18 year old truck insurance? HEADACHE! Please help!

Hello, I am 18 and I passed my class 2 HGV about 6 months ago. However I can’t use my licence because of insurance!!! I work for my dad’s removal company and I jusy can’t find insurance. We have a 12 tonne Merc Atego and drag, 2x 7.5t Merc Ategos and a 7.5t Merc 814. I can’t get insurance on any of them. Not even for 3.5t luton sprinter! One quote was £58,000 for a year! I’d be happy just driving one of them but I can’t put my licence to use and gain experience. I’ve heard NFU can insure younger drivers to trucks but when I spoke to them, they don’t insure for removal companies.
Please help! Has anyone else had this trouble? And can anyone help me?
Thank you.

£58k is just pathetic !!

As it’s a business surely it’s like fleet insurance so a single premium covers all vehicles used by company?

Even with new passes it’s usually an slight increase and bigger excess - nowhere near £58k!

That cost sounds like your insuring yourself rather than business insuring you?

Even if removal work surely goods in transit covers that?

Just because your driving doesn’t justify that quote !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I managed to insure my 19 year old on a Daf 105 artic. My own insurance broker told me there was no way we could get him insured and would not even quote. I had a look on here and there was mention that Towergate insurance had previously covered young drivers so i gave them a call and they were helpful. He is a named driver on the policy and the quote was only £700 more than usual. He had no driving experience as he had done his car licence at 19, then rigid and then artic. Irionically, he has just got his first car and the insurance is sky high!! Good luck, shop around and don’t despair yet.

It annoys me because young drivers get the stick from each end with high insurance premiums and the risk of having a licence revoked at six points. Surely the six points should be the greater deterrent.

However I’m sure there’s statistics out there that will suggest I’m wrong.

toonsy:
It annoys me because young drivers get the stick from each end with high insurance premiums and the risk of having a licence revoked at six points. Surely the six points should be the greater deterrent.

First = insurers
Second = Govt

toonsy:

It’s got nothing to do with which is the greater deterrent, insurance is a business and young drivers are considered the greater risk, and there’s a reason for that.

Though I do sympathise with the responsible and careful young drivers who have to pay higher premiums because of the rest.