Reduced daily rest

I’ve looked on the forum and found lots of info but I’m still struggling with the above.

I understand that anything over 13 hours is a reduction and that the 11 hours daily rest has to be in the 24 hours of the shift start for it to count and also that the reductions are counted between weekly rest periods but I still can’t grasp it.

I’ll stick my hours below and hopefully someone will say something that will kick my brain into gear.

Sunday 07:00-17:15 = 10h 15m
Monday 06:00-19:45 = 13h 45m
Tuesday 06:00-16:45 = 10h 45m
Wednesday 07:00-20:05 = 13h 5m

Obviously I have two 13h+ shifts which counts as two reductions but I also have a period of rest between Monday and Tuesday that is less than 11 hours, so does that equal another reduction? I work four on four off so I don’t need to bother about previous shifts or shifts after because reductions are only counted between weekly rest and not per week, is that correct?

lee172:
I’ve looked on the forum and found lots of info but I’m still struggling with the above.

I understand that anything over 13 hours is a reduction and that the 11 hours daily rest has to be in the 24 hours of the shift start for it to count and also that the reductions are counted between weekly rest periods but I still can’t grasp it.

I’ll stick my hours below and hopefully someone will say something that will kick my brain into gear.

Sunday 07:00-17:15 = 10h 15m
Monday 06:00-19:45 = 13h 45m
Tuesday 06:00-16:45 = 10h 45m
Wednesday 07:00-20:05 = 13h 5m

Obviously I have two 13h+ shifts which counts as two reductions but I also have a period of rest between Monday and Tuesday that is less than 11 hours, so does that equal another reduction? I work four on four off so I don’t need to bother about previous shifts or shifts after because reductions are only counted between weekly rest and not per week, is that correct?

The only thing that counts as a reduced daily rest period is a daily rest period of less than 11 hours within the period of 24 hours or between shifts.

The only reason a shift of more than 13 hours equals a reduced daily rest period is because it stops you having a rest period of 11 hours in the period of 24 hours.

The fact that you did a shift of 13 hours 45 minutes on Monday is not in itself a reduced daily rest period, the fact that it stops you having an 11 hour rest period is what makes it a reduced daily rest period.

Forget about the length of the shift and calculate the length of the rest period, the only thing that decides whether a daily rest period is reduced or not is the length of the rest period from the end of the shift to: either the start of the next shift or the end of the period of 24 hours, whichever comes first.

The rest between Monday and Tuesday was 10 hours 15 minutes so it’s 1 reduced daily rest period.
You did not work on Thursday so the amount of rest is calculated from the end of the shift to the end of the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift.
So the rest for Wednesday starts at 20:05 and ends at 07:00 Thursday (the end of the 24 hour period), that’s 10 hours 55 minutes, so that’s a second reduced daily rest period.

Those are the only reduced daily rest periods you’ve had.

A reduced daily rest period is a rest period of less than 11 hours either:

• Between shifts or
  • Within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift.

I hope that makes sense :smiley:

Sent from my mobile.

Tachograph does this stuff best. What helped me was forgetting about ‘days’ and treat each shift as a 24 hour block that starts when you begin your shift and can be reset once your reduced or normal daily rest is complete after your shift, but you must complete your rest in the initial block/24 hour period.

Don’t worry though the best way to learn them is to live them, by trial and error we get there in the end.
Keep asking questions it helps us all… :wink:

[Right that’s me monthly clean post done now I can get back to the smutty stuff.]

Cheers fella’s, that’s helped a lot :sunglasses:

i got my first infringement in about 3 years last friday,when i was on the way back from the IW.i won’t bore you all with the details of my weekly working hours,but i had a message come up on the dash ‘Rest Periode Required’ (yes,period had an ‘e’,attached).never seen that flash up before!
my question is,Tachograph…if i get that flash up again,how long before my hours are up? 15 minutes? or immediately?
as it was,i stopped for half hour break,then headed the short distance to our yard…and infringed :frowning:

carryfast-yeti:
i got my first infringement in about 3 years last friday,when i was on the way back from the IW.i won’t bore you all with the details of my weekly working hours,but i had a message come up on the dash ‘Rest Periode Required’ (yes,period had an ‘e’,attached).never seen that flash up before!
my question is,Tachograph…if i get that flash up again,how long before my hours are up? 15 minutes? or immediately?
as it was,i stopped for half hour break,then headed the short distance to our yard…and infringed :frowning:

I’ve no idea, I can’t find any information about it.

carryfast-yeti:

I don’t think that message has anything to with driving/working hours earlier in the week. I suspect it’s just a warning that your 4.5 hour drive time is up. If you had taken a 45 minute break instead of only 30 minutes you would not have got that particular infringement. Digital tachos give an advance warning at 4hr15, then again if you actually reach 4hr30. A quick look at a printout for that particular day will confirm.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

carryfast-yeti:

I don’t think that message has anything to with driving/working hours earlier in the week. I suspect it’s just a warning that your 4.5 hour drive time is up. If you had taken a 45 minute break instead of only 30 minutes you would not have got that particular infringement. Digital tachos give an advance warning at 4hr15, then again if you actually reach 4hr30. A quick look at a printout for that particular day will confirm.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

no mate…4.5 flashes up differently.all hours/breaks all in order for that day :neutral_face:

OK - in that case you will indeed have to look at earlier shifts to see exactly what hours you had driven/worked up until the warning flashed up. Only then will you know if the warning came 15 minutes before the infringement...

I’m guessing you were in a Daf?

I had the same warning, reason being I fluffed up a manual entry which meant I’d input ‘other work’ instead of ‘daily rest’, hence it thought I needed a daily rest.

Might be best to post your weekly hours? Unless you messed up a manual entry too, it looks like something is genuinely wrong.

yes,a Daf. the office say i should have had an 11 hr rest period thursday night :neutral_face:
i’ll take it on the chin this time…if i get that warning message again,i’ll just park it up for the night .