Class 2 New Pass - New Career

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking here for a while now and found loads of useful tips, so I wanted to sign up and say thanks :smiley:

After 15 years of working in the IT industry I did my class 2 practical training last week and passed my mod 3 and mod 4 tests on Friday :sunglasses: I’ve got my tacho already and I’m just waiting for my driver CPC card and my license to come back now.

Have you got any tips on how to update my CV to try and sell myself a bit to hopefully get my first driving job a bit easier? Do you even bother with a CV or do you just go asking around local companies?

Can you recommend any places local to me that may consider taking on new passes? Anything around the Swadlincote, Burton on Trent, Tamworth area would be ideal.

Thanks very much!

Ash

Brakes @ Tamworth will take on new pass drivers,but of graft is part of the job just that’s why they pay £32k a year…
jobtrain.co.uk/brakesgroup/ … jobid=7579

Well done Ash :slight_smile:

I too left a 20 year career in IT behind to drive.

I spent the first 10 years as a field engineer and loved the driving so making the switch wasn’t a big shock.

I done my class 2 last year and went on to do my class 1 2 weeks later. I’m now full time on class 1 and loving it.

You will notice though that not many companies are interested in your CV. You will be lost in a pile of paperwork on some HR dudes desk.

Get out to local operators in your area with a hi vis vest and boots and badger them for an assessment drive.
There are also agencies that will find you work but don’ let them take this ■■■■!!

Good luck mate, you’ll be fine :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

EXACTLY what Rabb said [emoji106]

And congratulations, any plans to become Class 1?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thanks very much all. I’m off shopping at the weekend to buy some safety boots and a hi-vis etc so I’m all set.

Definitely planning to do my class 1, I’m just gonna take a bit of time to gain a bit of class 2 experience and more importantly save up first :smiley:

ash_eaton:
Thanks very much all. I’m off shopping at the weekend to buy some safety boots and a hi-vis etc so I’m all set.

Definitely planning to do my class 1, I’m just gonna take a bit of time to gain a bit of class 2 experience and more importantly save up first :smiley:

If you’ve got the funds mate then crack on with the class 1 ASAP whilst your head is still in “learning mode”. That’s what I done and flew through the class 1.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks Rabb, sounds like good advice

You’ll find Class 1 is easier work as well, rather than multi-drop tail lift work

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

:smiley: :smiley:

Well done on passing!

My days in IT are numbered too, 20 yrs+ thankless task and almost all jobs going offshore as cheap labour

Done me H/LGV medical, theories, just practical to book. I’m Bristol / SW based so there seems to be plenty of opportunities…just itching to get on the road.

Good luck.

Thanks all.

Good luck to you too Munro19!

Get on & do your class 1 as soon as you can if money allows because the majority of class 2 stuff can be proper hard work!!!

Welcome to the club. I drive for Brakes out of Tamworth. They took me on as a new pass last November.

On a big recruitment drive atm as they’ve just put us up to 32k pa.

Yes its hard work, bloody murder at times in this heat! But i quite enjoy it. Found the other drivers to be good lads, helpful when asked. Don’t think its a bad place to start. Gotta be one of if not the best paying class 2 work in the area i would think now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks IronEddie.

I’ve just applied now so fingers crossed!

I know its going to be hard work, but I’m quite looking forward to it to be honest. Will make a nice change from being stuck behind a desk all the time :smiley:

Do you load before you go out or is truck ready to go? I suppose some places are easier than others to deliver to etc?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

pbc453:
Do you load before you go out or is truck ready to go? I suppose some places are easier than others to deliver to etc?

If you’re asking about brakes the trucks are loaded for you. Do dekit them on return though.

IronEddie:

pbc453:

If you’re asking about brakes the trucks are loaded for you. Do dekit them on return though.

Yeah it was brakes… Should have said, do you pick orders at location or drop pre picked cages?? Thanks

pbc453:

IronEddie:

pbc453:

Yeah it was brakes… Should have said, do you pick orders at location or drop pre picked cages?? Thanks

Both depending on which side of the business you drive on. Logistics its all pre picked on cages and pallets. Foodservice you pick each order at the site.

Oh ok… Makes sense really.
48hr a week? I’m in Kent, they’re not advertising round here at the moment.
Passed class 2 a couple of weeks ago.

pbc453:
Oh ok… Makes sense really.
48hr a week? I’m in Kent, they’re not advertising round here at the moment.
Passed class 2 a couple of weeks ago.

My current contract is 48. Do more most weeks.