Initial Class 2 assessment

Greetings all, I’m currently in the process of working towards my Class 2 licence via the local Job Centre and one of the things that myself and my fellow students were told this week is that the HGV training company will give us a date for a 20 min assessment prior to actually doing any HGV training.

What actually happens at these assessments please?

If you mean the HGV training company by name, then good luck! They are not trainers. They are brokers who will use the cheapest trainer they can find.

However, hoping that it is a “real” training company, 20 minutes is too short to arrive at a proper outcome of an assessment. You might just get an indication after around 40 minutes.

So I really don’t know what advice to give. Presumably this is all funded, so you have nothing to loose. I would expect to have to produce a valid provisional licence but I would like to know what a 20 minute assessment looks like. For me, I spend best part of 10 minutes in the vehicle before we move, another 15 minutes demonstration and commentary drive followed by around 40 minutes of drive from the candidate.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ajax103:
Greetings all, I’m currently in the process of working towards my Class 2 licence via the local Job Centre and one of the things that myself and my fellow students were told this week is that the HGV training company will give us a date for a 20 min assessment prior to actually doing any HGV training.

Hi ajax103.
If you don´t mind me asking…is this fully funded by your Job Centre?
The guy at mine, literally, laughed at me when I asked about a cat C+E. ■■■■■■■ (Him, not you :smiley: )

Guess what … you have just stumbled upon a forum where a fair few people have paid considerable money to actually pay for their own licences.

They may have even asked the job centre for help, to be told no.

Ask the job centre what an assessment entails.

steviespain:

ajax103:

Hi ajax103.
The guy at mine, literally, laughed at me when I asked about a cat C+E. [zb] (Him, not you :smiley: )

If you are asking about c and e I’m assuming that you have c already? If so they will view you as skilled and not be interested

It is fully funded by the Job Centre although in order for the funding to come though I have to complete a number of courses first.

It’s for my Class 2 licence otherwise known as Class C and the training school being used is CRH in West Bromwich.

It does seem short to be just 20 mins but that’s what we got told!

kcrussell25:

steviespain:

ajax103:

Hi ajax103.
The guy at mine, literally, laughed at me when I asked about a cat C+E. [zb] (Him, not you :smiley: )

If you are asking about c and e I’m assuming that you have c already? If so they will view you as skilled and not be interested

Fair enough. Thanks :slight_smile:

Ok ajax, thanks for the info. Good luck, bud.

Thank you, I’m not expecting it to be a walk in the park nor find it easy to just find a job however with reading the helpful guide on this site and by reading on what others have asked or done I’m sure that by Christmas I will be driving again :smiley:

Off topic I know but does anyone have any tips for the hazard perception part of the theory test?