Pick your brains

Hello folks,

Got some driving work coming up and just wanted some up to date information.

I work in an office 9-5 Mon to Fri, I’ll only be driving every other weekend for now. I’ve read mixed things about how to record this, some say use a diary others say write it on the printout or tacho?

In regards to the tacho rolls and charts, am I right in thinking the employer would supply this or would I have to go out and buy those? (currently on agency).

Silly question but if the dimensions aren’t on the vehicle certificate, is there an easy way to tell? I know most trailers have it on them but if you were driving a large van for example.

I think that’s all for now, thank you.

just use “?” on tacho and keep a written dairy of in week hours you worked.

Matt87:
Hello folks,

I work in an office 9-5 Mon to Fri, I’ll only be driving every other weekend for now. I’ve read mixed things about how to record this, some say use a diary others say write it on the printout or tacho?

In regards to the tacho rolls and charts, am I right in thinking the employer would supply this or would I have to go out and buy those? (currently on agency).

Silly question but if the dimensions aren’t on the vehicle certificate, is there an easy way to tell? I know most trailers have it on them but if you were driving a large van for example.

I’d personally not bother with nonsense like that. But if I was going to do it I’d use a diary.

Vehicle operator supplies tacho rolls. I certainly wouldn’t buy my own. Just defect it if it doesn’t have one. I have a few in my bag so this issue doesn’t arise. I acquired them over time.

What do you mean the dimensions? Even 7.5t have a vosa plate with all that stuff on it. It will be in the cab somewhere.

Matt87:
I work in an office 9-5 Mon to Fri, I’ll only be driving every other weekend for now.

I assume you mean one day every other weekend :question:

tommymanc:
just use “?” on tacho and keep a written dairy of in week hours you worked.

I’ll look that up, this would be the first time I’ve used my card you see.

sammym:

Matt87:
Hello folks,

I’d personally not bother with nonsense like that. But if I was going to do it I’d use a diary.

Vehicle operator supplies tacho rolls. I certainly wouldn’t buy my own. Just defect it if it doesn’t have one. I have a few in my bag so this issue doesn’t arise. I acquired them over time.

What do you mean the dimensions? Even 7.5t have a vosa plate with all that stuff on it. It will be in the cab somewhere.

Thanks bud, I mean width and height etc. Reason I asked was that when I Googled it I saw some didn’t show this information. When I passed my test I didn’t get a proper look you see.

Your post has put my mind at ease cheers.

ROG:

Matt87:
I work in an office 9-5 Mon to Fri, I’ll only be driving every other weekend for now.

I assume you mean one day every other weekend :question:

Yes sorry, correct.

Matt87:

The first time you insert your driver card use the ? symbol for all the time up-to the start of the current shift, after the first time you use your driver card use the ? symbol for the time since the end of the last shift,

In any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you need to keep a record of any other work (none HGV driving work) you’ve done since the last weekly rest period, legally these records should be manually written on charts or printouts and need only to show the start and finish times.

Having said that it seems that the DVSA will accept records kept in a diary/notepad.

You need to keep these records with you for 28 days after the record was made.

Matt87:

The transport company will supply printing paper rolls and they’re legally required to do so, make sure there’s enough in the tachograph and preferably a spare roll somewhere in the cab, if there’s not enough printing paper ask in the transport office for a roll.

(Only an idiot would defect a vehicle because there’s no printing paper in the tachograph when all you have to do is walk into the transport office and ask for a roll :unamused: )

Matt87:

I assume you mean the height, carry a tape measure with you and use it if the height isn’t marked on the vehicle :wink:

Good luck with the driving work :wink:

Most hgvs are 8 foot 2 or 2.5m wide. If you work on this even if driving the van you wont go wrong. As others have said height should be marked but always check for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

tachograph:
(Only an idiot would defect a vehicle because there’s no printing paper in the tachograph when all you have to do is walk into the transport office and ask for a roll :unamused: )

As that was clearly directed at me I think you should wind your neck in.

What is ‘defecting’ a vehicle? It’s nothing more than going into the transport office and saying you won’t drive it until something is sorted. In this case, until you have some paper.

sammym:

tachograph:

As that was clearly directed at me I think you should wind your neck in.

What is ‘defecting’ a vehicle? It’s nothing more than going into the transport office and saying you won’t drive it until something is sorted. In this case, until you have some paper.

I think you’ll find most people regard defecting a vehicle involves filling in a defect form, but anyway why would anyone go to the transport office and refuse to drive a vehicle when a reasonable person would just ask for a roll of printing paper.

There’s no need for any fuss or drama when all you have to do is ask.

Sent from my mobile.

El Deano:
Most hgvs are 8 foot 2 or 2.5m wide. If you work on this even if driving the van you wont go wrong. As others have said height should be marked but always check for yourself.

How can height be marked? Different unit, new tyres, use a tape measure yourself, ignore what anyone tells you and check it yourself

tachograph:

Matt87:

The first time you insert your driver card use the ? symbol for all the time up-to the start of the current shift, after the first time you use your driver card use the ? symbol for the time since the end of the last shift,

In any week that you drive in-scope of EU regulations you need to keep a record of any other work (none HGV driving work) you’ve done since the last weekly rest period, legally these records should be manually written on charts or printouts and need only to show the start and finish times.

Having said that it seems that the DVSA will accept records kept in a diary/notepad.

You need to keep these records with you for 28 days after the record was made.

Matt87:

The transport company will supply printing paper rolls and they’re legally required to do so, make sure there’s enough in the tachograph and preferably a spare roll somewhere in the cab, if there’s not enough printing paper ask in the transport office for a roll.

Matt87:

I assume you mean the height, carry a tape measure with you and use it if the height isn’t marked on the vehicle :wink:

Good luck with the driving work :wink:

Thank you Tachograph, very informative and I appreciate your effort.

El Deano:

Thanks man, good to have a rough guide!

So I ended up driving a 3.5 tonne van which is fine as I’ve done that before and also I’d never really delivered properly before so all in all had a good day. Very satisfying when the customer is happy and you’re on your way to the next! (I’m sure there are a few grins out there waiting for the novelty to wear off lol)

It will be interesting to see how I feel when I am staring at the 4 walls of my office Monday morning.

A few other firsts for me today were keeping an eye on the fridge as I went and using a fuel card! Top tip for anyone who hasn’t used one, note your reg number and mileage otherwise you have to annoy the cashier while you do a lap of the car park.

I think it was the first time I haven’t been annoyed to work on a Saturday! :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all of your help guys I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions as next time I’ll almost certainly be in something bigger :slight_smile:

Sounds like you had a really good day, hopefully it will get better and better :smiley:

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:
Sounds like you had a really good day, hopefully it will get better and better :smiley:

Sent from my mobile.

Sorry bud I didn’t see you’d replied, yes I did thank you and here’s hoping I agree.

In a bit of a difficult dilemma whether I give up the office job for the driving, the difficulty is I have a 7 month old so at the moment the regular hours suit but I find it boring.

Folks,

In an agency scenario where you just turn up and the truck is being loaded before you’re called out, but then you need to move it to do your checks as that’s the only loading bay…

What happens with the tacho? Do you move the vehicle in yard and then put your card in?

Just wondering with the whole put the card in for 15 minute checks.

Matt87:
Folks,

In an agency scenario where you just turn up and the truck is being loaded before you’re called out, but then you need to move it to do your checks as that’s the only loading bay…

What happens with the tacho? Do you move the vehicle in yard and then put your card in?

No such rule in law for 15 min checks

All work done must be recorded on the tacho so whether you put tacho in or do manual entry is up to you

ROG:

Matt87:
Folks,

No such rule in law for 15 min checks

All work done must be recorded on the tacho so whether you put tacho in or do manual entry is up to you

No you’re right, I think I’ve just put that in my head when I’ve watched people on YouTube.

So really I could put my tacho in when I get to the truck once it’s all loaded, move it and do my checks no problem?

If that’s the case I feel a bit stupid for having my original impression in mind lol :blush: