take the Mrs with you. She might like to be a diesel fitter :smiley:
Walk down the road with a smile on your face, say Good Morning to the postman, Have a bit of craic with the old lady behind the counter at the Post Office. Compliment the cafe owner on the coffee, It´ll work wonders with your outlook on life, trust me. Meet life head on with a cheeky smile on your face.

I was in a band when I was in me 30s, lead guitar. Everyone said “Why do you look so miserable when you´re playing”?
I didn´t know I was, I was just concentrating on the song I´d spent 40 hours learning!
ANyway, that hit home. I then concentrated on playing with a smile, looking at the audience, meeting their eyes.

WOW! What a difference! Within a week or two I was tripping over new friends and, more importantly, groupies :smiley:. I was a lonely, miserable effer once. Not saying you are. though.

Two, you already KNOW why you´re having problems and are trying to address it. Whether this is going to be physically changing jobs, or mentally trying to cope with your problems on the job you have, I´m 100% convinced that you will find a way through.
Smile, be confident, think positive, and ■■■■ em all :slight_smile:

Good luck brother, let us know how you are getting on.