POA Vs Break

Just checking something before I start an argument…

POA should be used if you don’t know the length of the “break” will be,

And

Break is a “break” that you know when you need or want to return to work

Is that correct?

I’m aware of the other stipulations around them just need to know this in particular

Not quite.

Firstly according to the written rule, POA should only be used when you’re pre advised of the duration of said period, i.e. “It’s going to be at least an hour before you get loaded/tipped drive” you can then take an hour POA which can then be extended if advised further, totally stupid as it’s completely uncheckable and unenforceable

Secondly breaks can be as long or short as you like there is no legal minimum or maximum length to a break APART FROM satisfying the required driving and WTD breaks.

In other words a 10 minute break is still a 10 minute break it’s of no use towards your driving or WTD required breaks as it’s less than 15 but nonetheless it’s still a 10 minute break, so NO you do not need to know in advance the duration of your breaks, only POA but no-one cares about that part of the POA rule if they happen to care about POA at all.

Ok so for example if you’re being tiped but you don’t know if it will take 10 mins or 50 mins strictly speaking should you put it on break? Because if you have got to be there for when you’re finished you’re not free to do what you like so surely this can’t count as a “break”?

MrGodSquad:
Ok so for example if you’re being tiped but you don’t know if it will take 10 mins or 50 mins strictly speaking should you put it on break? Because if you have got to be there for when you’re finished you’re not free to do what you like so surely this can’t count as a “break”?

REST = free to dispose of your time as you wish
BREAK = not driving or doing other work

MrGodSquad:

You don’t have to be able to do as you like for a break it’s a rest period where you have to be able to freely dispose of your time.

In your scenario where you don’t know how long you’ll be waiting you could legally use break if you’re not working or you could use other work.

For POA you should know roughly how long you’ll be waiting, you don’t necessarily have to be told this by someone else, for instance if you know from experience at the same place how long you’ll be waiting you can book it as POA.
Break is time that can be used exclusively for recouperation but you don’t have to be able to freely dispose of your time, you just have to be able to chill out.
Rest is a period when you can can freely dispose of your time.

tachograph:
you don’t necessarily have to be told this by someone else, for instance if you know from experience at the same place how long you’ll be waiting you can book it as POA.

Ah yes I forgot to include that bit in my other post (tbh I’d forgotten about it altogether) still completely useless and unenforceable though :laughing:

POA does have it’s uses but it is almost useless.

@ MrGodSquad

Be aware that a digital tachograph wrongly counts POA as break so 45 minutes of POA will wrongly reset the driving time on the tachograph display.

Personally I’d always try to avoid using it unless it serves a very specific purpose.

Surely this day and age with updated software to tacho they can stop the POA resetting your driving time and also why can’t you tacho be set to give you a audio warning about coming up on your 4.5 driving hours , say about 4 hrs in and also WTD warnings . Just my thoughts lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk