When is driving classed as your main job?

Hi all

I have been working for a compny for the past six weeks delivering and installing sheds and other wooden garden products using 3.5t and 7,5t truck. This week i have been driving the 7.5T all week. The company i am working for doesn’t have a transport manager. I have been using my digi driver card in the tacho and have been following the rules for drivers hours, Taking breaks when needed. Can anyone tell me how many hours a week you would need to drive for it to be classed as your main job, can’t find info anywhere.

should i be making a log of my driving/work hours when not using the Lorry as there will be some gaps in my driving history when i swap to the 3.5t truck

Should my driving hours be recorded/ Uploaded to vosa every so often so there is a history of my driving.

Any info greatfully reciecved

If you’re getting paid to drive then you are a driver,whether that’s 1 hours or 60

simbow:
Hi all

I have been working for a compny for the past six weeks delivering and installing sheds and other wooden garden products using 3.5t and 7,5t truck. This week i have been driving the 7.5T all week. The company i am working for doesn’t have a transport manager. I have been using my digi driver card in the tacho and have been following the rules for drivers hours, Taking breaks when needed. Can anyone tell me how many hours a week you would need to drive for it to be classed as your main job, can’t find info anywhere.

should i be making a log of my driving/work hours when not using the Lorry as there will be some gaps in my driving history when i swap to the 3.5t truck

Should my driving hours be recorded/ Uploaded to vosa every so often so there is a history of my driving.

It’s all hire and reward, (don’t think your working for free) so it’s drivers hours with other work I.e, drive one hour you could work for five hours then you need a break

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colinaki:

simbow:
Hi all

It’s all hire and reward, (don’t think your working for free) so it’s drivers hours with other work I.e, drive one hour you could work for five hours then you need a break

so does that mean i need drivers CPC as i will be classed as a drive?
I have spoken to one other guy who also drives a 7.% for the same company and hes been told by VOSA that he doesn’t need driver cpc as driving is not his main job.

simbow:

Whether driving is your main job or not has nothing to do with the drivers hours and tachograph rules, if you’re driving in-scope of EU regulations you should to comply with the EU regulations.

simbow:

In any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you should keep a record of work done on none HGV driving days, these records should go back to your last weekly rest period.

simbow:

The data from your driver card does not have to be uploaded to the DVSA but it does have to be downloaded to your companies computer so it can be analysed.

simbow:
I have spoken to one other guy who also drives a 7.% for the same company and hes been told by VOSA that he doesn’t need driver cpc as driving is not his main job.

Do you sometimes deliver good that you do not install or work on or do you only carry the goods that you’re going to install ?

tachograph:

simbow:

Do you sometimes deliver good that you do not install or work on or do you only carry the goods that you’re going to install ?

Sometimes it is supply only

simbow:

colinaki:

simbow:
Hi all

From my understanding if driving is a regular part of your employment then yes but only if vehicles are tachometer not white vans but don’t quote me

From GV262

The following table contains a list of vehicles or uses that are exempt from the EU rules regardless of where the vehicle is driven within the EU

Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that are used for carrying materials, equipment or machinery for the driver’s use in the course of their work and which are used only within a 100 km radius from the base of the undertaking and on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s main activity.
This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians or builders carrying tools or materials for their own use.

If you only load up sheds etc then drive no more than 100km radius of base in a 7.5 tonner then spend time erecting the sheds etc you are exempt EU regs and driver CPC
That being the case I would still use digicard but select - out of scope

simbow:

tachograph:

simbow:

If you’re sometimes delivering goods in a HGV vehicle and you’re not installing or working on those goods the DCPC is required.

ROG:
From GV262

The following table contains a list of vehicles or uses that are exempt from the EU rules regardless of where the vehicle is driven within the EU

Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that are used for carrying materials, equipment or machinery for the driver’s use in the course of their work and which are used only within a 100 km radius from the base of the undertaking and on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s main activity.
This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians or builders carrying tools or materials for their own use.

If you only load up sheds etc then drive no more than 100km radius of base in a 7.5 tonner then spend time erecting the sheds etc you are exempt EU regs and driver CPC

Thank you, I have travelled more than 100km only just though (112) from base. Assuming base is classed as the depot i usually work from

ROG:
From GV262

I’m not convinced that delivering a shed (even if the driver assembles it on site) is really just “carrying materials equipment or machinery for use in his work.”
The job would appear to be that of a delivery driver who also installs the product being delivered.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

ROG:
From GV262

I’m not convinced that delivering a shed (even if the driver assembles it on site) is really just “carrying materials equipment or machinery for use in his work.”
The job would appear to be that of a delivery driver who also installs the product being delivered.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Not sure who to talk to to get the answers, as the products being delivered/Installed are for reward

sounds to me that youre in scope of all the regs, both dcpc and eu hours.

simbow:
I have travelled more than 100km only just though (112) from base

Is that more than 100km in a straight line from base :question:

All commercial products are for H&W but what matters here is what is being done with those products in regards to LGV driving

What is a typical day for you :question:

simbow:

tachograph:

simbow:

As you’re delivering goods in a HGV vehicle solely for the purpose of supplying those goods to a customer you are not exempt from the Driver CPC.

As far as the EU regulations are concerned I’d say driving to deliver the sheds is your main job but I could be wrong, phone or email the DVSA and get the answer straight from the horses mouth :wink:

Drivers’ hours and tachograph enquiries

ROG:

simbow:
I have travelled more than 100km only just though (112) from base

Is that more than 100km in a straight line from base :question:

Yes, Ipswich to Milton Keynes

ROG:
What is a typical day for you :question:

Typical day is load vehicle with sheds and other garden products, install some sheds,deliver some sheds deliver other garden products, at the moment seems like more delivery than installation