Culina

Hi all I have an up and coming driving assessment for culina Stafford, just wondering if anyone has any advice, hints or tips to offer?

Turn up in presentable clothing… know your tacho stuff… take time checking your unit & trailer & drive like you are back on your test, that’s all you can do! Best of luck mate.

Thank you for the advice, they seem a decent company and for a new pass it’s exactly what I’m looking for

avfcnat82:
Thank you for the advice, they seem a decent company and for a new pass it’s exactly what I’m looking for

If owt else you’ll learn to revers.
The bays up to the pallets.
Get yourself in on line back as far as you need to on the bay then drop forward enough to open your doors then back onto the bay.
Parking on the fence again people tend not to use the space behind them and end up doing lot of little shunts,
If your not straight don’t worry about pulling 3 ft forward go back as far as pos then pull forward getting in line.
If they get you to bay up a trailer keep an eye on ur front end ull be close to parked trailers and units, don’t be afraid of get out and look best be sure than be a knob and hit something.

Culina rules.
Every trailer regardless is SPLIT coupling.
So

1. Check unit noting any damage on relivent paperwork ie run sheet.
  2. Know how to do manual entries on tachograph they want you to use this at start and end of shift.
  3. Picking up trailer: Back up to trailer and stop before you go under.
    Get out do a quick visible walk round has it got 6 wheels that are all round .and that the shunt button is out and the park break is ON . A quick look at the trailer mot and plating certificate open the back door and check it’s either mt or loaded if loaded where the load is going ( you’ll be suppressed how often drivers don’t check)
    More often than not the lazy sods won’t bar the load.
  4. Pick up trailer : drop suspension (merc) you can use the wander lead or buttons on the steering wheel.back under till the trl is over 5th wheel and stop .
    Get out and check your not going to over shoot the pin .
    Raise the suspension lifting the trailer .
    Make sure when your out the cab engine is OFF.
    Check again break connect suzies make sure lights are off at this time as it’s a prime time to blow fuses
    Again always split couple. Which is why ALWAY CHECK THAT BREAK.
    Back under steady and connect, do a 2 gentle pull tug test and do a revers shove just to be sure.
    The next bit is up to you .
    Lights on
    I always do
    Dog clip
    Quick check the jaws have got the pin.
    Park break, (stop here for a second or two just to make sure it’s ok)
    Check load temp and settings, even with an empty trl it’s a good thing to turn the fridge on and let it run whilst doing your walk round.
    Legs
    Checking lights down the side and any damage.
    Fuel in the belly tank
    Check the trailer suspension height adjuster is out ( there’s additional stuff for rear lift trl axels and steering but they’ll tell you all about that later.)
    Number plate
    Check the doors locked.
    Then walk up the other side checking damage and lights etc.
    Turn off fridge if empty.
    Back in the cab adjust ride height of tractor settings.
    The merc’s have a habit of taking time to build up air don’t over Rev it only use 45% throttle some times you’ll need to pop back out and release the trl park break again .

Dropping trailer all in reverse order.

On the drive keep it smooth set the truck into Automatic economy mode
Just watch your speed and mirrors use the CC as much as possible.
And enjoy.

Get the job get your experience it’s a good easy job good pay just ■■■■ in their ways .

nick2008:

avfcnat82:

If owt else you’ll learn to revers.
The bays up to the pallets.
Get yourself in on line back as far as you need to on the bay then drop forward enough to open your doors then back onto the bay.
Parking on the fence again people tend not to use the space behind them and end up doing lot of little shunts,
If your not straight don’t worry about pulling 3 ft forward go back as far as pos then pull forward getting in line.
If they get you to bay up a trailer keep an eye on ur front end ull be close to parked trailers and units, don’t be afraid of get out and look best be sure than be a knob and hit something.

Culina rules.
Every trailer regardless is SPLIT coupling.
So

1. Check unit noting any damage on relivent paperwork ie run sheet.
  2. Know how to do manual entries on tachograph they want you to use this at start and end of shift.
  3. Picking up trailer: Back up to trailer and stop before you go under.
    Get out do a quick visible walk round has it got 6 wheels that are all round .and that the shunt button is out and the park break is ON . A quick look at the trailer mot and plating certificate open the back door and check it’s either mt or loaded if loaded where the load is going ( you’ll be suppressed how often drivers don’t check)
    More often than not the lazy sods won’t bar the load.
  4. Pick up trailer : drop suspension (merc) you can use the wander lead or buttons on the steering wheel.back under till the trl is over 5th wheel and stop .
    Get out and check your not going to over shoot the pin .
    Raise the suspension lifting the trailer .
    Make sure when your out the cab engine is OFF.
    Check again break connect suzies make sure lights are off at this time as it’s a prime time to blow fuses
    Again always split couple. Which is why ALWAY CHECK THAT BREAK.
    Back under steady and connect, do a 2 gentle pull tug test and do a revers shove just to be sure.
    The next bit is up to you .
    Lights on
    I always do
    Dog clip
    Quick check the jaws have got the pin.
    Park break, (stop here for a second or two just to make sure it’s ok)
    Check load temp and settings, even with an empty trl it’s a good thing to turn the fridge on and let it run whilst doing your walk round.
    Legs
    Checking lights down the side and any damage.
    Fuel in the belly tank
    Check the trailer suspension height adjuster is out ( there’s additional stuff for rear lift trl axels and steering but they’ll tell you all about that later.)
    Number plate
    Check the doors locked.
    Then walk up the other side checking damage and lights etc.
    Turn off fridge if empty.
    Back in the cab adjust ride height of tractor settings.
    The merc’s have a habit of taking time to build up air don’t over Rev it only use 45% throttle some times you’ll need to pop back out and release the trl park break again .

Dropping trailer all in reverse order.

On the drive keep it smooth set the truck into Automatic economy mode
Just watch your speed and mirrors use the CC as much as possible.
And enjoy.

Get the job get your experience it’s a good easy job good pay just ■■■■ in their ways .

Wow mate thank you for all that information, very much appreciated,it does sound decent to be fair and I have heard they are a stickler for the rules, which if I’m
Being honest doesn’t bother me one bit, as I’d like to be shown right from the start and in someways I’m going in blind so I don’t know any different, as we all know with training, we are taught how to pass the test not so much as how to drive so to speak, fingers crossed I can get this as I really want this one, do you work for them now?

I work for Great Bear (Culina) out of skem. Decent company, very easy work and decent units. If you get a chance to work for them then go for it.

My assessment drive with them was pretty relaxed; driving assessor went through all the features of the vehicle with me first of all (only driven scanias before and assessment was in a volvo). Quick tour of the yard, hooked up to trailer (after talking him through the checks) 20 minute drive around skem then back to the yard. Uncouple, debrief n go home. Got offered a job 30mins later. Not looked back.

andywilliams1187:
I work for Great Bear (Culina) out of skem. Decent company, very easy work and decent units. If you get a chance to work for them then go for it.

My assessment drive with them was pretty relaxed; driving assessor went through all the features of the vehicle with me first of all (only driven scanias before and assessment was in a volvo). Quick tour of the yard, hooked up to trailer (after talking him through the checks) 20 minute drive around skem then back to the yard. Uncouple, debrief n go home. Got offered a job 30mins later. Not looked back.

Thanks Andy, sounds great, were you a new pass? I was worried about a possible bay reverse letting me down!? As the only reversing I have done was on test, have to say though I’m really looking forward to it, what shift do you do? I was looking at the 5/3 nights, starts from 12pm onwards

Fairly new mate. I started off at stobarts Widnes but only lasted 8 weeks as hated the work. A mate of mine started the same time and left not long after me to come to great bear.

I work a 4 on 4 off and do a days overtime once a week if I can. No handballing and paid week let, averaging around 550 for a 5 day week after tax and Nat ins. I don’t think it’s a bad wage for the work that you do.

Don’t worry about the reversing just take your time. I told the assessor it was my weakest po8nt and he was sound with me.

andywilliams1187:
Fairly new mate. I started off at stobarts Widnes but only lasted 8 weeks as hated the work. A mate of mine started the same time and left not long after me to come to great bear.

I work a 4 on 4 off and do a days overtime once a week if I can. No handballing and paid week let, averaging around 550 for a 5 day week after tax and Nat ins. I don’t think it’s a bad wage for the work that you do.

Don’t worry about the reversing just take your time. I told the assessor it was my weakest po8nt and he was sound with me.

Thanks mate that’s great news, funny enough I just had a call from Tesco Too but there assement is 26th I was honest and said I have one Monday and to be honest if it’s offered I will take it, he said they offer more money but I have a good feeling about culina and think they will be a good fit for me, if I can get in, I really appreciate the help and advice, as I literally don’t know what to expect

Natalie :slight_smile:

avfcnat82:
Wow mate thank you for all that information, very much appreciated,it does sound decent to be fair and I have heard they are a stickler for the rules, which if I’m
Being honest doesn’t bother me one bit, as I’d like to be shown right from the start and in someways I’m going in blind so I don’t know any different, as we all know with training, we are taught how to pass the test not so much as how to drive so to speak, fingers crossed I can get this as I really want this one, do you work for them now?

Yeah in a different depot.
It’ll be all fridge work no tail lifts new fleet of Mercs, the yard is tight but once you get use to it it’s ok.
It does get busy and congested if you need a hand on watching ur blind side always ask a driver.
Just take ur time.
If you get it what shifts you doing ?

You defo made the right call in telling Tesco’s you would probably take the job at culina that’s if you get it of course ( fingers crossed ) it will be more steady for you where as Tesco’s you will be going to a new store everyday and it could all get to much for you being a new pass!! Keep us informed on Monday!!

nick2008:

avfcnat82:

Yeah in a different depot.
It’ll be all fridge work no tail lifts new fleet of Mercs, the yard is tight but once you get use to it it’s ok.
It does get busy and congested if you need a hand on watching ur blind side always ask a driver.
Just take ur time.
If you get it what shifts you doing ?

I might go for the 5/3 nights I think, even though it’s not nights as such, a few people say this is a good shift, I don’t mind all the weekends as I do 4 on 4 off nights now and have always worked Christmas bank holiday etc so I don’t know any difffernt really.

SouthEastCashew:
You defo made the right call in telling Tesco’s you would probably take the job at culina that’s if you get it of course ( fingers crossed ) it will be more steady for you where as Tesco’s you will be going to a new store everyday and it could all get to much for you being a new pass!! Keep us informed on Monday!!

Completely agree with you on this, it’s nice to know I’m getting call backs from my CV and a confidence boost in that department, I think culina will be a good fit for me and hopefully all goes well on Monday, you will be the first to know and I can’t thank you all enough for your help and advice:)

avfcnat82:

SouthEastCashew:

Completely agree with you on this, it’s nice to know I’m getting call backs from my CV and a confidence boost in that department, I think culina will be a good fit for me and hopefully all goes well on Monday, you will be the first to know and I can’t thank you all enough for your help and advice:)

So how did it go ?

nick2008:

avfcnat82:

SouthEastCashew:

So how did it go ?

Hey nick…
Well… on the road test was ok, little bit rusty but gained more confident as the drive went on… it was a much much bigger unit to what I had passed in and I expected that, so was a little nervous… the reverse however was absolutely shocking and I mean shocking, I was pre warned about the yard and how tight it was to back in on the bay, not even much room for shunts to try and get a decent position, first one I almost got it in, 2nd one was a joke, I just couldn’t manage it, problem is as it’s so tight others trying to get in have to sit and wait for me which made it 100X worse and in the end I had to keep moving to let them through, really knocked my confidence to be honest and I got out and thought I can’t do this… assser said I have a lot of potential and need maybe 2/3 weeks training, they are going to give me a call but I’m not sure I will get it to be honest as that reverse really let me down big time, kinda glad I still have Tesco now for another chance!

Also I mean 2/3 weeks for reversing not actual driving! I’m not that bad lol

avfcnat82:

nick2008:

avfcnat82:

SouthEastCashew:

So how did it go ?

Hey nick…
Well… on the road test was ok, little bit rusty but gained more confident as the drive went on… it was a much much bigger unit to what I had passed in and I expected that, so was a little nervous… the reverse however was absolutely shocking and I mean shocking, I was pre warned about the yard and how tight it was to back in on the bay, not even much room for shunts to try and get a decent position, first one I almost got it in, 2nd one was a joke, I just couldn’t manage it, problem is as it’s so tight others trying to get in have to sit and wait for me which made it 100X worse and in the end I had to keep moving to let them through, really knocked my confidence to be honest and I got out and thought I can’t do this… assser said I have a lot of potential and need maybe 2/3 weeks training, they are going to give me a call but I’m not sure I will get it to be honest as that reverse really let me down big time, kinda glad I still have Tesco now for another chance!

Don’t be so harsh on yourself I am sure you done well if the assessor recognised you had potential who knows they may offer you the job and get someone to help you with your reversing for a week or so!! You don’t learn to reverse an artic overnight, trust me it takes time!! & Don’t keep all your eggs in one basket keep applying for jobs!!! Fowler Welch are advertising in Tipton if that is near you…

It’s nothing to send you out with someone for a few weeks I sat in the side seat for 3 months with various candidates

nick2008:
It’s nothing to send you out with someone for a few weeks I sat in the side seat for 3 months with various candidates

Very true nick, he also said you won’t find a yard like this for a very long time, so I guess I shouldn’t be to down, still feel crap though, hopefully they will give me a chance, not convinced though,

It’s a crap set up,ridiculously tight bays and even worse in the dark and rain!

For those that ain’t had the pleasure…

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNyqCcTxDXE

One of our lads had the front of his cab taken off by someone coming off the bay.