First time using a curtain side tomorrow - advice

Booked in Tuesday and Wednesday this week with a general haulage firm that uses curtain side trailers. I’ve not used a curtain side before so I’m looking for advice and things to watch out for?

I’ve watched a few youtube videos on how to open/close/use the ratchets, but I’ll ask the employer tomorrow to run through it anyway.

What should I look out for when doing a daily check?

Watch for it smashing you in the face, especially if the wind catches it!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

No harm in asking shows you want to learn,first off check for rips and cuts in the curtain and put them on your check sheet to cover yourself.
Check that the curtains are tight sounds daft but loose curtains will blow about as our driving never a good look,might seem a pain in the ■■■ but before you set off tighten the curtains,pull the strap down a bit on the buckle and pull the buckle towards you minding your fingers and undo it from under the trailer at the back of the trailer there’s 2 levers pull the catch holding the 2 levers so they are free take the bottom handle and pull towards you making sure the handle locates on the gear and tightens the curtains push lever back and do the buckles up,a tighter curtain will drive better when its windy.
When you tip or unload beware as said of the pole giving you a wack bloody hurts lol,take front or back out 1 at a time then slide the other half out and put the pole back just loaded from,to do back up put pole in locate and push the top lever inwards then the bottom lever to locate leave tightening till your done.

Jeff.

stuwozere1:
Watch for it smashing you in the face, especially if the wind catches it!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

That explains the guy i saw doing curtains at coke cola wearing a cricket helmet with face guard then. Presume its cokes ppe.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just spent my first windy day with a curtain sided 7.5 tonner, had 10 minutes wrestling with it, I opened one side for unloading then realised I couldn’t undo the straps so had to open the other side, big mistake thought I was going to lose the curtain. Mental note made for future, if needed turn wagon around, don’t open both sides at once in the wind.

Gav

GavNormandale:
Just spent my first windy day with a curtain sided 7.5 tonner, had 10 minutes wrestling with it, I opened one side for unloading then realised I couldn’t undo the straps so had to open the other side, big mistake thought I was going to lose the curtain. Mental note made for future, if needed turn wagon around, don’t open both sides at once in the wind.

Gav

No fun playing wrestle the curtain when its windy can end up with a face full of dirt and dust never nice,done it with a 45ft never again lol nearly got lifted off the floor

Open and close the side that is facing the wind first. That helps.