Digi tacho easy explanation

Good evening to all who visit this topic.

I passed my Class 2 4 years ago and had 0 job opportunities due to no experience. I changed careers and went i to security and have been looking for driving jobs all the time.

Ive just landed myself a job driving a merc sprinter (i said in my interview i was willing to start at the bottom to gain experience). I got told by the transport manager yesterday my chance on the class 2 would come sooner than i think because the fella he employed 2 weeks back has caused 3 accidents already and he was giving him the sack.

I told him due to no experience i have no clue on tachograph usage and he replied with " i can live with that".

Now i know when i ask he will show me how to do it all but i dont want to be a complete noob and get in one and not be able to drive it.

Ive seen countless videos on youtube of manual entries etc etc but i just cant grasp what they say because half the stuff seems to be endless gibberish that doesnt explain why.

So i want to ask you fine fellas if you can break down a daily routine for tacho usage in a multi drop scenario.

Say a 7am start to to a 5pm finish what the hell do i do with my card?. I know what the symbols mean like rest etc i just want a daily breakdown of it so i can understand the steps on a real job scenario.

Hope i have asked the question clearly enough.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Have you used card at all prior to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcgpx:
Have you used card at all prior to this?

Nope. Not had no class 2 driving what so ever.

I start at 11pm. I insert my car and it asks would I like to do a manual entry with ‘yes’ showing. I press ok.
I then close my last shift. I finished that at 10am but my tacho was removed at 9.38am. My manual entry is this… 9.38-10.00 other work. 10.00-23:00 rest. I must also now input 1 further manual entry. 23.00-23.10 (time to get my unit and insert card etc) other work. I’m then asked if I would like to confirm manual entry. I select ‘yes’.

It then sets itself to other work. When I move it auto changes to drive, when I again stop it auto changes to other work. You use driver slot 1, when you want to have a break, or use POA, or switch from either of these back to other work, just press the number 1.

Hope this helps

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

When I get home, about 15 min , I’ll do a typical day I used to do in multidrop step by step then it might help you get an idea of what to do

stuwozere1:
I start at 11pm. I insert my car and it asks would I like to do a manual entry with ‘yes’ showing. I press ok.
I then close my last shift. I finished that at 10am but my tacho was removed at 9.38am. My manual entry is this… 9.38-10.00 other work. 10.00-23:00 rest. I must also now input 1 further manual entry. 23.00-23.10 (time to get my unit and insert card etc) other work. I’m then asked if I would like to confirm manual entry. I select ‘yes’.

It then sets itself to other work. When I move it auto changes to drive, when I again stop it auto changes to other work. You use driver slot 1, when you want to have a break, or use POA, or switch from either of these back to other work, just press the number 1.

Hope this helps

Right i think im getting there so say it get in the yard at 6.45am i climb into the truck and insert my tacho. It asks me for a manual entry i select yes. I then put in the date and time and select other work while i do my vehicle checks and check my load etc. And when i start driving it will auto go into driving?.

How do i tell the tacho that i have stopped drivng and want to do other work ie unload?.

Another question when i want to.remove my card do i do a manual entry and select rest before pressing the eject button?.

And say ive drove a friday and come into work monday morning. Do i do an entry from my finish time friday to monday morning as rest?.

I think im.getting there.

dcgpx:
When I get home, about 15 min , I’ll do a typical day I used to do in multidrop step by step then it might help you get an idea of what to do

That would be great cos then id get an understanding of why and what entries you are putting in.

Jonbones89:

stuwozere1:

Hope this helps

Right i think im getting there so say it get in the yard at 6.45am i climb into the truck and insert my tacho. It asks me for a manual entry i select yes. I then put in the date and time and select other work while i do my vehicle checks and check my load etc. And when i start driving it will auto go into driving?.

How do i tell the tacho that i have stopped drivng and want to do other work ie unload?.

Another question when i want to.remove my card do i do a manual entry and select rest before pressing the eject button?.

And say ive drove a friday and come into work monday morning. Do i do an entry from my finish time friday to monday morning as rest?.

It will auto change to other work when you stop. If it doesn’t just press 1 to switch between modes.
You don’t need to put it on break/rest before you eject it as it should be sat in other work as you’re stationary.
If you start at 6.45 but get your wagon at say 6.50, manual entry for precious shift/rest period/then 5 mins other work. It will then remain in other work until you move.

Finishing on Friday and starting on Monday is a manual entry for end of last shift/rest period/start of current shift (other work).

If you’ve not used a tacho before, or driven a class 2 before, I’d worry about manual entries a little later on tbh.

stuwozere1:

Jonbones89:

stuwozere1:

Hope this helps

It will auto change to other work when you stop. If it doesn’t just press 1 to switch between modes.
You don’t need to put it on break/rest before you eject it as it should be sat in other work as you’re stationary.
If you start at 6.45 but get your wagon at say 6.50, manual entry for precious shift/rest period/then 5 mins other work. It will then remain in other work until you move.

Finishing on Friday and starting on Monday is a manual entry for end of last shift/rest period/start of current shift (other work).

Right i understand. So say i finish my shift i stop the catd should switch from driving automatically?. So i can just eject once ive got my gear out the cab?. Then the next day make sure i do an entry to say ive rested overnight to the following morming. Then another entry as other work while im.out the cab checking for defects etc and once im happy i can drive because it will change but if it doesnt just press 1 to cycle to the correct mode?.

So basicially its a case of always checking to see if its in the correct mode?.

I feel like such a douche but i have to start somewhere.

Ok a typical day I used to do ( I’ll base round your 0700 start)

Turn up at yard 0700, in office get paperwork, keys etc ask about any drop issues they might know about !

Get to truck say 0720

Card in slot 1 - Tacho will ask for manual entry ( will default to yes ) so simply press ok

Do manual entry from 0700 - 0720 as other work

When confirmed entry make sure tacho is on OW as sometimes they stay on rest

Now do check etc and everything else you need to do before setting off, tacho will remain on OW

Now when you set off it will automatically change to driving and when you stop will go back to OW. This includes any stop where wheels aren’t turning so don’t be surprised if you look up if stopped at lights and it’s on OW that’s normal

Ok so get to first drop say 0900. As you’ve stopped to unload tacho will automatically go to OW so you can unload without having to do anything to tacho.

Now the caveat - Depending on truck set up, some but not all , if you turn off ignition the tacho may go to POA or Rest.

If yours does this then at each delivery point you’ll need to put it back onto OW!

So carry on to next delivery and tacho will automatically record driving / OW as you go along

Now what I used to do was work till about 11am then have a break for 15 min

Simply park up and put it on break by pressing No 1 button till rest symbol comes up.

I use to do this for 2 reason at about this time

1 - it resets 6hrs WTD rule so I’ve got another 6hrs from when my rest ends to needing another break

2 - by time I’ve hit 4.5hrs driving I’m only going to need a 30 min break and on multi it’s usually was around 1-2pm so I’ve also missed standard dinner tome and it’s easier to find somewhere to park up!

Basically carry on like that till finish say you get back to yard 16:45.

Press No 1 till rest symbol then press No 1 button again but keep pressed as this tell tacho to eject card

It will normally ask if you want a daily printout say no then it will ask End Country, this should already show UK. If not press up/ down till it does

Then press ok to confirm. Card will now eject- takes a few mins as it writes stuff onto card

Take card drop keys etc into office - go home!

Next morning same thing except when you put card in and it asks for manual every say yes again but this time make a manual entry for previous day from 16:45 to 1700 as OW then from 1700 till 0700 as Rest and tome from when card was inserted to time now as OW

Confirm and your ready to start another day of same …

I can’t explain how to actually do manual entry as it’s different depending on model your trucks fitted with but once someone shows you you’ll be ok and GET someone to show you as if you mess up you’ll get infringement. Tacho manual entries are all or nothing you don’t get a redo if it’s wrong !

Keep an eye on driving times and WTD. On multi WTD can easily be forgotten about in an afternoon and you’ll get an infringement

Hope this sort of helps and doesn’t muddy waters .

Once you’ve done it it’s click into place.

Easier to talk it through than type it so if someone is going to show you then you’ll be ok.

dcgpx:
Ok a typical day I used to do ( I’ll base round your 0700 start)

Turn up at yard 0700, in office get paperwork, keys etc ask about any drop issues they might know about !

Get to truck say 0720

Card in slot 1 - Tacho will ask for manual entry ( will default to yes ) so simply press ok

Do manual entry from 0700 - 0720 as other work

When confirmed entry make sure tacho is on OW as sometimes they stay on rest

Now do check etc and everything else you need to do before setting off, tacho will remain on OW

Now when you set off it will automatically change to driving and when you stop will go back to OW. This includes any stop where wheels aren’t turning so don’t be surprised if you look up if stopped at lights and it’s on OW that’s normal

Ok so get to first drop say 0900. As you’ve stopped to unload tacho will automatically go to OW so you can unload without having to do anything to tacho.

Now the caveat - Depending on truck set up, some but not all , if you turn off ignition the tacho may go to POA or Rest.

If yours does this then at each delivery point you’ll need to put it back onto OW!

So carry on to next delivery and tacho will automatically record driving / OW as you go along

Now what I used to do was work till about 11am then have a break for 15 min

Simply park up and put it on break by pressing No 1 button till rest symbol comes up.

I use to do this for 2 reason at about this time

1 - it resets 6hrs WTD rule so I’ve got another 6hrs from when my rest ends to needing another break

2 - by time I’ve hit 4.5hrs driving I’m only going to need a 30 min break and on multi it’s usually was around 1-2pm so I’ve also missed standard dinner tome and it’s easier to find somewhere to park up!

Basically carry on like that till finish say you get back to yard 16:45.

Press No 1 till rest symbol then press No 1 button again but keep pressed as this tell tacho to eject card

It will normally ask if you want a daily printout say no then it will ask End Country, this should already show UK. If not press up/ down till it does

Then press ok to confirm. Card will now eject- takes a few mins as it writes stuff onto card

Take card drop keys etc into office - go home!

Next morning same thing except when you put card in and it asks for manual every say yes again but this time make a manual entry for previous day from 16:45 to 1700 as OW then from 1700 till 0700 as Rest and tome from when card was inserted to time now as OW

Confirm and your ready to start another day of same …

I can’t explain how to actually do manual entry as it’s different depending on model your trucks fitted with but once someone shows you you’ll be ok and GET someone to show you as if you mess up you’ll get infringement. Tacho manual entries are all or nothing you don’t get a redo if it’s wrong !

Keep an eye on driving times and WTD. On multi WTD can easily be forgotten about in an afternoon and you’ll get an infringement

Hope this sort of helps and doesn’t muddy waters .

Once you’ve done it it’s click into place.

Easier to talk it through than type it so if someone is going to show you then you’ll be ok.

Thank you very much for this. Im sure it will click into place once i have done it. I had a quock look the other day in a class 2 and they use the siemens units. I now have a general idea and can ask more questions when i do get shown what is what. I tried asking a driver in my old security job before my work notice ended but he was driving a wagon with an analogue tacho so he couldnt walk me through any process. Im just going to speak to my manager on monday when ive finished if he can show me round and give me a run down. He knows ive not done it and ive been honest about not doing it so he should be fine with that.

I always add 5mins to the end of my shift when I put my card back in. That counts for me walking to the clock machine

Jonbones89:
Im sure it will click into place once i have done it.

Jonbones89:
Im just going to speak to my manager on monday when ive finished if he can show me round and give me a run down. He knows ive not done it and ive been honest about not doing it so he should be fine with that.

Perfect.
Asking here and now will set yourself up right. Ask again on the job and youll be fine. You will make mistakes of course, but you wont get put up against a wall and shot! :smiley:
A tacho error is normally recognisable as such. Entering the wrong mode, failing to enter ten minutes of work by omitting a manual entry is different than a disregard of the rules, and won`t worry anyone.
Enjoy your first day!

Just another question what period does the driving times work under. For example
Lets say i got a run out on monday done my tacho and worked the day. What happens if the only chance i get to drive again is a month later do i need to remember the exact date and time i last drove a class 2? And put all that period as rest.?

I’d put the period from your last drive as a question mark [?]

stuwozere1:

Thanks should i get a printout frim each drive until lets say i know im in them daily?.

No need

stuwozere1:

Why ?
Do you not know what you did since ejecting your card ?

Dav1d:

stuwozere1:

Why ?
Do you not know what you did since ejecting your card ?

I would struggle remembering the time i finished work or stopped driving if a month had passed.