A couple of doubts about the tacho

Hi everyone,

I worked somewhere last week driving a 7.5t with a digital tachograph. By the end of the shift I wast told I also had to fill out a tacho disc and keep it with me. I don’t know if I have been doing it wrong or if this is only a one off for this company in particular. In the same place, they told me I have to fill out a disc for the days I’m off as well with “rest day” on them… Is this right?

I have also driven a couple of smaller 3.5t vans. One had a analog tachograph but the other one didn’t, is it not mandatory for commercial vehicles to have one, independently of their size?

Thanks.

Anything which is recorded on the digitacho doesnt need to be recorded elsewhere. Infact doing so might run you into problems technically esp if they weren’t identical.

No you don’t need to fill them out as rest day either.

Only certain vehicles require a tacho, usually 7.5T and above bit some smaller vans have them, depends on specifics of use.

The idea of completing a chart when you’ve used a digital tachograph is a bit weird, I’ve never heard that one before and it’s certainly not a legal requirement.

In weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you are required by the DVSA to keep records of any other work done since your last weekly rest period, these records should be kept on charts or printouts, though it seems the DVSA will accept records in a diary or notebook.

Sent from my mobile.

Pretty sure co-op make you keep 28 days of written records.
Not required as VOSA will just check your tacho but some firms think the more paperwork the better.

Anything 3.5t or above requires a tacho. I always take print out when I’ve driven. Never been asked to fill in an analogue as well, it’s one or the other.