Hello - New driver to be

Just wanted to say hello, I’ve been browsing the forum on and off for a while and I’m based in the North East and 36. I’ve decided on driving for a living as i want out my existing job. I have my class 2 lessons and test next week and looking forward to it.

I’m still not sure what driving i want to end up doing but know the goal is to get my class 1. The advantage i have is i have a class 2 multi drop (retail) job i can walk into as someone’s about to retire. The idea being that this will give me the experience along with passing my class 1 which I’m tempted to book into a course straight away after next week. I don’t know how likely i would get a class 1 start even with an agency with no HGV driving experience, from what I’ve seen on you tube videos people really seem to be thrown in at the deep end on those jobs. But i guess as long as you have your wits about you, you could gain a lot of different experience from it.

Another option I’ve looked at is Stobbart’s as a new driver maybe applying after doing some class 2 work. I know there seems to be a stigma about them on here but coming from a company back ground and nothing to compare them with i don’t think ‘they’re way’ would be all to bad and could be another foot on the ladder? I’m also going to look into any decent haulage company’s in the Newcastle area and go see them once I’m working. I’m not to sure if i would want to be away from home for long periods of time like a week plus but it wouldn’t bother me being a away 2-3 days at a time if needed be. Any advice would be appreciated or just to let me know if I’m on the right or wrong track? Thanks :slight_smile: