Class 2. Need ADR course advice

I am a new class 2 driver and want to get my ADR done. I am paying for it myself and I just want to ask is there any point in me doing tanks and packages or should I just do packages?

Also when would the tanks part of the ADR be needed for a class 2 driver? If indeed it is needed?

Cheers in advance

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Maybe seasonal work in the sticks for central heating oil or gas tanker drivers,

As an aside, make sure your training provider can put your hours towards the DCPC if you need them.

oldwelshdude:
I am a new class 2 driver and want to get my ADR done. I am paying for it myself and I just want to ask is there any point in me doing tanks and packages or should I just do packages?

Hi oldwelshdude,

My honest advice is that you consider your likelihood of needing to drive a tanker.

Only your local knowledge of your area can answer that one I’m afraid.

oldwelshdude:
Also when would the tanks part of the ADR be needed for a class 2 driver? If indeed it is needed?

Cat C driving licence + ADR tanks + UN Class 3 are all needed for this job:

Picture1small.jpg

Cat C driving licence + ADR tanks + UN Class 2 are all needed for this job:

Kif_0527small.jpg

It’s the slack season for both of the above at the moment, but things can alter if you’re in the right place at the right time with the right licence. TBH mate, I’d say it’s unlikely, but you never know.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

I would recommend a residential course, no need to commute daily, mix at night with drivers to revise the course after class ends.
Friendberry training in Somerset may offer discounted courses if you live beyond a radius from Taunton.
I took the packages and tanks with them, with one phone call, they sorted the accommodation in the area.
Some great pubs for evening meals.
Having the tank add on would be handy to keep, if you progressed to class one, for example, refuelling aircraft at any airport.

Thanks guys. I have literally just done my CPC a few weeks ago so I have 5 years to get those hours up.

As for those pictures, yes they helped as the company I am trying to get employment with have 2 class 2 tankers… Plus the drivers here recommended doing packages and tanks as this company can get you doing all sorts.

So I think it will be tanks and packages for me. I have had a few prices already ranging from £522 to £637 including exams. Plus I have been told by two companies they will discount for cash… How much they will discount I do not know yet [emoji4]

We offer ADR, incl tanks, for just £450 to Trucknet users fully inclusive of VAT, exams and accommodation.

Although you have done your cpc, any approved training you complete within the five year period of your cpc will count towards the next 5 years. So, in our case, 28 hours - all for nothing.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

South Wales to Notts might be a bit in travel costs but that still seems like a great offer for you to seriously consider + its a bit of a holiday :smiley:

Wow that sounds like a pretty good deal Peter. So it includes everything I want to do plus accommodation for the week. Are exams included also all for £450■■?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

oldwelshdude:
Wow that sounds like a pretty good deal Peter. So it includes everything I want to do plus accommodation for the week. Are exams included also all for £450■■?

ERR …

Peter Smythe:
We offer ADR, incl tanks, for just £450 to Trucknet users fully inclusive of VAT, exams and accommodation

Sorry the offer was so good to be true I did not read it properly obviously [emoji23]. It is something I will consider.

Its a perfectly straightforward and genuine offer as some other Trucknetters will tell you. Whilst we’ve only been running the course a couple of years, we have a 100% first time pass rate - - so looking good!

And it’s not unusual for folks from South Wales to come to us.

I drove up from The Rhondda to do my class 2 licence. Can’t recommend them enough. Great training centre and staff. :smiley: The accomodation is literally 5 minutes away in the car too.

So when is your next course Peter? Full ADR less explosives and radioactive. Tanks and packages

I did the tanks module even though I’ve never driven a tanker in my life. The nearest I got were canal dredgings in a tipper. For me, the extra day went towards the DCPC.

Pete’s course sounds very good value for money. My five day course was £499 but did not include accommodation. Mine was in Manchester and took place over three weekends, so I didn’t lose any working time.

So when is your next course Peter?

Sorry, I don’t know. You need to call the office 01623 555661 and they will tell you straight away.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Ok I will give a call tomorrow.

Peter Smythe:
Although you have done your cpc, any approved training you complete within the five year period of your cpc will count towards the next 5 years.

Is this definitely the case? I think the requirement is that you do 35 hours in 5 years, and that you can’t do e.g. 70 hours instead to cover yourself for 10 years?

Basket:

Peter Smythe:
Although you have done your cpc, any approved training you complete within the five year period of your cpc will count towards the next 5 years.

Is this definitely the case? I think the requirement is that you do 35 hours in 5 years, and that you can’t do e.g. 70 hours instead to cover yourself for 10 years?

If you have a current DQC expiry dated march 2022 then you can do 35 hours next week which will get you a new DQC issued around February 2022 and expiry dated march 2027

You will have the entitlement that ROG has outlined but a recent change in the rules means that the new card wont arrive until about a month before the expiry of the current one.

Doesn’t make any difference - but just for accuracy.

EDIT: and having read ROG’s post again, ignore what I said as he has already stated it.