Hello

Hi guys

Don’s the name. I live a few miles south of Edinburgh. I’ve been trying to get into trucking for the past couple of years.

After years of dead end, low paying jobs I decided to try and get into driving. I’ve been driving for 36 years with a pretty decent record. As such I reckon that driving is the best skill I can offer to a potential employer.

I used to drive 3.5t some 20 odd years ago but hadn’t had the opportunity to do so since. In 2016 I discovered that I had Grandfather rights. I did my CPC with GTG Training in Edinburgh. While I was there one of the instructors advised me to go for my Class 2. He said that 7.5t was usually multidrop which suits younger people rather than me at 50. Jumping in and out of the cab all day might not be much fun. However, I had no money to do my Class 2. Perhaps once I get a good job and a bit money.

I then registered with Blue Arrow in Livingston as a 7.5t agency driver. Blue Arrow has been great with me. They got me a few jobs with Menzies Distribution in order to get me some experience. I would then be able to use that experience to get a full-time job.

Late in 2016, I became seriously ill. I went through a period of treatment and recovery and I am now once again in good health.

Unfortunately despite being in good health and the DVLA liaising with my Doctor in order to ascertain whether my ability to drive was compromised by my treatment they have put me on a medical review licence for LGV and PCV. I have to pass a medical before I can drive either. (I will post separately in regards to my Driver’s Medical.) Saying that I am over 45 and have not had a medical yet.

Medical pending, I want to try again to get into driving. 7.5t would be a start, however, I would at least like to get into Class 2 maybe even Class 1.

Hopefully, the information on this forum can help me progress into full-time driving

Cheers
Don

First well done on getting better. I hope the medical goes ok.

Personally I agree that class 1 is generally the “easier” work.

I don’t know if it is still running but the forum sponsor was running a finance offer that maybe of interest to you

Best of luck

I don’t know if it is still running but the forum sponsor was running a finance offer that maybe of interest to you

Yes, finance is available. It’s no credit check and no background check. You need to be a member of Trucknet. Quite simply, pay the fees less £1000. That’s the deposit sorted. Now sign a mandate for us to collect £100 per month from your credit/debit card.

Very, very simple.

No other offers apply when this finance deal is used. So CAT C is £1400 (£400 deposit) and CE is £1550 (£550 deposit). The same service applies eg free accommodation if you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW. And, of course, you will be trained by a fully qualified and NVDIR registered instructor. 1:1 training as standard and all our CAT C vehicles are purchased new and specced for driver training. In other words, they haven’t been to the moon and back on haulage and then had L plates stuck on them.

Of course the test is taken at our private test centre on site. And this is exactly where you practice.

Cant make it much more straightforward!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’d argue that class 1 can be harder work. More hours and not always more money.

Give 7.5t a go is practically class 2 anyway. You will soon know if you like it or not.

adam277:
I’d argue that class 1 can be harder work. More hours and not always more money.

Give 7.5t a go is practically class 2 anyway. You will soon know if you like it or not.

I thought in general class 1 had less load interaction hence its generally considered easier.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

adam277:

I thought in general class 1 had less load interaction hence its generally considered easier.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes that was my point. Sorry didn’t make it clearer

Thanks for all the replies lads. I’ve done a few runs in 7.5t. Just need to get my medical sorted out.

Pete, thanks for the offer. I’ll bear it in mind when I’m looking to do Class 1 or 2. Right now in my part-time supermarket job, it’s out of the question. Permanently skint

Biker Don:
Thanks for all the replies lads. I’ve done a few runs in 7.5t. Just need to get my medical sorted out.

Pete, thanks for the offer. I’ll bear it in mind when I’m looking to do Class 1 or 2. Right now in my part-time supermarket job, it’s out of the question. Permanently skint

What you mean skint? Go in the professional section and all you are told is how shelf stacking pays more than driving. I don’t know why anyone would leave retail to drive… (says the guy who spent 20 years in supermarkets until last year) :smiley:

A 7.5t lorry job is often very similar to a class 2 job. Often 7.5t wages are similar to class 2 wages as well.
So if you can get a job driving a 7.5t go for it. You don’t need the class 2 or class 1 imo if you can kinda a decent 7.5t job.

I went from doing multi drop in a 7.5t with tail lift and sack barrow to being a artic and wag and drag driver doing multi drop with no tail lift. Ye I have fewer drops but places are harder to get into and everything takes longer in an artic and hand-balling ■■■■■.
I know some people may say I’m nuts and should get another job but I’ve tried trunking and driving for 3/4 hours one way and 3/4 hours back with a 45 minute break and no stopping doesn’t suit me.

adam277:

As I said. Did a few jobs through an agency before I was ill. Loved it… and got paid

kcrussell25:
What you mean skint? Go in the professional section and all you are told is how shelf stacking pays more than driving.

Yeah! They should go for it then. Flexible contracts, 12 - 14 hours a week on minimum wage, awkward hours making it harder to get another job. I must be nuts to leave that

Just applied for a job delivering furniture for £20k (supermarket is £13K)

Biker Don:

kcrussell25:
What you mean skint? Go in the professional section and all you are told is how shelf stacking pays more than driving.

Yeah! They should go for it then. Flexible contracts, 12 - 14 hours a week on minimum wage, awkward hours making it harder to get another job. I must be nuts to leave that

Just applied for a job delivering furniture for £20k (supermarket is £13K)

To be fair they do quote Aldi who do pay more per hour but the rest is the same in terms of low, awkward contract hours.

Good luck with the furniture job