Working Time Directive - 6hr rule

Hi Everyone,
Im sure this has been asked already but everything i read seems to confuse me more.
So I will put it in perspective of what I have been doing.

So I understand that if i work 6 hrs i need to have a 15min break, 6 -9 30 minute break and 9-12 45 mins break.
but i cant seem to find confirmation that i cant work a 6hr period with out a break; for example

i started work at 145 am this morning, at 430am i took a 45 minute break while i waited for a shop to open. I thought this had me covered up until 12 hours later.
so finishing my break at 515am, did i need to take another break before 11 15? or am i covered until 1345?

Ive been working from the below link on the .gov website and it says nothing about going 6 hours with out a break. just that i need to have a total break of the above amounts depending on how long im working for.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … orkers.pdf

Ive even confused my manager, who is pretty sure i needed another break at 1115 but doesnt seem 100% sure when ive discussed it in the above situration.

Thanks in advance

You had a 45min break so that would clear the drive time and working time.Then at 1115 you would need a break of 15 mins to satisfy WTD.

At no period during the shift should the driver work/drive more than 6 hours in total without at least a 15 min break

You 45 min break covered the WTD for the total amount needed for the whole working time in the shift but not the back end working period as that was over 6 hours working time

If you had the 45 min break about half way through that 12 hour shift then all would have been for WTD + EU regs covered - proving the 4.5 driving time break is not breached

WTD not bothered with by authorities since it started by many companies give internal infringements for breaches which could end up with the driver being sacked if it happens too often

Right i c.

I thought i had it all covered.
The Total Breaks Required,
Driving Time.
And now a break every 6 hours.

Seems I can never get home.
I rarely actually do 4.5hrs of driving, although regulary work for 10-11 hours.
I usually have 45 mins break when its convenient with delivery windows,

Well I was trying.
I dont think they will sack me over this,
Not if i get it right from now on.
Wish i did more driving, then it would all be covered under the driving hours.
Sadly I spend most of my time Loading, Unloading and Counting the items ive delivered.

Thanks for your help.

If you’ve got an Android phone, download an app called TachoGuard. It keeps track of all your hours including WTD, and tells you when you need to take a break and for how long

CornishGeek:
I rarely actually do 4.5hrs of driving, although regulary work for 10-11 hours.

If never going over 4.5 hours driving time in a 12 shift then you can take 3 x 15 min breaks as long as the working time between any two of them them does not exceed 6 hours and the breaks have at least a 1 minute gap between start/finish times